Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scalp Acne

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Default Scalp Acne

The last 3 or so months I've noticed that I'm developing scalp acne, especially on the temples, the top and sides of my head. I've never had scalp acne in my entire life so I'm a bit perplexed as to what's causing it. I was hoping it would go away after I switched off shampoo bars, that maybe there was soap residue on my scalp causing the problem even though I didn't have acne for the first 3 months of using them. Well it's been over 2 weeks since I switched to my regular shampoo and conditioner and nothing had changed. The only thing I can think to blame is the heat.

I'm living with my dad and he doesn't use the air conditioning nearly as much as I'd like. My room gets between 80F to 85F right now because it's the end of summer and the sun hits my room the worst. I feel sweaty by the end of the day and overnight while I wait for the house to cool off naturally. I'm also breaking out around my nose a lot because I get oily there and it doesn't seem hormonal as far as I can tell.

I'm currently washing every other day and by the day I do wash my roots are pretty darn greasy. Maybe my scalp needs daily washings right now? I can't think of what else would be causing this. I don't use conditioner or oil on my scalp since I'm already on the oily side right now. I might be missing something obvious, any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated, thank you for reading
    Last edited by Nox_Inber; August 9th, 2019 at 12:05 AM.

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: Scalp Acne

Would some witch hazel help?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

What were you using before you started to develop these pimples?

And how often were you washing.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    What were you using before you started to develop these pimples?

And how often were you washing.
    I was using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, primarily Summer Sunshine. I used ACV as my acidic rinse and in the last month and a half I've added citric acid. I used the shampoo bars for about 4 months before I started breaking out. I washed every other day.

Interestingly enough I put some water on my hands and rubbed it on my scalp last night to give it a mild cleaning and today the acne seems less irritated and sore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamazoo View Post
    Would some witch hazel help?
    I've never considered witch hazel before, do you have a favorite method of applying it?
    Last edited by Nox_Inber; August 9th, 2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Missed a post

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    I was using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, primarily Summer Sunshine. I used ACV as my acidic rinse and in the last month and a half I've added citric acid. I used the shampoo bars for about 4 months before I started breaking out. I washed every other day.

Interestingly enough I put some water on my hands and rubbed it on my scalp last night to give it a mild cleaning and today the acne seems less irritated and sore.
    And what were you using *before* the shampoo bars? The shampoo bars might have not done a great job at cleansing your skin. At some point you switched to these, right? Did you have the issue before that?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    And what were you using *before* the shampoo bars? The shampoo bars might have not done a great job at cleansing your skin. At some point you switched to these, right? Did you have the issue before that?
    Oh, duh lol. I tried Lush's Jumping Juniper shampoo bar which dried my hair out incredibly bad so that only lasted two weeks. Then before that I believe it was Art Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil S&C. I also used some Paul Mitchell Tea Tree conditioner on and off, it belonged to someone else but I'd use it when mine ran out. This was all during my bad hormone and bad health phase where all my hair broke off and shed out, no product seemed to help, hence the confusing bouncing around to save my hair. Then before either of those products I used the Ion Color Defense shampoo, that's what I'd been using for years. I probably shouldn't have stopped . I didn't have scalp acne before or during that time, these last 2-3 months are the first time I've ever had it. I thought for sure switching off the shampoo bars would help but I'm still getting acne spots. I do agree that they probably weren't cleansing enough for my scalp especially with the hot weather and lack of air conditioning here. I'm pretty much sweating all day!

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    I've never considered witch hazel before, do you have a favorite method of applying it?
    One video I saw of somebody with 4c hair in a protective updo, the lady was pouring a few drops of witch hazel on a cotton cosmetic pad and rubbing her scalp with it, to cleanse her scalp before it was time to take out her 'do.

I however? I take my hair down & squirt the WH directly on my scalp. That works for the top of my head. To get the sides, I pour a small quantity (a teaspoon? I don't measure.) into the palm of my hand & splash it exactly where I want to go. When my entire scalp's wet, I like to bend forward & massage my scalp 'til the WH dries.

It makes my hair soft, fluffy, more voluminous, and it feels clean. I like doing this when I've gotten hot & sweaty. I do this in place of dry shampoo.

I understand WH's supposed to be good for helping hair grow, and it has several other health benefits, too.

The brand I've been using is Thayer's Original Astringent Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera Formula

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thayers-Wit...cAAOSwx6pYremZ

I like it best WITH alcohol. I tried the alcohol-free. For me, it works better WITH; but different people are different.

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Kalamazoo, thank you for the advice and a product reference! It's on Amazon as well - faster gratification mwahaha! I particularly enjoy herbal care as long as my body doesn't rebel against it. Plus I can try it for facial care, all after patch tests of course Lapushka is the master of scalp cleansing knowledge and as soon as the word cleansing came up I was like oooh end of the day scalp cleaning sounds beneficial! This seems like a good thing to try so I can get my skin clean at the end of the day aside from plain ol water while taking down existing acne. My skin has been known to react badly to alcohol so I found the alcohol free version. If this all goes well then maybe it's not a product problem as I've never had acne in the past, just a "help my body is harming itself with its own sweat" scenario I'm probably creating enough sebum to slick down a bowling ball alley right now

I'll be sure to post an update to this as the situation progresses. If end of the day cleansing isn't cutting it then I'll need to explore other options (sulfates?) but hopefully it won't come to that

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Dear Nox_Inber,

I'm so glad to be able to help!

I just tried following my own instructions. In actuality, my scalp did NOT get dried while I was inverting & massaging -- I just got to the point after a few minutes where I felt like I'd done enough, so I did a loose cinnabun on my crown. The length & tips don't have WH on them, so it's just the scalp that's still drying. So it'll dry "up" & have more lift to it when it comes down. Sort of like back-combing without back-combing. I mean, I'm one of those girls whose hair always lies flat, glued to her scalp, so this is a way for me to get more body...

And then I went outside into all the heat & humidity to walk the dog, with my hair still damp with WH. It had a pleasant cooling effect.

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

Do you get any acne flare ups on your face?

If you do, think of your scalp as an extension of your face. However you go about face care, make it match with your scalp care.
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.