Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scalp Acne

Length
    26.5"/36"/term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Scalp Acne

1, 2, 3, testing! Trying to figure out how to put a picture here...

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    Progress Update: I've rinsed my scalp two nights in a row and the easier to see/clean acne responded well to me rubbing it clean with my textured face towel. My face likes to be scrubbed right now so hey, why not my scalp? The acne was a bit itchy this morning but only sore to the touch on the spots that were rinsed and not scrubbed. I ended up washing my hair and everything this morning (a day early but I deep conditioned the length) and really massaged my scalp and worked the shampoo into it. My scalp feels decent and I'll rinse it again tonight. Very hot weather coming up 100F+ so I've ordered Thayer's Alcohol Free Witch Hazel and Biodegradeable Cotton Pads. I should receive both by Tuesday so I'm very excited to try it out
    That sounds like progress!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/27"/50+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    I can't believe how many responses I've gotten, you're all too nice I've never paid my scalp any mind before this and now I'm learning about a new realm of body care from some many different view points. The whole site is filled with kind hearted hair wizards, my favorite place on the internet!
    LHC is really awesome like that!

That sounds like a very unpleasant experience, I'm sorry to hear that. Are you able to shampoo primarily your scalp and not the length? My face sounds similar to yours. I went to bed the other week without washing and I swear I had 5 new zits overnight. Do you find that it fluctuates based on time of year? I'm never oily in the winter which makes me think that living somewhere so hot with so little air conditioner suddenly is putting me in an unusual circumstance and giving me unusual scalp reactions. Being sweaty for an hour or two is one thing, being sweaty day and night is a whole other beast. I'd love to be engineered into an ocean creature (in this daydream pollution and plastic don't exist) so I can always be clean. I seriously want to live in my shower sometimes!
    Yeah, I shampoo the scalp, and allow the suds to run down the length- I don't really care at its current length (my hair is BSL at the moment), but when my hair was longer and more fragile at the ends, I'd find ways to shampoo just the scalp that involved using a shower cap and tying it off to keep the length dry and free of shampoo. To be honest, though? I think that while shampooing all the hair probably is not the best thing in the world for it, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. I've found that protein + moisture treatments regularly (moisture treatment every single wash, protein 2 times a week), oiling, gentle handling, and keeping it in protective updos was always far more important for my hair's health than whether I got shampoo on it or not. But for some people, that is definitely not the case.

I live in an environment where it is VERY hot and humid- at this time of year especially. The only time here where I can get away with stretching my washes is the dead of winter, when it's hovering around freezing, and the air is drier. My skin stays clearer then, too. I am the same way where, if I miss washing my face even once, my skin will break out overnight. In fact, it happened to me last night and I woke up to several new bumps. Oops. Funny enough, my skin also really likes lots and lots of hydrating toners, masks, and moisturizers, and it seems like it helps my acne heal up faster if I keep it MORE hydrated.

A lot of this has changed from even just a few years ago. As I get older, my skin seems to get oilier and more acne-prone. And that goes for my scalp, too. I used to be a co-washer who could wash every couple of days no problem. Now, not so much.

Length
    26.5"/36"/term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Silk pillowcase...

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Update: Washing with water alone was helpful but not enough so I made a very diluted ACV mixture and that helped dry everything out and prevent new acne I got my witch hazel today and as it turns out, it's wonderful for my skin! I used it directly on my face after cleansing and it gets everything calm and happy without being drying. It's quite gentle and thankfully there were no bad reactions - my mom said she tried it once and it burned like crazy. I think she had one with alcohol in it as my skin hates alcohol too. Once I was sure I wouldn't ignite my whole head into being extra angry I decided to mix witch hazel and ACV, dilute them with water, then put that all over my scalp. I'm very excited to see how my acne responds overnight I am still continuing to do a thorough rinse each night and in the mornings I sometimes do a quick rinse if it was hot the night before. Things are going in the right direction finally I've prevented any new acne from appearing and now I can focus on clearing the remaining flare ups The remaining acne seems to be shrinking slowly, they are no longer big, sore spots and some of the smaller acne might already be disappearing. What a huge difference in under a week!

Quote Originally Posted by maborosi View Post
    LHC is really awesome like that!

Yeah, I shampoo the scalp, and allow the suds to run down the length- I don't really care at its current length (my hair is BSL at the moment), but when my hair was longer and more fragile at the ends, I'd find ways to shampoo just the scalp that involved using a shower cap and tying it off to keep the length dry and free of shampoo. To be honest, though? I think that while shampooing all the hair probably is not the best thing in the world for it, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. I've found that protein + moisture treatments regularly (moisture treatment every single wash, protein 2 times a week), oiling, gentle handling, and keeping it in protective updos was always far more important for my hair's health than whether I got shampoo on it or not. But for some people, that is definitely not the case.

I live in an environment where it is VERY hot and humid- at this time of year especially. The only time here where I can get away with stretching my washes is the dead of winter, when it's hovering around freezing, and the air is drier. My skin stays clearer then, too. I am the same way where, if I miss washing my face even once, my skin will break out overnight. In fact, it happened to me last night and I woke up to several new bumps. Oops. Funny enough, my skin also really likes lots and lots of hydrating toners, masks, and moisturizers, and it seems like it helps my acne heal up faster if I keep it MORE hydrated.

A lot of this has changed from even just a few years ago. As I get older, my skin seems to get oilier and more acne-prone. And that goes for my scalp, too. I used to be a co-washer who could wash every couple of days no problem. Now, not so much.
    That's similar to what I do right now, I let the suds run down the length. CWC helps my ends immensely, I go through lot of conditioner since I wash every other day but hey - it works At BSL I still wouldn't go more than 2-3 days maximum without washing, even in winter. It just doesn't work for me. Plus that was several years ago so I'm not sure I'd be able to attempt that now unless it was very cold outside. What do you use for a daily moisture treatment? I've been looking for ways to keep moisture in besides after shower oiling. Humectants aren't a good option for me because the humidity bounces all over the place here.

Yowza, hot and humid is a rough one. I used to live somewhere like that and I had to shower twice a day in the summer - I'd be sweating just from going to get something from my car! My skin also likes hydration despite sounding counter intuitive, I still put a little bit of oil on my face (yes, in the middle of the summer!) every day and it clears up the acne faster than cleansers alone. Sounds like we have similar skin troubles Have you ever had sugar cause acne outbreaks? Drinking a lot of soda as a teenager gave me bad acne until I switched to natural fruit smoothies for my sugar fix.

I CO washed when I was younger My mom thought I was nuts but she has fine hair and she always complains about it being weighed down whereas I'm more coarse. I'm 24 now and I don't think my hair would last more than 2 washes with CO only lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamazoo View Post
    Silk pillowcase...
    I've heard that those can be quite beneficial! I actually prefer textured bedding, my all time favorite is linen Right now I've got jersey cotton, it's a good in between since good linen is more than I can afford currently.

Length
    26.5"/36"/term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

I'm SO glad things are turning around for you, Nox_Inber! That's wonderful!