Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: September 2019: Frida Kahlo Braids

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default September 2019: Frida Kahlo Braids

Two braids using a thin scarf as a braid strand, wrapped and pinned like Heidi braids. Decorate with flowers or a large bow if you wish!

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    8"/bel/termi
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: September 2019: Frida Kahlo Braids

Oh my gosh, that looks so easy and like it will really hold your hair securely without pulling. I will DEFINITELY try this! Thank you. <3
    Jen

Mustang mare Zipporah

Length
    24/38.25/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Ooh, another style I can do pretty easily! Now, which scarf do I use

hair-brained
    Length
    pixi/butt/butt+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I did a test run on dirty hair, and I found that I need to use a bunch of pins to hide the tassels. I tried wrapping the ends of the scarf differently but it was no help. So for me it wasn't as easy as the video made it seem... but definitely doable!
    ᛃ 2008: 33cm/13" ᛃ 2015: 41cm/16" 2021: 104cm/42"
    instagrampre-poocwc wccpuppy

Length
    BSL/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I've been trying it out with ribbon since I don't own a thin scarf (I've never used one on my hair before and I need thick scarves to keep me warm in winter) and the results were nice but not nice enough. I have to practice more, but I like this style!

I don't have any scarves small enough, but a wide ribbon might be nice. (the only problem I find with doing Heidi braids with a ribbon in them is that the ribbon then blocks my hair pins. I could easily ruin a scarf that way...)

Length
    BSL/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    the only problem I find with doing Heidi braids with a ribbon in them is that the ribbon then blocks my hair pins. I could easily ruin a scarf that way...
    Then maybe try it without pins? Make sure your scarf/ribbon is long enough to tie around your head, or is your hair too slippery for it to stay that way?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Eagerly tried it, but this is a terrible style on me (as is Heidi braids). It makes the back of my head look flat; downright deformed. I did keep the scarf idea and made a headband to wrapped bun style.

Length
    24/38.25/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Eagerly tried it, but this is a terrible style on me (as is Heidi braids). It makes the back of my head look flat; downright deformed. I did keep the scarf idea and made a headband to wrapped bun style.
    It will probably do the same for me, I hadn't thought about that. I do wrap over the top when I'm wearing a scarf over my hair, but I usually have a bun under there in back! Hm. I might just decide not to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I don't have any scarves small enough, but a wide ribbon might be nice. (the only problem I find with doing Heidi braids with a ribbon in them is that the ribbon then blocks my hair pins. I could easily ruin a scarf that way...)
    I worry about that too. I think I'd try grabbing one of the strands that's actually hair and trying to pin only through that strand of the braid. Even so, it might be worth trying with a scarf or ribbon that you don't mind puncturing or that you will only wear in your hair so that puncture marks won't matter. Some people seem to be able to thread pins through scarves without breaking any threads. I am not one of those people, generally.
    Last edited by enting; September 4th, 2019 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariekeeee14 View Post
    Then maybe try it without pins? Make sure your scarf/ribbon is long enough to tie around your head, or is your hair too slippery for it to stay that way?
    It would slip riiiiiight off the back.