Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blending the demarcation line

Length
    0"/20"/26"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Blending the demarcation line

Right now, I am creating this thread to simply ask if anyone have successfully managed to blur the henna colored line of demarcation using a deep brown hendigo product.

If you have I would love to hear about your technique/experience.

Eventually I will need to address a pretty visible demarcation line from a burgundy hendigo mix on my head. I plan to experiment with a variety of techniques on shed hair prior to putting it on my head and will document my results along the way in this thread just in case it is of use to anyone else.
    chamomile and jasmine addict
    <a href=https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91101&dateline=1566495217 target=_blank>https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ine=1566495217</a>

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Blending the demarcation line

TBH? I think once you get a "slight" demarcation line... just be happy with it. If you want to blend even the slightest difference, it is a quick recipe for just keeping you dyeing and dyeing your hair. At one point it is best to let it go and to just grow it out.

I think it's best to leave it alone!

I tried to do that and got farther and farther away from my natural color making the grow-out process even more difficult. At one point I just let it grow out because I had had enough but the process could have been so much easier had I not messed with it at all, and I would have been 6 months ahead.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    24/29.5/Long!
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Unfortunately I have no advice to offer about the dye but came to sort of reiterate what Lapushka said about dyeing. The best way I found to mask my extreme demarcation line was to wear my hair up in a bun with some braids up the side etc to take the focus away from the colour. Also as my demarcation line grew further down my head it seemed to soften from a solid line to a softer transition. I suppose due to natural hair shedding and hair loss/growth patterns. It’s hard to push past those first few inches, but the further ahead you get the easier it will be and the more ‘normal’ it will feel.
    APL - BSL - MBL - WL - HL - TBL
    Last dye: Feb 2017 Last trim (micro): 6th June 2019

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHealthy View Post
    Unfortunately I have no advice to offer about the dye but came to sort of reiterate what Lapushka said about dyeing. The best way I found to mask my extreme demarcation line was to wear my hair up in a bun with some braids up the side etc to take the focus away from the colour. Also as my demarcation line grew further down my head it seemed to soften from a solid line to a softer transition. I suppose due to natural hair shedding and hair loss/growth patterns. It’s hard to push past those first few inches, but the further ahead you get the easier it will be and the more ‘normal’ it will feel.
    Totally agree with that. It is going to seem like it is a *big* color difference those first few inches, but once you push past that (and whatever demarcation line you will *always* have that issue) it's going to be smooth sailing from then on.

Length
    0"/20"/26"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Totally agree with that. It is going to seem like it is a *big* color difference those first few inches, but once you push past that (and whatever demarcation line you will *always* have that issue) it's going to be smooth sailing from then on.
    So you don't think it's possible to do some searching and experiemntation to match my own shade to create a root smudge. I have done successful root smudges on others using chemical dyes. My hope is to use the same technique with a dark chocolate henna/indigo product to just soften the line ever so slightly.

I was stupid enough to bleach prior to henna and therefor I think my demarcation is going to be pretty extreme. At the very least I feel like experimenting with shed hair won't hurt anything.
    Last edited by jane_marie; August 15th, 2019 at 08:47 AM.
    <a href=https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91101&dateline=1566495217 target=_blank>https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ine=1566495217</a>

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

You could also try filling it in with your natural color over the henna with a demi- / semi- permanent hair dye. It will fill in under the henna and unify things a lot

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    So you don't think it's possible to do some searching and experiemntation to match my own shade to create a root smudge. I have done successful root smudges on others using chemical dyes. My hope is to use the same technique with a dark chocolate henna/indigo product to just soften the line ever so slightly.

I was stupid enough to bleach prior to henna and therefor I think my demarcation is going to be pretty extreme. At the very least I feel like experimenting with shed hair won't hurt anything.
    I think it is difficult to get to exactly where you'll be happy with it enough to leave it alone and finally grow it out (was the same for me, until after about half a year I got sick of this grow out / dye / grow out / dye cycle and thought well if I'm going to grow it out I better stop dyeing it! Darn it.

What Nightshade says is also a great idea. Use a semi until you've grown out enough that you can leave it alone.

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHealthy View Post
    Couldn't agree more!

If you truly want to transition to natural, just quit cold turkey. Otherwise the vicious cycle of dyeing will go on and on.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones

Length
    0"/20"/26"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I think it is difficult to get to exactly where you'll be happy with it enough to leave it alone and finally grow it out (was the same for me, until after about half a year I got sick of this grow out / dye / grow out / dye cycle and thought well if I'm going to grow it out I better stop dyeing it! Darn it.

What Nightshade says is also a great idea. Use a semi until you've grown out enough that you can leave it alone.
    I would be totally down for using a demi but I guess there is something that I don't understand about the safety of using a demi over hendigo. (Please forgive me because I have a cosmetology background but they never taught anything about henna... clearly...haha).

The thing is, from what I understand it is the developer that reacts with the hendigo generally and in my experience deposit only dyes still use a 10 volume developer.

So... hypothetically does the lower amount of peroxide in 10 volume not react with the hendigo or what?

Again, sorry, I am fully aware of the fact that I can be an obsessive annoyance. :P

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    I would be totally down for using a demi but I guess there is something that I don't understand about the safety of using a demi over hendigo. (Please forgive me because I have a cosmetology background but they never taught anything about henna... clearly...haha).

The thing is, from what I understand it is the developer that reacts with the hendigo generally and in my experience deposit only dyes still use a 10 volume developer.

So... hypothetically does the lower amount of peroxide in 10 volume not react with the hendigo or what?

Again, sorry, I am fully aware of the fact that I can be an obsessive annoyance. :P
    You're not at all! When I'm saying direct-deposit I'm talking about the ones that are literally just pigment, no developer, like Adore, Manic Panic, or Punky Colors (which can come in natural shades, or be blended to make them), not the salon definition of demi