Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Scandinavian/Nordic people - let's talk about (natural) hair care!

Red face Scandinavian/Nordic people - let's talk about (natural) hair care!

Hello my Nordic fellows!

Since we live up in the North (Gosh, I feel like I'm talking about Game of Thrones's North) we have our own hair struggles: four seasons, which includes cold and dry winter but also hot or at least warm summer. Some of us love to sauna, too (I certainly do!). Typical Scandinavian hair is fine, fragile and not very thick. So, how do we take care our hair in these circumstances? Let's share our hair tips!

It would also be very interesting to know what products do you use. I love organic/natural cosmetics and I know some great Nordic's brands like Nurme, Urtekram and Flow Cosmetics here in Nordic area. I would love to hear your experiments from your local organic brands or brands that are available here in Nordic area.

Can't wait to hear from you, guys!

Length
    tbl/mbl/dunno
    Type
    1a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Scandinavian/Nordic people - let's talk about (natural) hair care!

Great tread idea!

As a fellow ”nordbo” (Finn, to be exact), I’m of Asian descent and have the opposite hair type (and color) of Scandinavians.

I’m also a great lover of sauna, it’s the best
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32426&d=1529747049
    In a constant battle with my hair Dealing with hair loss
    Neck --- SL --- CBL --- APL ---BSL --- ???

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Is there even such a thing as Scandinavian hair? I have seen quite a few people on here, and variations in the people we get here.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/WL/FTL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Is there even such a thing as Scandinavian hair? I have seen quite a few people on here, and variations in the people we get here.
    Typically that refers to thin, straight, fine and light-coloured hair. Not true in my case though.

However we have our issues with weather like the OP said, as well as often not the same brands and products available as other places. Small populations and not a part of the EU has its issues like that. After next year Norway will tax any purchase from other countries too, making it more expensive to buy things like hair sticks, which aren't available at ALL here - because shipping up here just isn't expensive enough as is. Hmf. *stocks up*

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aerya View Post
    Typically that refers to thin, straight, fine and light-coloured hair. Not true in my case though.
    Which is why I think it's rather a historical myth. No?

Typical means most things in a certain group have that trait. Exceptions don't negate what is typical

Length
    CBL/WL/FTL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by iforgotmylogin View Post
    Typical means most things in a certain group have that trait. Exceptions don't negate what is typical
    It's not really that typical though. Most people here have F/M, all thicknesses, and colour ranging from medium blonde to medium brown. Lighter and darker than that aren't that common; which is why I always scoff a bit at the whole "Scandiblonde" word. The most common hair colour in adults is the dark blonde light brown colour, I'd say. Sure, some people have that ultra light blonde naturally, but most of the platinum or even light blonde heads around are bleached.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Which is why I think it's rather a historical myth. No?
    Yup. They often have hair care targeted to "Nordic hair" talking about our fine, fragile hair and of course, how we Nordic ladies looove to keep it natural and ~fresh~ and I'm here with my thick hair and jet black eyeliner like thanks but no thanks And nevermind they're trying to sell chemical dyes and conditioner chock full of cones, we're obviously so much better than those silly bimbos in America because they put wheat protein in!

(Seriously. I can't speak for the rest of the north, but those commercials are ridiculously prevalent here in Norway. It's just the whole ~natural vibes~ circlej*rk commercialized.)

*takes a deep breath*

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I love our autumns and winters but they're definitely not the best time for hair. I think there's a thread for winter hair care somewhere here... but mostly it's about protecting ends. Not leaving my hair flowing in the freezing wind, rain and snow when going outside. Making sure to detangle as gently as possible. I like hot oil treatments since they give slip and some oiliness is okay when my hair is mostly worn up.
    One thing I always forget! Should I wet my hair or not before going to sauna

Urtekram is definitely one of my favorite brands. I like Estonian brand Organic Shop, I've seen it pretty readily available online Their shampoos are really good for me. One brand I'm interested in is Finnish Famo. They make shampoo bars, look at this cutie https://kemikaalicocktail.fi/wp-cont...metiikka.4.jpg

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aerya View Post
    Yup. They often have hair care targeted to "Nordic hair" talking about our fine, fragile hair and of course, how we Nordic ladies looove to keep it natural and ~fresh~ and I'm here with my thick hair and jet black eyeliner like thanks but no thanks And nevermind they're trying to sell chemical dyes and conditioner chock full of cones, we're obviously so much better than those silly bimbos in America because they put wheat protein in!

(Seriously. I can't speak for the rest of the north, but those commercials are ridiculously prevalent here in Norway. It's just the whole ~natural vibes~ circlej*rk commercialized.)

*takes a deep breath*

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
    Loved your talk!

Length
    tbl/mbl/dunno
    Type
    1a/C/ii/iii

It's funny how we can take anything and put it in a hair product Sweet pea conditioner and stinging nettle shampoo.
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32426&d=1529747049
    In a constant battle with my hair Dealing with hair loss
    Neck --- SL --- CBL --- APL ---BSL --- ???