Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My hair shedding "experiment"

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: My hair shedding "experiment"

This is a very interesting experiment and I'm glad it didnt cause you to panic or stress out. Icounted and collected my sheds during my post partum shed and it helped me and actually lessened the stress knowing my shed were staying the same or slowly decreasing back to normal. I know for some it would cause more stress and possibly more shedding to be so vigilant with shedding.
    As far as weighing, I dont know how accurate that would be. For my hair personally I have all different thicknesses and lengths of sheds. A 4 inch fine hair will weigh much less than a 30 inch coarse strand. I'm not sure how that would affect the results.
    While I was being hyper-vigilant with my shedding I noticed that I shed more the week of menstruation, has anyone else noticed increased shedding in correlation to the monthly cycle? I've since stopped paying so close attention but this topic is very interesting to me.

If you tared the scale , you could just put the hair in a bowl and weigh it that way...

Length
    ?/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Brethil View Post
    Oh no, I wasn't thinking of weighing the hair on your head. That's fun for a ballpark figure, but no way to get any kind of accuracy. I was thinking of weighing the sheds. Which would still vary depending on what products you're using, but would be a lot quicker than counting. Weigh 100 strands for a baseline, then you can figure out about how many you're losing each time with a bit of math. The accuracy wouldn't be perfect, but it would give you an idea.

When I've done inventory at work, it's way easier to use a scale than to count.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrayedFire View Post
    If you tared the scale , you could just put the hair in a bowl and weigh it that way...
    Hmmmm I could try this with my sensitive scale. Now my curiosity is piqued. I'm not convinced it's sensitive enough for even 100 strands of hair, but might as well try right!

Though honestly, for me, the counting was the easy part. The hard part was restricting myself to the bathroom to do ANYTHING hair related, the vigilance required to catch all the hairs, and for my scalp, the minimal hairstyles. My scalp is very happy that I'll let my hair back down for periods of time now.

Quote Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
    This is a very interesting experiment and I'm glad it didnt cause you to panic or stress out. Icounted and collected my sheds during my post partum shed and it helped me and actually lessened the stress knowing my shed were staying the same or slowly decreasing back to normal. I know for some it would cause more stress and possibly more shedding to be so vigilant with shedding.
    As far as weighing, I dont know how accurate that would be. For my hair personally I have all different thicknesses and lengths of sheds. A 4 inch fine hair will weigh much less than a 30 inch coarse strand. I'm not sure how that would affect the results.
    While I was being hyper-vigilant with my shedding I noticed that I shed more the week of menstruation, has anyone else noticed increased shedding in correlation to the monthly cycle? I've since stopped paying so close attention but this topic is very interesting to me.
    I've read from others that they experienced something similar. I don't know if I've noticed anything in particular myself, but with the amount of hair I shed I don't know if I could tell a difference (a lot vs. more than a lot, haha). I don't know how people can have an idea of how much they shed based on eyeballing a cluster of hair. To me, 150 strands looks pretty similar to 50 strands - just looks like a lot of hair. That's why I had to count, haha.
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Type
    2a/C/iii

My hypothesis is that the weight of shed hairs remains fairly constant, independent of length or number. This is because weight results from growth rate and total number of hairs on the head, both of which vary much less than terminal length.

I would love to see evidence supporting this hypothesis.
    Ed
    Last edited by EdG; August 14th, 2019 at 10:14 PM. Reason: fix phone typos
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    buzz/Waist/TBL+?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

In my case, weighing the sheds would not translate into number of hairs lost because I have such a high number of hairs that shed out at short (~5) lengths. But I would consider weighing another useful piece of data when kept as a simple weight.

Type
    2a/C/iii

Tinyponies - yes, terminal length varies widely, and so will the number of shed strands. The weight should remain fairly constant because weight depends on growth.

Weighing shed strands requires a laboratory scale. This experiment is beyond the scope of what most LHC'ers can do.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    ?/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    Weighing shed strands requires a laboratory scale. This experiment is beyond the scope of what most LHC'ers can do.
    Ed
    So true. It's an interesting thought nonetheless. If I had access to the equipment I'd totally try it.
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gin View Post
    Hmmmm I could try this with my sensitive scale. Now my curiosity is piqued. I'm not convinced it's sensitive enough for even 100 strands of hair, but might as well try right!

Though honestly, for me, the counting was the easy part. The hard part was restricting myself to the bathroom to do ANYTHING hair related, the vigilance required to catch all the hairs, and for my scalp, the minimal hairstyles. My scalp is very happy that I'll let my hair back down for periods of time now.

I've read from others that they experienced something similar. I don't know if I've noticed anything in particular myself, but with the amount of hair I shed I don't know if I could tell a difference (a lot vs. more than a lot, haha). I don't know how people can have an idea of how much they shed based on eyeballing a cluster of hair. To me, 150 strands looks pretty similar to 50 strands - just looks like a lot of hair. That's why I had to count, haha.
    During my shed I would often just "eyeball" the shed ball. But I had many balls of already counted hairs to compare to and still counted them frequently. I would just use the eyeball method on days when feeling lazy or when time was an issue. It definitely helped to have hair balls that I knew how many hairs they contained for comparison.

Length
    ?/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
    During my shed I would often just "eyeball" the shed ball. But I had many balls of already counted hairs to compare to and still counted them frequently. I would just use the eyeball method on days when feeling lazy or when time was an issue. It definitely helped to have hair balls that I knew how many hairs they contained for comparison.
    One thing I learned from doing this for two weeks was just how BAD I am at eye-balling! I'd guess how many hairs I'd think a pile was, and then I'd count the pile. I was always off, and not consistently either. Sometimes I thought 5 hairs was 15, or 50 hairs was 15. You'd thunk after 2 weeks I'd see or learn a pattern, but nope. My hair piles just all look the same to me, no matter how big or small. So now I know that eyeballing for me is NOT an option.

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/37in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/ii/iii

I’m soooo gonna try this. I don’t feel like my accuracy would be that well, since my shed hair tends to stay stuck amongst my other hair. But quite a bit of it comes out anyways.
    https://media0.giphy.com/media/xcElt...&rid=giphy.gif
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic!