Thread: Silk Press Thread

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/37in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Silk Press Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Nevertheless, blow drying on high heat to get it as smooth as possible, then straightening on the hottest temperature? I don't think that's a good idea - at all. And a lot of people might not get heat damage from one go, but you can't keep this up or it is going to end in disaster. There's a reason you don't see this done often on natural channels!
    Thatís literally what I said:

ďItís also partially called a silk press because it is a service that isnít done oftenĒ

Or where I said:

ďI have no idea where this assumption is coming from...that many natural do this frequently.Ē

And Where did you see me say that high heat isnít damaging? I donít know why you're assuming this isnít something I donít already know.
    Last edited by AutobotsAttack; August 21st, 2019 at 04:35 PM.
    https://media0.giphy.com/media/xcElt...&rid=giphy.gif
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic!

Length
    short/?/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I was very confused by Lapushka's response to you as well, Autobots...

Anyway, I just wanted to quote this because it is such a sage observation...

Quote Originally Posted by AutobotsAttack View Post
    I'm also kind of amused, by how some of the posters on here are so quick to criticize literally anything. Hair can still grow long with the occasional use of heat. I apply a chemical straightener to my hair, and it is currently, pretty much classic length. I think it’s obvious that length is still attainable with a structured, well thought out, regimen, and adhering to basic principles and understanding how hair behaves in general.
    Thank you for your insight and clear thinking.

Length
    SL/WL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I totally agree with what AutobotsAttack is saying. Just because you use heat on your hair does not mean you cannot grow to extreme lengths.I've been able to grow to 2 inches below WL and I only blow dry on low heat. You cannot avoid using heat sometimes. I've even said in my OP that, "Every time I use heat I use a heat protectant." What is wrong with using a blow dryer or a flat-iron to get bone straight hair?

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    I totally agree with what AutobotsAttack is saying. Just because you use heat on your hair does not mean you cannot grow to extreme lengths.I've been able to grow to 2 inches below WL and I only blow dry on low heat. You cannot avoid using heat sometimes. I've even said in my OP that, "Every time I use heat I use a heat protectant." What is wrong with using a blow dryer or a flat-iron to get bone straight hair?
    In what scenario can you not avoid using heat?

I don't consider WL to be an extreme length. You also said you only use low heat. This video is definitely not low heat.

It's not "wrong" it's just damaging. Heat protectant doesn't miraculously evade the mechanical damage from brushes and of course, that high amount of heat. It's still happening and effecting the strands. Yes it definitely provides a buffer that not using any heat protectant would (though I recall a study that disproves certain types of heat protectants) but it's not the panacea of potential damage. Not all damage is shown by loss of curls, but that's what happened to me so that's what I refer too. That's the worst type of damage outside of breakage, IMO. The hair will never be the same until it's gone. And it only takes once.
    [ SL | CBL | APL | BSL | WL | HL ]

Length
    SL/WL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    In what scenario can you not avoid using heat?

I don't consider WL to be an extreme length. You also said you only use low heat. This video is definitely not low heat.

It's not "wrong" it's just damaging. Heat protectant doesn't miraculously evade the mechanical damage from brushes and of course, that high amount of heat. It's still happening and effecting the strands. Yes it definitely provides a buffer that not using any heat protectant would (though I recall a study that disproves certain types of heat protectants) but it's not the panacea of potential damage. Not all damage is shown by loss of curls, but that's what happened to me so that's what I refer too. That's the worst type of damage outside of breakage, IMO. The hair will never be the same until it's gone. And it only takes once.
    The scenerio that I can't avoid using heat is that I like for my hair to be straight. Not curly all of the time.

I know that WL isn't extreme lengths. That's not what I was talking about. I was talking about growing to longer lengths than what my length is now.

Yes, I did say that I use low heat, and through my experience using a heat protectant is like a buffer to protect is against heat. But I have not seen any mechanical damage. Or, I haven't seen any damage at all. Or, I wouldn't have reached the length that I'm at now. i would've had to cut off some hair, and start all over again if it was damaged, and it's not just because I use 5 minutes of heat.

And let me tell you something....another lady I know named, "JJJLonghair," uses heat on her hair after every wash. But when she was wearing her hair to her knees she said on her webpage that she used a blow dryer after every wash but she was only washing her hair once a week. So, you can have extemely long hair and use heat on it without it getting damaged. You just have to know the right products to use to prevent the damage. Here's the link to her webpage:

http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/6.html
    Last edited by Dark40; August 21st, 2019 at 07:21 PM.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

A blow dryer on warm/cool is fine (not high heat), but a straightener or curling iron can give you white dots and break the hair. It is not an innocent tool.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    13/32/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I'm not experienced with anything like this. Just want to say to OP that I think 3a hair is just dreamy. Curls are sooo pretty. One of my sons has long curly hair. I can't take my eyes off his hair if he's walking ahead of me.

As with all things, individual results can and will vary.

Obviously you know how to use heat. And you know how to stave off damage from that heat. AND, your hair responds favorably to heat.

My hair, on the other hand, does not. It is very sensitive to heat. And judging from the responses, I'm not alone in that.

As is true for so many things, individual results will vary.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by cjk View Post
    As with all things, individual results can and will vary.

Obviously you know how to use heat. And you know how to stave off damage from that heat. AND, your hair responds favorably to heat.

My hair, on the other hand, does not. It is very sensitive to heat. And judging from the responses, I'm not alone in that.

As is true for so many things, individual results will vary.
    As long as you know what you're getting yourself in for when high heat is concerned, all the better. I'm not knocking it, just pointing out the dangers, because it's not generally considered good hair care, I'm afraid.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

I don't understand why some of the responses to this thread are so.... heated.

[ SL | CBL | APL | BSL | WL | HL ]