Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: September 2019: Frida Kahlo Braids

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: September 2019: Frida Kahlo Braids

Ok after redoing it last night and attempting approximately a thousand more bathroom shots, I have a photo.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Congrats on making this work, AR and enting. It looks good.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Very nice!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/KNEE/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Thank you!
    I think there are a lot of variables to making it work. Hair length and thickness, scarf length and thickness, etc.

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    Ok after redoing it last night and attempting approximately a thousand more bathroom shots, I have a photo.
    Beautiful. If I did not have such a round face I would try this.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Beautiful, enting. AmaryllisRed I can’t see your photo but I have no doubt that your hair looks stunning

I gave it a try. My first attempt was hilarious. I left the braid tassels too long and they flopped forwards so I looked like I had spaniels ears on the top of my head,

The second attempt was better, I got the braid tassels encased in the scarf, which means this could be a fairly protective style, I think? One side did a weird floppy bulge though, I think the plait was too loose.

I’ll keep trying. I think this could be a good style for some of us shorter haired people because the scarf provides extra length.

I wonder if there is a Polish equivalent? My dad said that his mum used to wear her hair in twin braids, and I know ribbons and flowery headbands were part of the national costume (at least they were part of the costumes given to me as a child). I’ll have to investigate.
    Last edited by Lady Stardust; September 6th, 2019 at 03:28 PM.

Me again. Iím a bit nervous of posting my attempt because itís mostly scarf showing, but thatís partly because I tucked the scarf over the tassels to hide the hair ties.

Itís the most comfortable style Iíve ever worn I donít need any pins as long as the scarf passes in front of the braids. Iíve had a lot of migraines recently so this style is perfect.

Length
    neck/BSL/~
    Type
    2a/C/ii

Gah! This style is stunning, you all look so good in it!
    I attempted it too since it seemed to be doable with shorter hair, and it sure was, but the elastics were...very visible (I picked bright ones, so I don't know what I was expecting), and so were my ends (tried to hide them in the scarf). Here is my first and only attempt, looks so so for the reasons mentioned + that I managed to get bulges of hair on the back. Making the photo as a link since it looked the best from the front and I don't want to taint the thread with my face

This updo is very similar to my goal hair style, what I want to wear every day when I'm able to (just two normal braids, with ribbon braided with them, wrapped around the head and tied with the ribbon in the back)... I realised one thing when making this one, though, the compression headache that I can get from headbands with knots on them, or headsets that goes over the head, I got from this style pretty much straight away, and it wasn't tight or anything. Such a bummer, now I know that I won't be able to wear my favorite style unless I want to eat painkillers as well... Not sure what to do with this information, what should I look forward to now? :/
    Last edited by Estrid; September 7th, 2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Slowly getting there

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bparnell75 View Post
    Beautiful. If I did not have such a round face I would try this.
    That's funny you say that because I think my face is relatively round. I say try it anyway, you might be surprised

Lady Stardust, I love yours! I know what you mean about encasing the ends inside the scarf, I did that so my ends wouldn't floop out but it's also very protective that way.

Estrid, it looks gorgeous! (I also had bulges at the back and it looked best from the front.) I would check if a thicker scarf feels the same way instead of a thin ribbon. A wider surface might hurt less, possibly. Pancaking the braid might help a bit to soften the feel of it. As your hair gets longer might it also distribute weight a bit differently and hurt less?
    If nothing else, consider a crown braid instead? That gathers hair from all around the head and feels less like a headband. I hope you find something that works so you can wear your favorite style!
    Last edited by enting; September 7th, 2019 at 01:27 PM.

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My hair is too long for this style Its just like a crown braid for me but more annoying.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!