Thread: Henna on medium/dark brown hair and olive skin tone

Type
    3a/F/i/ii

Default Henna on medium/dark brown hair and olive skin tone

Does anyone just do straight henna on their medium to dark brown hair? From what I read I would expect it to remain dark brown, only with more orange/red in sunlight. I'm just starting my henna journey and considering doing straight henna first and then reapplying with henndigo if it clashes too much with my olive skin tone and brown eyes. But would love to hear your experience from anyone who has the same coloring.

Default Re: Henna on medium/dark brown hair and olive skin tone

As long as you keep your henna warm-colored rather than going toward burgundy, I don't think it should clash too much.

I don't have olive skin, though I have brown eyes and generally a warm tone. My hair is maybe about medium brown, and the henna is apparent depending on the light (under fluorescent light, you don't really see it, but in incandescent or natural light you can). I have pictures in my album-- the older ones have my natural color (though I think it's slightly darker now as those pictures are old), and then there are a couple from a couple years ago of what it looks like in sunlight with henna.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I think it should look okay, but like Kat mentioned, you may want to stay away from burgundy.
    I used to do straight henna on my hair when I had brown-black hair, just for the strengthening benefits and imo it's totally worth it.
    In my case, my hair would flare a bit red in the sunlight but have loads and loads of strength and shine, too.

My hair at the time was about a Level 2 or 3 on most hair color charts- so pretty dark. My hair never really went burgundy but there was a definite reddish touch to it.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Fellow olive undertone, brown haired person here! I did a henna gloss “ombré” on my hair. See this post for pics: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=149933

Ultimately, I found that a wee bit of henna in the gloss (15 grams) warmed up my hair, but anything more was way too orange for my skin tone. I’m glad I did the ombré, because my ends are far enough from my face that it doesn’t clash. If my roots were the color of my current ends, it wouldn’t be pretty.
    1b/1c F ii

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Another thing - the color you’ll get with deep brown hair is very similar to Sansa Stark on the GOT tv show. It’s more red than you might think!

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by czech it out View Post
    Fellow olive undertone, brown haired person here! I did a henna gloss “ombré” on my hair. See this post for pics: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=149933

Ultimately, I found that a wee bit of henna in the gloss (15 grams) warmed up my hair, but anything more was way too orange for my skin tone. I’m glad I did the ombré, because my ends are far enough from my face that it doesn’t clash. If my roots were the color of my current ends, it wouldn’t be pretty.
    Wow your results are stunning! So is your hair! Gorgeous!

In general with olive skin tones, the warmer colors are quite complimentary. Generally olive skin tones are rather on the cool side and when paired with cool or ashy tones of hair it can look a little washed out. But with neutral and warm hair colors it can be very flattering on olive skin due to the golden undertones balancing out the green tones in olive skin.

As others have said, I would avoid Burgundy (purplish red like wine) as it is a cool toned red.
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017. Last Chem Dye Aug 2019. Last Henna Feb 2020

Type
    3a/F/i/ii

Ackk just posted a long reply and the forum kicked me out before I could post so I lost it.

Short reply... thank you all! I think my complexion is on the warm side, orangey undertones. I’m really after the conditioning affects so hope I can handle the color!! I don’t have enough posts to see pictures yet but will come back to reread when I do.

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Just don't reapply to the length so much or else its gonna get cool burgundy color.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!