Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve spent money on for your hair?

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve spent money on for your hair?

Quote Originally Posted by KameRose View Post
    I don't necessarily think the things I've bought directly for my hair are ridiculous, but the things I've tangentially bought for my hair..... well that is a whole other ball game.

I mean hair toy making supplies, like "I just bought a bunch of sandpaper for my hair." or "I just ordered some automotive polish for my hair." Even "I just bought 5 pounds of rice for my hair." Those are just such a weird things to think.

Then there is hair toy storage. "I need to buy over 100 adhesive hooks for my hair." and "I've bought almost 50 small clear plastic drawers for my hair." Then "I bought a vintage paint brush store display case for my hair."

My most recent 'ridiculous' purchase "I bought a pair of small bolt cutters for my hair."
    Love this.

Directly for my hair, the most ridiculous-sounding are probably two types of acid, and cornflour (all really cheap though).

For hairtoy-making, a couple of thousand beads, several beaded necklaces, hundreds of loops of memory wire, wire cutters, jewellery pliers, E6000 glue ...
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

Default Re: What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve spent money on for your hair?

Weaves and Lace Installs. This is mostly personally and just from my perspective. But I used to buy upwards of 2-300$ Per installation. All the time spent sewing the tracks together, bleaching knots, fixing the lace, etc. I now realize that the weaves and wigs were just things to keep me distracted from my real hair, which can be great for protective styling, but I can achieve the same thing with braids and beanies/scarves.

Not to mention now, when I look online my hair is longer than the typical manufactured stuff they sell anyways.

Could’ve just exercised more patience throughout the years instead of spending a bunch of money for hair that’s not even mine.
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.

Length
    ChL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

When i was younger, i bought colorful clip-in fake hair strands.
    The clips used to break off my hair and the strands looked ridiculous.

Length
    ~20"/55"/55"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrina View Post
    Whaaaaaat, lard!? Well, I guess it's not anymore crazy than all the other oils people put in their hair.. Uh, how did it make your hair smell, lol
    It didn't smell good, but it didn't smell bad. Greasy smelling but not actually unpleasant or strong. Once it was in the hair, it was covered in copious amounts of cornstarch (which is also called cornflour, MusicalSpoons, so we've both bought that for hair!) which covered up a good bit of the smell too. When historical ladies made their own, they scented it with spices or essential oils, which I would probably do next time.

I figured it wasn't really all that more crazy than all the other oils. Well, maybe a little. And the end result was definitely crazy. Fun though.

Most ridiculous things I buy is buying everything twice xD I don't want to carry too many things between my boyfriends house and my house so I buy seperate products to use at his place.

In the end it is not more expensive because I'm not suddenly using the products more often, but it felt very expensive when I was buying face wash, face moisturizer, body lotion, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, and sunscreen at once.

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by KameRose View Post
    Then there is hair toy storage. "I need to buy over 100 adhesive hooks for my hair." and "I've bought almost 50 small clear plastic drawers for my hair." Then "I bought a vintage paint brush store display case for my hair."
    I’d love to see these in use, especially the vintage paint brush store display case! Have you posted in the hair toy storage thread?

I just bought a vintage accordion sewing box to store my hairtoys, can’t wait to receive it, line it with satin and fill it up!
    A lurker who loves swaps

Length
    short/?/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrina View Post

What is your definition of obscene amount tho, like can it still fit in a box, hmmmm
    LOL a very LARGE box.

at a certain point it becomes crazy, but whatever, I had a little buying frenzy and now I'm out of it. There are worse things I could do!

I love this thread, so interesting!

Hailwidis That sewing box sounds lovely!

Yes I have posted in the storage thread but still have yet to do any action shots of it.(since I have yet to put it in action ) I still need to give it a good clean. It has sunk pretty low on my priority list right now. Unfortunately I don't have the right... let's say environment in order to do so right now. Unfortunately not much has changed since I last posted on the storage thread. :/

The display case is why I bought the 5 pounds of rice, which I will need to rebuy by the time I actually get it set up since it is in the kitchen cabinet right now, thus it is being consumed.

Which brings me to another weird one "I bought three different kinds of adhesive removers for my hair." Other stuff includes nail polish and remover, a cutlery tray, plastic spider/bat/skull rings, fake eyeballs, jingle bells, strands of lights, fake flowers, and a 100 pack of disposable chopsticks to name a few.

Length
    WL/FTL/FTL?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Probably the most ridiculous thing for me would be a cocktail knife (it's rather dull so not dangerous for the hair) to use as a hair stick. I thought the design was interesting, and it's metal so I don't have to worry about snapping it.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I bought Olaplex N°3 for my mom. I don't know if it's honestly that good or worth it for "only" colored hair (not bleached, just colored). It cost me about 20 euro; most I spent on a hair product in ages. I remember one mask from Bonacure (Schwarzkopf) that cost me over 20 euro at the hairdresser about a few decades ago. This is rivaling that. But I think it will do her hair some major good and so it's all great.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)