Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! really patchy henna and indigo

Exclamation Help! really patchy henna and indigo

Hey everyone,

I feel like I made an awful mistake. I had grown my virgin roots out to about 5 inches, but I got so tired of the half blond/half ash brown look. I also wanted to give my hair a bit more volume and texture. I thought henna + indigo would be perfect.

So, I did a test strand and it came out a really lovely chestnut brown.

But then I did the all over application. First I did the indigo. It turned my bleached ends blue, which I expected.

Then I did the henna. My roots are red. My grown out, unbleached length is patchy black/chestnut brown, and my ends are green/light brown.

I don't know what to do! I am considering going to a salon with my henna and indigo (I have half a box left over of each) and asking someone to reapply it.

I am afraid they will tell me to cut my hair or bleach it. My ends are just so dry and damaged already. I don't want to bleach.

I could try to first remove some henna with oil, and then reapply on the ends. What do you recommend?

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Help! really patchy henna and indigo

Quote Originally Posted by Jesmonster2 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I feel like I made an awful mistake. I had grown my virgin roots out to about 5 inches, but I got so tired of the half blond/half ash brown look. I also wanted to give my hair a bit more volume and texture. I thought henna + indigo would be perfect.

So, I did a test strand and it came out a really lovely chestnut brown.

But then I did the all over application. First I did the indigo. It turned my bleached ends blue, which I expected.

Then I did the henna. My roots are red. My grown out, unbleached length is patchy black/chestnut brown, and my ends are green/light brown.

I don't know what to do! I am considering going to a salon with my henna and indigo (I have half a box left over of each) and asking someone to reapply it.

I am afraid they will tell me to cut my hair or bleach it. My ends are just so dry and damaged already. I don't want to bleach.

I could try to first remove some henna with oil, and then reapply on the ends. What do you recommend?
    If you have blonde hair/ or bleach, the hair needs a red filler first and then you can go brown. You kind of did it the reverse, and indigo on bleach or light blonde hair will always stain green.

Why oh why didn't you read through all the henna threads on here. I have mentioned it so often by now. Oh gosh, it's that I feel so bad for you.

I would try another henna application, TBH.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Don't go near bleach with indigo in your hair! (I know you don't want to bleach anyway, but don't let anyone or anything persuade you either.)

I have read of some people being able to pull out some of the indigo with oil, but I don't know whether that would make things any better or even worse, if it pulls out more from some areas and not others.

Are you concerned at all about it going too dark? If not I think you could probably redo it (but henna first, then indigo) without much risk. If you are concerned about too dark, you could just try henna again as lapushka suggested. If not, and you want something to hold you over until you've done some more research and decided how to proceed, you could put a deposit-only colour over it to make it a bit more even but I don't know what colour and how that would go over the different bits, so I guess you'd need to strand test that as well.

If you can live with it, I'd suggest just keeping it up in a bun for now because whatever you try next needs to be a thought-out, reasoned decision not made in panic mode
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! Half-inching onwards to Calf.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Oil doesn't remove henna, and only sometimes puts a dent in indigo, so I wouldn't try that expecting results

Do you know if it's patchy because of uneven application or because of how you applied it or did it take unevenly to your hair?

Also, generally you do henna THEN indigo for black, or dye release the henna, then add indigo, blend the muds and apply them to your hair for brown.

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

To use indigo, you always use henna first. You can do a full henna followed by indigo or a henndigo followed by indigo. I have two suggestions. Do a full henna or henndigo keeping either on for 3 - 4 hours. Rinse well using nothing containing oil. Towel dry then apply your indigo mixed with a bit of salt to help it stick. Leave that on for 1 to 2 hours. Rinse well with nothing containing oil. Carefully detangle, dry then bun. Don't use any hair products for 48 to 72 hours then wash and condition your hair. That should take care of the patchiness.

IF you don't want to do that or are concerned the henna/indigo will go too dark, use a deposit only dye like Manic Panic or Adore. That will cover the patchiness but you will have to repeat the process as it wears off.

ALSO, never bleach hair that has indigo in it even if you think the indigo is gone. It's still there and can give some really funky results.
    SL-->APL-->BSL-->MBL-->WL-->HL-->BCL-->TBL-->CL--->
    ~~~~~
    I henna!

Hi everyone, thank you for the advice!

I did a couple oil treatments because I thought it couldn't hurt. My hair is soft now, and because I washed the oil out a few times, the henna is a bit less bright at the top. Some of the indigo and henna did come out because I saw it on my towel.

I decided to just do a really quick henna on the ends, since they are they only greenish bit.They were already looking more brown. I think it helps that I didn't leave the indigo or henna on very long the first time. I only did 25 minutes each. Now I am doing henna just on the ends for 15 minutes. I will see how that comes out pretty soon. I can live with the ends being a different color than the roots as long as they aren't green.

I am totally okay with braiding and bunning my hair until it grows out if this round of henna doesn't help. I guess I will wait for my roots to get to chin length and then decide if I want to cut it. I had already been thinking about cutting the bleached ends anyway, and I figured I would eventually have to since they are so dry and damaged. Fortunately, I look cute with a short bob.

I will update you when I finish this round of henna. If I can figure out how to include a picture, I will.

I don't know why I mixed up the order with the henna and indigo. I do have adhd, so I tend to get exciteda bout new things and then just go ahead and do things without thinking it through. Oh well! Thank you all again for all of your helpful advice!

Oh, and something nice that did come out of this is that my roots look great! I really like the reddish brown shade and my hair looks so much shinier and fuller than it did before. If I can fix this, I think I will stick with henndigo but doing things in the proper order.
    Last edited by Jesmonster2; September 11th, 2019 at 04:35 AM.

https://imgur.com/a/XHM75l5
    https://imgur.com/a/X4a48pP
    https://imgur.com/a/scCnbJA
    https://imgur.com/a/nm36frC

It looks a little better. It is still patchy. Do you think I should do one more henna application on the ends?

Okay, here is a better picture.
    https://imgur.com/a/4B2IG91

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Not gonna lie, it is a little patchy... and greenish (not fully green, thank GOD!) and so I think this isn't a huge huge problem. Your roots, until about ear/chin look amazing, though.

I have to admit, I had imagined it far far worse than it looks!

Maybe it needs a few more rounds of henna, but I'm not sure how dark you want to go, what exactly your recipe is (maybe it's good to share it so we can look it over).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0"/MBL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Jesmonster2 View Post
    Okay, here is a better picture.
    https://imgur.com/a/4B2IG91
    Oh that's not so bad!

Maybe I'm a complete weirdo but I think you could leave it alone and rock it just like that. Braided the green hue could look really pretty. If you aren't opposed some delicate layering could break it up a bit too. It reminds me a bit of a water color dyeing technique just not as many colors as evenly distributed.

I think if it were me I'd mix a pastel teal fashion shade (manic panic or artic fox) with your conditioner (1/4 color. 3/4 conditioner) and just apply that in the parts of my hair that from the ear down then leave it there for 3 minutes once a week.

If you're okay with a mermaid look and have a job that would allow for it that would be an optimal way to hide the patchiness. A similar color would help it blend it out then as it grows longer you could stop doing the treatments all together and hit it with some clarifying shampoo to help it release when you're ready for the teal to come out. When it's longer that stuff will be on the tips so it won't be as noticeable. T
    he plus side to this idea is that just like henna and indigo dyes like manic panic and arctic fox are conditioning so they make hair look more healthy instead of damaging it but unlike henna/indigo they aren't permanent. So, if you get bored with it you won't be stuck.

I don't know... that idea might not fit with your lifestyle of aesthetic but it's another idea for dealing with it that doesn't involve all of the complexities of henna and indigo.

Last edited by jane_marie; September 11th, 2019 at 08:35 AM.