Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help getting the blackest of blacks

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Help getting the blackest of blacks

I've been reading about the two step process for getting pitch black hair, but I'm quite confused as there are many variations of the method and lots of people say they turned out having red hair, or not black at all, which scares me a little (a lot lol).

So for those with black tinted hair, how is your process for getting black hair with henna and indigo successfully?

I've read that I should leave henna half and hour, 4 hours, indigo 1 hour, indigo 6 hours, let the indigo develope, applying it when you mix it without delay, using salt, using no salt... I just don't know what to do.

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Help getting the blackest of blacks

I知 a 2-step henndigo user with black hair. My first step is Napur Godrej henna, which is henna mixed with Brahmi, Shikakai, Aloe Vera, Methi, Bhringraj, Amla, Neem, Hibiscus, and Jatamansi. I tried it randomly and really like it for a base color. The amla and jatamansi both contribute to the base layer being a darker and browned red than I got with henna alone.

I usually mix up my henna with lemon juice and water and let it sit for 24 hours before I use it. If I apply during the day, I値l leave it on for 4 hours. The majority of the time I try to apply at night, though. That way I can go to sleep and leave the henna on for 6 hours.

In the morning, I値l wash off, mix up my indigo with a pinch of xanthan gum and warm water, and apply. The xanthan gum doesn稚 contribute to color, simply to having an easier time keeping it on my head and not being runny. I leave the indigo on for between 1 and 2 hours, then wash off.

In general, my hair looks more cool-toned in natural and fluorescent light, although I do pick up warm tones under incandescent light.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Thanks a lot! The part about letting Henna sit for some hours before applying it i did not know May I ask how many grams of each do you use?

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

When I’m doing a roots only touch up (which is the majority of the time), about a hundred of each. It’s more than I used when I did a henna only touch-up, because with henna I’d be very careful not to keep overlapping henna and have the color build up. With henndigo, color build up is preferable, so I make a smidge too much, and then I can really glop it on to make sure I don’t miss a spot, and get good color build up.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I mix my henna in the evening the day before I dye my hair. I add some oils, honey and/or coconut milk to the henna and warm water.

I leave my henna in my hair for 3-4 hours, under a plastic bag/shower cap and have two old t-shirts or a towel over it. (I only henna my roots now, but used to do this to all of my hair)

Rinse with water.

Towel dry and mix my indigo with warm water and a little bit of oil.

Put it in my hair (or rather roots and once a year in all of my hair). Cover like with the henna. Rinse it out after around two hours and CO-wash my hair as usual.

You want to leave your henna in your hair for a few hours and indigo less, because the henna will get "deeper" the longer it's in your hair, while indigo will loose effect after a while.

My hair is black now, but since I started with a lighter color, it took me quite some time to actually get it black, but it was wort it and now it's enough to do a full head touch up once a year with indigo and only dye my roots in between

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Thanks Tatsu!! that was so helpful. How many grams do you use for the whole length? I have 100g of each Henna and Indigo but i am affraid it may not be enough

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TreesOfEternity View Post
    Thanks Tatsu!! that was so helpful. How many grams do you use for the whole length? I have 100g of each Henna and Indigo but i am affraid it may not be enough
    No idea actually. I buy 1 kg of each every time and use it until I'm out.

I put in a little bit of powder and mix with liquid. More powder and more liquid until I have the right amount and consistency. If you try to mix all of the powder at once, you'll get lumps. I prefer the consistency of thick yogurt, but there's no right or wrong. Looser - easier to apply but more dripping. Thicker - harder to apply but less dripping. Henna is really easy to put in your hair if you ask me. Indigo is easier to miss patches with, so I take smaller strands and make the indigo a little bit thinner than my henna. I also find that you need less henna and more indigo when you dye. I noticed the same thing when I dyed my sisters hair and she had mixed up the henna with indigo...

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    No idea actually. I buy 1 kg of each every time and use it until I'm out.

I put in a little bit of powder and mix with liquid. More powder and more liquid until I have the right amount and consistency. If you try to mix all of the powder at once, you'll get lumps. I prefer the consistency of thick yogurt, but there's no right or wrong. Looser - easier to apply but more dripping. Thicker - harder to apply but less dripping. Henna is really easy to put in your hair if you ask me. Indigo is easier to miss patches with, so I take smaller strands and make the indigo a little bit thinner than my henna. I also find that you need less henna and more indigo when you dye. I noticed the same thing when I dyed my sisters hair and she had mixed up the henna with indigo...

That's good to know, I may need to buy some more just in case, at least more indigo. About the consistency, I'll follow your advice and see how it goes, if I'm lucky and can find more product in my town (I bought what I already have on the internet) I may do it tomorrow so I'll keep you all updated

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TreesOfEternity View Post
    That's good to know, I may need to buy some more just in case, at least more indigo. About the consistency, I'll follow your advice and see how it goes, if I'm lucky and can find more product in my town (I bought what I already have on the internet) I may do it tomorrow so I'll keep you all updated
    Good luck!

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Ok guys, I did it! I was freaking out when it came the time to rinse the indigo as my hair was hard as a rock, but it slowly became loose and conditioner made it soft again. I値l take some pictures today to update I see it quite black, haven稚 seen it in the sun though but it looks reeeally dark so I知 pleased with the result!