Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamila 2019 dye release time & best methods?

Length
    SL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Exclamation Jamila 2019 dye release time & best methods?

I ordered some BAQ Jamila and would be interested about the dye release time. Somewhere it says that for hair usage it's 3-4 hours, but for body art 12 hours. I have also read that you should leave it for 12 hours before you use it on your hair as well. I'm confused

What kind of liquid should be used for the best results? I'm aiming for rich red, not too dark colour. If I use water, what temperature would be the best? Or should I use tea or lemon juice?

I'm also planning to freeze my henna after dye release, then defrost it and use it on my hair. Does this sound like a plan? Share me your best methods!

Henna lover & natural hair care enthusiast

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Jamila 2019 dye release time & best methods?

Dye release isn't static, it depends on heat. Heat = faster dye release. So if you add steaming liquid and keep it warm, you're ready to go in 3-4 hours. If you add room temperature water and let it sit on the counter it's going to take 8-10 hours.

Don't use tea or lemon juice. Tea has tannins, which are drying, and lemon juice is also very drying and doesn't do anything to alter the final color--I only recommend it in the case of fading, which you don't seem to be experiencing. If you want to use a tisane, chamomile is a good one.

Length
    SL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Dye release isn't static, it depends on heat. Heat = faster dye release. So if you add steaming liquid and keep it warm, you're ready to go in 3-4 hours. If you add room temperature water and let it sit on the counter it's going to take 8-10 hours.

Don't use tea or lemon juice. Tea has tannins, which are drying, and lemon juice is also very drying and doesn't do anything to alter the final color--I only recommend it in the case of fading, which you don't seem to be experiencing. If you want to use a tisane, chamomile is a good one.
    Thanks Nightshade! I have read that room temperature water leads to more "permanent" results as it releases dye slower and doesn't "kill" the process. Is this true? I did my first henna about 3 weeks ago and it has faded a little bit, although back then I didn't know how to do it properly so basically I just mixed it and threw it on my head I want to get it right this time and build a more vibrant, more permanent color.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by saaraelisabeth View Post
    Thanks Nightshade! I have read that room temperature water leads to more "permanent" results as it releases dye slower and doesn't "kill" the process. Is this true? I did my first henna about 3 weeks ago and it has faded a little bit, although back then I didn't know how to do it properly so basically I just mixed it and threw it on my head I want to get it right this time and build a more vibrant, more permanent color.
    Nope, not true at all. It's never panned out in my testing and I've never seen any actual evidence for it.

It's just one of those things that gets repeated over and over so everyone else keeps repeating it, or it's one of those things that applies for skin art, but not for hair, but everyone keeps saying it just like you 'need' an acid.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I used jamila for two years. I started by mixing with hot water and let it dye release overnight. I eventually switched to dye release for 4 or 5 hours, worked just as well.

Length
    Chin/Waist/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I use a combination of cassia and Jamila henna. I use chamomile tea that I steep for about 15 minutes. Then I add the tea enough to make a thicker mud paste. I put this muddy mess into ice cube trays and freeze ( I don’t wait for dye release unless I want to use it right away, and then let dye release early in the morning and apply later). Once the henna cubes are frozen I put about 10 in a baggie and save until I need to do roots. When ready I thaw them and apply to roots. I wrap my head in Saran Wrap and then either a shower cap or knit hat. I leave it for about 4 hours, then rinse in a sink. I have a lovely copper color when done.

Length
    SL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

So it's been a week since I hennaed my hair with Jamila. I mixed it with warm chamomile tea and put 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in. Then I let it sit and after dye release put it in the freezer. The next day I defrosted it and let it sit in my hair for 4 hours. I am really happy with the result! This was my second full head henna application and I think from now on I'll be doing roots only.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I had Jamila 2 decades ago. I think it was Jamila. I never ever waited for dye release, no matter what henna I used. I still had to bleach it out several times, high potency bleach and still could only cover with a light brown as it was not all removed from the hair. So I'm willing to bet the henna took quite OK.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I had Jamila 2 decades ago. I think it was Jamila. I never ever waited for dye release, no matter what henna I used. I still had to bleach it out several times, high potency bleach and still could only cover with a light brown as it was not all removed from the hair. So I'm willing to bet the henna took quite OK.
    It might be good when you make that statement to also mention that you used hot water, IIRC? So the dye release was instant, and therefore not *quite* the same as not waiting with room temperature water
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    It might be good when you make that statement to also mention that you used hot water, IIRC? So the dye release was instant, and therefore not *quite* the same as not waiting with room temperature water
    Yes, you're right. I used boiling water. Sometimes boiling tea. But always something that dye released *fast*. I didn't have the time, you know.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)