Thread: coffee for darkening hair?

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: coffee for darkening hair?

Quote Originally Posted by iamjessica26 View Post
    I had looked into the walnut shells and I found a walnut powder. My only problem with that is I am a preschool teacher and I have a boy in my class that is deathly allergic to walnuts and pistachios and I'm not sure if that would send him into anaphylactic shock. We have his epi pen in our classroom but I really don't want to stab a child with a 3 inch long needle anytime soon
    Ooooh yikes, yes I see! Maybe something like Adore or Manic Panic would be safer then!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Ooooh yikes, yes I see! Maybe something like Adore or Manic Panic would be safer then!
    I will look into it! I found one called Overtone that keeps popping up on facebook that seems very good. If my thoughts overcome will my will then I will know better methods

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'd definitely give amla powder ago, over coffee! For sure. I have no personal experience with it, but I have done a coffee rinse once and my hair never darkened from it - granted my hair was already darker than it is now so... hard to tell, maybe.

You look like you have very smooth hair, and I think it's gorgeous!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I'd definitely give amla powder ago, over coffee! For sure. I have no personal experience with it, but I have done a coffee rinse once and my hair never darkened from it - granted my hair was already darker than it is now so... hard to tell, maybe.

I will definitely look into that too! I've used coffee before but just as an exfoliant I only left it on for like 5 minutes. I'd be happy if it just reduces the orange parts those are what bothers me the most. and for some reason my roots are fading into a weird blonde.. I'm going to the store today I'll look for some. Wish me luck!
    and thank you! It has been much less frizzy and smoother since starting CO washing!
    Last edited by iamjessica26; September 2nd, 2019 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post

Ok I did the Amla powder! So I could only find it in capsules and I was too impatient to buy it online, so yes lots of time breaking them all open. And it made it lighter! I wasn't sure how it would turn out with all the dye but my husband agreed definitely lighter! Not bad though lol it seems maybe a little bit more uniform. Don't mind my crazy poofy bangs

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by iamjessica26 View Post
    Ok I did the Amla powder!
    Woe, your hair looks really nice. The amla seems to have brought out your natural highlights. The result sort of makes sense because Amla is a brown die. I suspect it would have covered the red more if you used a couple of tablespoons more. I wonder what amla in capsules is used for ???