Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What can I even do? Help me through this...

Just Wandering Through AspenSong's Avatar
    Length
    13"/Chin/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default What can I even do? Help me through this...

So for anyone who reads my blog or has read the prayer thread for me, you know I went through a major medical emergency back in May. Nearly died and all kinds of good stuff. Made it through and ended up having to cut my calf length hair back to chin length because it was un-saveable because of how it had matted up during my hospital stay.
    The cut was bad enough and the hair that got ripped out or broken during that ordeal thinned out my already fine and thin hair out dramatically. But afterwards I started to shed. And it's just continued. I counted the chunk I got just from shampooing today, 100 hairs just there. That's not to mention what came out during brushing, conditioning, and just general ones that fall anytime my hands get near my head in any way. I've got to be losing close to 200 a day. I can see some new baby hairs, but it just doesn't seem like a lot. And levels of stuff from the Dr all are fine and they just say stress, etc..

My problem is, look at this.....

I'm not being dramatic when I say I look pretty much bald on top. =(
    I am doing anything I personally know to do, but I'm open if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions or help.
    I'm also struggling with some flakies occasionally on my scalp and like, little balls of sebum that seem to pop up constantly.

I know it takes time for results, but I'm taking a hair vitamin and collagen.
    I am eating a ton of protein, between normal food and shakes...and that's just actually side stuff I'm doing for dietary for health, hopefully it helps with the hair too.
    I'm switching between using PureZero Scalp therapy shampoo and conditioner and the L'Anza Stimulating Shampoo, Conditioner and scalp treatment.
    I don't know what else I can do or anything. I'm feeling completely defeated. I won't leave the house without a hat on anymore. I do my best day by day to focus on literally anything else than my hair. I feel like being sick when I see it or look at it, so I pretty much avoid the mirror. But when I see pictures, I just can't believe how horrible it is and I can barely handle it. I feel like I've lost part of myself and if it comes back, it's going to take so long and that's just as disheartening. =(

So any sage words or advice or ideas....
    Lady Nyx, Possessor of The bewhytchd Lens in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and owner of the floaty hair, Féileacán.

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Re: What can I even do? Help me through this...

As much as it might hurt; shaving back and rocking scalp might honestly be the best thing at the moment. It should give you a break from stressing over thinning hair, and it might help your scalp recover without trying to grow hair at the same time. On the plus side, there are very few people who can’t rock a scarf like a millionaire and it might become a favorite accessory.

Whatever you decide, I hope you’re healing well. Please take care.
    Shooting for fingertip curly by xmas 19

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think leaving it at chin length is the best thing to do. Wait until it evens out. IMO shaving is only going to make your feelings worse.

Did you talk about this with a doctor yet, because that much hair loss is not normal.

It basically reminds me of my puberty beginnings, when I had hormonal imbalance and my hair looked about like that. It took a year to get back to what it was before again. But my hormones evened out.

The thing is you need to get to the bottom of this first, which means asking a doctor for advice!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Just Wandering Through AspenSong's Avatar
    Length
    13"/Chin/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i

Yeah, like I said....Dr just says levels they've checked are normal, they think it's stress, etc..etc. I have to go for labs again in a few weeks, I guess I'll ask again then, see how things are going at that point.
    Lady Nyx, Possessor of The bewhytchd Lens in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and owner of the floaty hair, Féileacán.

☮ Enjoy the journey ♡ Groovy Granny's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

My Mom had significant hair loss and got a clip in piece that blended with her hair,...which was white, fine, and see through to begin with.
    So if you can find a wig store near you who also does pieces; it wasn't very costly and a lighter coverage than a whole wig...which could also be an option.
    This happened 15 years ago, she has long since passed, and we're on the East Coast, so I can't provide further info.

I am sorry you are suffering so; you have already been through so much (((Hugs))).

The cut itself looks amazing on you, but I can understand how the thinning is bogging you down.
    For the most part,unless a person is towering over you, it may not be a visible as you think it is.

Thankfully the labs are good, and now that you are better..... hopefully things will settle down internally for you and your normal hair growth will resume.

Sorry I can't be of more help....except to keep you in my thoughts and prayers for your direction, hair growth, and peace
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; August 12th, 2019 at 03:57 PM.
    (RAOK) Random Act of Kindness - Toys for Members with Very Modest Collections[link]
    Sign-up will be open until September 15, 2019

Length
    0"/20"/26"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I agree with Simsy, If it were me I would shave it and get some really rockin head scarfs. I had my head completely shaved for awhile and found it pretty fun. I could wear fun wigs to suit my moods without the commitment of dying and cutting and I learned a lot of different ways to wrap head scarfs. Maybe you could take the head shave time to condition your scalp and find something super relaxing to do to ease your stress/anxiety.
    chamomile and jasmine addict
    <a href=https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91101&dateline=1566495217 target=_blank>https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ine=1566495217</a>

Length
    26.5"/36"/term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Caboki to the rescue! It looks to me like you've got enough fine little vellus hairs going on so that Caboki could stick to it & make your scalp look like you've got a full head of hair. I've used it. It's a natural plant fiber with iron oxide for coloring. It works great.

Also, just last night, I learned the difference between sleeping on a silk pillowcase & polyester! Amazing!
    1, 2, 3, testing! Trying to figure out how to put a picture here...

Type
    1a/F/i

Considering your body went through some massive shocks it's not that surprising something like this happens. It sucks, but it happens.

And as with everything else hair related now you gotta play the waiting game...

I'd suggest finding something to keep your mind off this, whether it's going for walks, reading or whatever. Sticking to a healthy diet and keep on keeping on, difficult as that is.

Good luck!

October 2007 at the Mara Hippo Lodge in Kenya

☮ Enjoy the journey ♡ Groovy Granny's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamazoo View Post
    Caboki to the rescue! It looks to me like you've got enough fine little vellus hairs going on so that Caboki could stick to it & make your scalp look like you've got a full head of hair. I've used it. It's a natural plant fiber with iron oxide for coloring. It works great.
    Oh yes

A few people mentioned using it (or similar) here on LHC and I remembered to mention it when you first got home and posted about the changes...then I forgot
    (RAOK) Random Act of Kindness - Toys for Members with Very Modest Collections[link]
    Sign-up will be open until September 15, 2019

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AspenSong View Post
    Yeah, like I said....Dr just says levels they've checked are normal, they think it's stress, etc..etc. I have to go for labs again in a few weeks, I guess I'll ask again then, see how things are going at that point.
    My doctor said (back in the day) to wait and see. My mom got me hair, skin & nails supplements and a lotion (Bioscalin). It made me feel better but I doubt it really did that much. It took a year in my case to grow back.

At some point the hair loss has to stop.

Have you been to a dermatologist, especially? They may say something totally different.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)