Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Incorrect Terms in Gender Selection on Profile

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Incorrect Terms in Gender Selection on Profile

Yep, happy to change these! I agree that is a very dated phrasing, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Type
    2a/C/ii

I had completely forgotten that we could pick gender on this site, I had to go back and check what in the world I had picked "Other" does pretty much cover whatever isn't mentioned so I suppose I never bothered to think more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    -I like the idea of adding nonbinary. Are we missing anything else?
    I think nonbinary is quite a good term, there are so many labels out there nowadays and apart from the ones already on the list, nonbinary should cover the rest.

Best option is probably just to have a custom text field

Quote Originally Posted by lithostoic View Post
    But transgendered is not the correct word. That would be like calling it "The Swop Bored" and saying "well you understand what we meant" lol.
    Actually, it'd be like saying 'I Swap Boarded that hair toy'. There's a long history of adjectives (and nouns) being verbed. Some people don't like it, but then again, people used to not like sentences ending in prepositions

Length
    Ear L/~18"/APL?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

And thanks so much for responding so quickly!
    A good amount of other identities would fall under the Transgender or Nonbinary umbrella, so I can't think of anything else that sticks out to me

Quote Originally Posted by iforgotmylogin View Post
    Actually, it'd be like saying 'I Swap Boarded that hair toy'. There's a long history of adjectives (and nouns) being verbed. Some people don't like it, but then again, people used to not like sentences ending in prepositions
    If your friend realize they were gay, you wouldn't say to a stranger that they'd "homosexualed". Verbing a noun or adjective is all fine, but it gets offensive when you do it to identities people don't have a choice about in being
    Last edited by Rilig; August 29th, 2019 at 08:40 PM. Reason: ETA: more replies appeared after submitting, oops
    28yo, bisexual, transgender man (FTM) who misses his long hair! I was last on this forum back in 2013, before my transition, and now I'm back, baby!
    Atm, I look like Frodo Aragorn

You mean like when people are called cisgendered? :>

By all means, I take your point about appreciating peoples feelings

Length
    Ear L/~18"/APL?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Have you been called "cisgendered"? I can't remember ever seeing it happen to anyone. I'm sorry if you have, but either way, it's still not correct.
    28yo, bisexual, transgender man (FTM) who misses his long hair! I was last on this forum back in 2013, before my transition, and now I'm back, baby!
    Atm, I look like Frodo Aragorn

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Best option is probably just to have a custom text field

Well I learned something here. That's a fact!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by Rilig View Post
    Have you been called "cisgendered"? I can't remember ever seeing it happen to anyone. I'm sorry if you have, but either way, it's still not correct.
    Personally; no. Collectively - yes. I hear cisgendered and transgendered all the time from the LGBTQI+ community. This is why I think a custom text field is the way to go

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rilig View Post
    And thanks so much for responding so quickly!
    A good amount of other identities would fall under the Transgender or Nonbinary umbrella, so I can't think of anything else that sticks out to me

If your friend realize they were gay, you wouldn't say to a stranger that they'd "homosexualed". Verbing a noun or adjective is all fine, but it gets offensive when you do it to identities people don't have a choice about in being
    I didn't understand at first, but I like your explanation. It is reminiscent of the word "colored".

I live under a rock and can't keep up with any of the newer conversations on gender. At least this thread has been educational.
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

People are called cisgendered often for the same reason people are called transgendered. Some people don't know the correct terms. People use improper grammar all the time, which the innocent usage of "transgendered" and "cisgendered" basically is. Most of the time it's rude to call them on it, for a multitude of reasons, but in this case the improper grammar has negative implications, even if that's not the user's intent, so we need to educate people on the correct terminology.
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.