Thread: V cut and layers......or not?

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default V cut and layers......or not?

Hi everyone

I知 having one of those moments where I知 now young(ish), free and single so want to change my hair up. I have hardly any layers in currently and have a blunt straight across hemline that is mid back if pulled straight but bsl when wavy/curly.

I知 thinking of a v cut (never had one!) with layers to boost my curls/waves and just to make it a more interesting shape.

Thing is I have fine hair (lots of it though). This is a link to a pic prior to last trim (this had layers in): https://postimg.cc/gallery/nj8ev0uc/

Question is, would a v cut look ok with my hair type? Or is it for thick hair only? I知 wary of taking the plunge only to find it won稚 work with my hair. I壇 really appreciate your opinions 😀 💐

Length
    4/23/30
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: V cut and layers......or not?

I think you should do a U cut with long round layers. V cuts usually work well with coarse, stick straight hair.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Flossiebell View Post
    Hi everyone

I’m having one of those moments where I’m now young(ish), free and single so want to change my hair up. I have hardly any layers in currently and have a blunt straight across hemline that is mid back if pulled straight but bsl when wavy/curly.

I’m thinking of a v cut (never had one!) with layers to boost my curls/waves and just to make it a more interesting shape.

Thing is I have fine hair (lots of it though). This is a link to a pic prior to last trim (this had layers in): https://postimg.cc/gallery/nj8ev0uc/

Question is, would a v cut look ok with my hair type? Or is it for thick hair only? I’m wary of taking the plunge only to find it won’t work with my hair. I’d really appreciate your opinions �� ��
    I have a V cut w/ layers in my hair as well, this was a home-cut (ponytail on the forehead method). I would never recommend this method for hair that is shorter than waist though!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I've seen V hemlines work on a few different heads of hair here, of different types. I personally think they look less stark on wavy or curly hair, though it also does depend on how blunt the edge is - one 1a member here has a natural V and it's absolutely gorgeous.

If you can, I would recommend first going for a deep U and seeing how you like that, then you can go from there to a V if you want without really losing length. (To go from a V if you don't like it to a U would require a bit of a chop.) As for layers, it really depends on the skill of the stylist; I've seen a few fantastic haircuts on curly hair here that gave amazing shape and life in the layers and didn't even look like any hair was gone! I've never had enough hair for layers though so I don't have any advice how to go about finding a good style/-ist.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I've have a V-shaped hemline for a while now, and I used to have it layered as well. These days I'm almost done growing the layers out, but I do keep the V.

To answer your question, I do think that type of cut works well and looks nice with your hair type. We seem to have pretty close to the same type, and I've always enjoyed the way my hair looks, so I've kept it pretty much the same. My only thought is that it might be best to start with changing ONE thing at a time, as in - get layers, OR get a V-shaped hemline, not both at the same time. It would be cutting off a lot of hair - layers can really thin out the ends (at least for me), and the V-shaped hem makes braid tassels and such seem thinner too.
    Current length: Knee+ at 56"! Next milestone is my final goal length: Upper Calf at 57-58"!
    Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length at 28" since 2016

Length
    28"/35"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Hmm, it looks like we have similar hair type/length though yours is more wavy and less curly. I've had layers, and I can say that they were not the right choice for me. Since we don't have exactly the same hair, take this with a grain of salt, but IMHO layers are a lot of trouble to bun and braid (and they make said buns/braids depressingly thin at the ends) for not nearly enough visual effect. Messing with your hemline isn't something I associate with feeling fun/cute, and it's drastic enough that I wouldn't do it just for a lark. Especially because you have such a wonderful hemline and curl pattern right now! Your hair looks amazing in those pictures!

If you're looking for something fun, how about a different appearance change, like wearing clothes outside your comfort zone or getting a cartilage piercing? Or, if you really want to alter your hair, get subtle bangs or face-framing layers, which will be more noticable than a hemline cut but put less of your hair at risk.
    .................................................. ............... .......
    ................................ ......................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC

I have the same cut as lapushka, but about BSL and with bangs. I have thick straight hair though

Looks aside, I find it dries quicker and needs less product than hair all the same length. Not what you asked, but there ya have it

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by iforgotmylogin View Post
    I have the same cut as lapushka, but about BSL and with bangs. I have thick straight hair though

Looks aside, I find it dries quicker and needs less product than hair all the same length. Not what you asked, but there ya have it
    Dries quicker? Yep, a bit. I am still clocking in at 8+H with my layers. Now granted this is classic length and I am comparing to when it was still waist and all blunt. Same amount of drying time.

I love this cut! But on BSL? I don't know, you'd have to have major rock dude vibes.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)