Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Incorrect Terms in Gender Selection on Profile

Length
    Ear L/Ear L/APL?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Incorrect Terms in Gender Selection on Profile

In the selection drop-down for Gender in the About Me section of profiles, the options "Transgendered FTM" and "Transgendered MTF" are not correct terminology. Transgender is not a verb, it's an adjective applied to a person like Latino or tall. Something like "FTM Transgender", " Trans Man", or "FTM Trans" and the MTF equivalents would be more accurate. Props for including an Intersex and Other option though.

Sincerely, your local trans guy
    27yo, bisexual, transgender man (FTM) who misses his long hair! I was last on this forum back in 2013, before my transition, and now I'm back, baby! Growing out a standard cut for a couple months, so I look like Frodo atm

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Incorrect Terms in Gender Selection on Profile

I think the terms are OK the way they are, but that's me. I mean people understand well enough what is meant.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rilig View Post
    In the selection drop-down for Gender in the About Me section of profiles, the options "Transgendered FTM" and "Transgendered MTF" are not correct terminology. Transgender is not a verb, it's an adjective applied to a person like Latino or tall. Something like "FTM Transgender", " Trans Man", or "FTM Trans" and the MTF equivalents would be more accurate. Props for including an Intersex and Other option though.

Sincerely, your local trans guy
    That terminology was chosen many years ago. Perhaps the use of language has changed? I think the moderators would be happy to change the terms to be what is accepted by the community that uses them.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I think the terms are OK the way they are, but that's me. I mean people understand well enough what is meant.
    But transgendered is not the correct word. That would be like calling it "The Swop Bored" and saying "well you understand what we meant" lol.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Cut back to BSL 10.21.2019 and the journey starts anew⋆

Length
    Ear L/Ear L/APL?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lithostoic View Post
    But transgendered is not the correct word. That would be like calling it "The Swop Bored" and saying "well you understand what we meant" lol.
    ^Exactly. And I saw the post from when it was added, back in 2008, but, honestly, "transgendered" wasn't really correct then either, although I will ample credit for inclusivity at a time when it wasn't really a thing online at the time.
    Last edited by Rilig; August 29th, 2019 at 02:52 PM.
    27yo, bisexual, transgender man (FTM) who misses his long hair! I was last on this forum back in 2013, before my transition, and now I'm back, baby! Growing out a standard cut for a couple months, so I look like Frodo atm

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

In addition to being incorrect, "transgendered" is often used by transphobes. It's also often used completely innocently by people who don't know the correct terminology, but that association is still there.

It might be time to give the gender options a general update. It isn't 2008 anymore.
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Ninja View Post
    In addition to being incorrect, "transgendered" is often used by transphobes. It's also often used completely innocently by people who don't know the correct terminology, but that association is still there.

It might be time to give the gender options a general update. It isn't 2008 anymore.
    I completely agree, and the terms we use should reflect those that members of these communities feel are the best choices, not the ones outsiders pick.

Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

The options for gender currently are:

Male
    Female
    Intersex
    Transgender MTF
    Transgender FTM
    Other
    Cheese

It does not appear that we are limited to 7 option. I also found a way to turn on a text box so custom entries can be made.

Suggest more appropriate terms to use for any of these and suggest any additional terms.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Ear L/Ear L/APL?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I have the new text box (great idea) but the options still say transgendered? I cleared my cookies. Will it just take a bit for the servers to update or something?

"Nonbinary" would be another good option

Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rilig View Post
    I have the new text box (great idea) but the options still say transgendered? I cleared my cookies. Will it just take a bit for the servers to update or something?

"Nonbinary" would be another good option
    Changed now!

I did a quick search in the members list and it looks like people are going to have to manually change to the new versions, they don't appear to be fields that are changed system wide when I made the edit.

I like the idea of adding nonbinary. Are we missing anything else?

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)