Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight non stop. Supplements to blame?

Default Gaining weight non stop. Supplements to blame?

Please help! I started taking 5,000 biotin and 1,000 MSM in Middle February 2019. The past 6 months I keep gaining and gaining weight despite eating and exercising the same. Some of my clothes is starting to get tight and barely close. Every time I weigh myself it seems like I've gained. I am 36 years old and have never gained weight this rapidly before. The only change I've made in the past 6 months is adding these supplements. I just read some people react bad to MSM and gain weight due to bloating and water retention.

Has anyone else experienced this side effect from either biotin or MSM? I'm seriously considering quitting them even though I do believe they help my hair growth.
    Goal tailbone to classic
    Natural dark blonde
    Fine and Slightly wavy

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Gaining weight non stop. Supplements to blame?

The only way to find out for sure is to stop. Are they separate or combined? You could stop only one for two or three months and see if that makes a difference, then if not stop the other. It would not surprise me though, those are both pretty potent supplements and usually have noticeable effects on the body whether they help your hair/nails or not.
    Growing back to calf with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    17,5/24/?
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I'm sure I have read some other members have gained weight because of biotin.

I know that MSM can cause stomach problems if the dose is too high. I would try with a lower dose. I have sometimes heard that you should start MSM with a (very) low dose, and go gradually higher, and when the stomach issues starts you know it's too much. So at that point you lower the dose a bit and know you have find the optimal dose for yourself.
    I have heard the mermaids singing... and I do think that they will sing to me...

Don't miss the LHC Book Club!

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I have been experiencing the same. I take 3 grams of MSM powder with vitamin C (1 month in) and have gained weight as well but my eating and exercise habits didn't change. I will stop taking MSM for a while to see what happens.

Type
    1a/F/i

Might be worth considering a trip to the doc for a check up too.

October 2007 at the Mara Hippo Lodge in Kenya

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I have "heard", so this is not fact, that biotin can cause weight gain in some people.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Waist/???
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I have gained quite a lot of weight due to biotin. Never lost it.

I just started taking msm and this thread is scaring me
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Questions: Does the weight gain appear to be muscle or fat? How are your measurements (bust/waist/hip circumference) doing?
    Somebody give me a magic wand I can wave and make everybody content with his or her own hair! If that same magic wand could also end all hair discriminatory attitudes on the part of society in general... A magic wand would be so grand...

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/39in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

Supplements tend to act on ghrelin and leptin hormones. These are the hormones responsible for appetite and appetite suppression. The supplements in and of themselves do not contain macro nutrients that the body breaks down and either uses for energy or stores as unused energy. In is basic math concerning weight gain and weight loss. Calories in vs. calories out. Your individual nasal metabolic rate is what your body burns just to stay alive and be at maintenance. If you eat less than this you will lose weight, if you eat more than that you will gain weight.

Eating and exercising the same will not mean that you won’t gain weight. You need to train in such a way to provoke an adaptation reaction which will lead to a gradual increase in muscle mass, which will increase your basal metabolic rate leading to further weight loss. Or create a caloric deficit large enough to still lose weight.

Even though you may think you’re eating the same, visible weight gain proves that to be not correct. We all tend to think we are eating relatively the same amount of calories, but again, basic math and calories in vs. calories will reveal to us just how much we are or or not eating. It’s up to us to really see just how much we eat. If you aren’t actively measuring or weighing out every last gram of food, you are basically guessing or estimating how much you eat. That’s not to say the supplements aren’t causing an increase in appetite. If they are then I think it would be safe to say you could stop using them if you wanted to. But once again, it is it the actual supplements themselves causing this perceived weight gain, but how they interact with your body and hormones, and how they affect your appetite.
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Interesting. There are medications that act on neurotransmitters in such a way that they cause your body to store the energy rather than use it (hello, amitriptyline) but I can't remember how exactly*. Is it possible supplements could also have an effect that way?

[*I read about it back when I still had some intelligence left and could understand what I was reading at the time, but the brainfog meant I already couldn't retain the details of new concepts very well.]
    Growing back to calf with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness