Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need serious HELP with seamless combs

Length
    ?/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Default Re: Need serious HELP with seamless combs

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    gin the brand of the other seamless comb I have is di prima. I'm getting the impression they're going to be a pain in the butt to get ahold of though, I don't think the manufacturer sells directly to consumers and the one I looked at on Amazon that might have spacing you like is flagged "currently unavailable"
    Thanks for the info, I'll look them up at least!

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Mine are, and I have the volume bone one and the two biggest spaced ones. And the thinner spaced rake (forgot about that one somehow and I use it every washday LOL ). I often compare the Hairsense ones to my Hercules Sägemann combs, because they are very comparable.

Keep at them if they are not totally smooth, because they should be!
    OK, I'll try to see if they'll send more replacements. I feel bad, but I also don't want to use a comb that may snag my hair. Are your Hairsense combs caramel colored or black? The first one they sent me was caramel, and the replacement was black. Not sure if that matters or not...
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    SL/MBL/TBL?
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I'm not lapushka but my Hairsense combs are rust and kind of tan. I've never seen black ones, that's interesting. I took some super fine sandpaper and smoothed any slight edges. There was really only maybe one or two but I sanded all the edges just to be sure. I purchased several at Christmas time a year and a half ago as gifts and didn't have time to exchange anything. Granted one shouldn't have to sand them but it is an option.

Length
    ?/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Update: So I ended up keeping the Hairsense 215 comb. The owner said the minor ridges are normal for these types of combs. I've used the comb a few times after washing my hair and it seems to be performing fine. I guess I'll sand it I get too worried about it.

I also ended up keeping the Hercules Sagemann, because it's great for detangling dry hair and it's size is great for the thickness of my hair too. Now I have too many combs.

In related news, apparently Hairsense has currently stopped making the 215, 255, 204, and 222 combs because the factory that was making them closed.
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Crotchety Pastry GrowlingCupcake's Avatar
    Length
    15/38/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I use Hercules Sagemann as well I have several of them, and find them quite smooth.
    Sales thread!
    I am currently mostly lurking; I am sorry but I cannot deal with people easily right now. I will get back to you when I am more mentally capable.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

gin how are you getting on with your combs?

It seems like we have very similar requirements, though for me a handle is ideal but not imperative and I would ideally like slimmer teeth (but still wide apart). I'm kind of going round in circles and the only handled ones that fit my criteria are Hairsense or maybe Hercules Sägemann, both of which have fairly recent negative experiences on here. I'm ... tempted to give Hairsense one chance, but I don't know if they'd refund me my original postage if I had to return it if it's faulty (having a very vague returns policy is not reassuring). If I tried a Sägemann rake and it turned out to be no good, I could more easily return it because I can find it in the UK, but the teeth themselves look wider than I'm after
    Growing back to calf with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    ?/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    gin how are you getting on with your combs?

It seems like we have very similar requirements, though for me a handle is ideal but not imperative and I would ideally like slimmer teeth (but still wide apart). I'm kind of going round in circles and the only handled ones that fit my criteria are Hairsense or maybe Hercules Sägemann, both of which have fairly recent negative experiences on here. I'm ... tempted to give Hairsense one chance, but I don't know if they'd refund me my original postage if I had to return it if it's faulty (having a very vague returns policy is not reassuring). If I tried a Sägemann rake and it turned out to be no good, I could more easily return it because I can find it in the UK, but the teeth themselves look wider than I'm after
    Honestly, I love all my combs and use all of them, all THREE of them, haha!

I use the super wide-tooth Hairsense for simple/fast detangling after washing hair while my it's still wet, mainly to draw out loose shed hairs that didn't wash or rinse out. This is 2-3x a week.

For all other times, I alternate between the Hercules Sagemann and an EIA that I got from sumidha (the scalloped wide tooth one - thanks for sending it to me, it's awesome!). I use these a couple times a day, usually when I braid my hair or put it up in a bun before going out, and also before braiding my hair for bedtime. I decide which one I use based on what I feel like. The EIA tines aren't as deep and are a little closer together, so it's when I want to "lightly" comb my hair (if that makes any sense?). The HS has much deeper tines and of course the handle, so I use that if I want to get a "deeper more thorough" combing. I find that I use them both pretty evenly.

I also have a wooden brush I got on Amazon that I use on days I wash my lengths after my hair is fully dry. Love that one too.

Before I discovered all these hair tools, I used the same cheap plastic wide tooth comb for decades. I had no idea I'd be someone that would use 4 different combs/brushes.

MusicalSpoons, I would go with the Hercules Sagemann if I were you, mainly for the peace of mind of dealing with it in case you don't like it. Hairsense will not be easy to deal with in case of a return or exchange.
    Last edited by gin; January 14th, 2020 at 10:37 PM.

Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Ahhhh, thank you for such a detailed response! I'm so pleased you like all of them I occasionally use my fine-toothed purpleheart comb, Denman brush and Tangle Teezer for slightly different purposes but my search is for a daily detangling tool that leaves clumps somewhat more intact - I ended up looking at metal dog grooming combs at over point, and on a whim have used a Jeterfork instead of a comb the past couple of days

Did you get the mini or full-size HS rake?

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Ahhhh, thank you for such a detailed response! I'm so pleased you like all of them I occasionally use my fine-toothed purpleheart comb, Denman brush and Tangle Teezer for slightly different purposes but my search is for a daily detangling tool that leaves clumps somewhat more intact - I ended up looking at metal dog grooming combs at over point, and on a whim have used a Jeterfork instead of a comb the past couple of days

Did you get the mini or full-size HS rake?
    Grahtoe used to make thick, "thick" wooden combs. I got a full sized one for $100 or 120 (unsure). About the first one they did back in the day. I'm not sure if they still do them, but it was one of a kind and it's soft as... OMG a baby's bottom. Would recommend if they still do them, or you can request, maybe? If the price hasn't gone up (which I'm about sure of that).

But if you are looking for seamless, that's it!

I'm very sorry to hear your experiences so far have been different, MusicalSpoons!

Maybe go with a wooden, comb, *any* wooden comb that's recommended here would probably be better than any bone or resin comb, but then if you want to detangle wet... I don't know.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Grahtoe used to make thick, "thick" wooden combs. I got a full sized one for $100 or 120 (unsure). About the first one they did back in the day. I'm not sure if they still do them, but it was one of a kind and it's soft as... OMG a baby's bottom. Would recommend if they still do them, or you can request, maybe? If the price hasn't gone up (which I'm about sure of that).

But if you are looking for seamless, that's it!

I'm very sorry to hear your experiences so far have been different, MusicalSpoons!

Maybe go with a wooden, comb, *any* wooden comb that's recommended here would probably be better than any bone or resin comb, but then if you want to detangle wet... I don't know.
    Thank you, I do have a wooden comb but the tooth shape and spacing were what I wanted to change - it is perfectly seamless, I just felt that my hair could be happier after detangling; then actually seeing how the teeth were going through, something just made me wonder if they were making things more difficult than necessary. I dunno, I can't quite explain it. But wider spacing for keeping clumps a bit better, I really would like to try, which is why so many of the usually recommended wide-toothed combs aren't what I'm looking for. I just can't quite go fingers-only or completely no detangling, not yet!

Ack, didn't mean to hijack the thread

(Btw someone on another thread mentioned using a huge Barreis (sp?) many-pronged fork for deyangling, which sounds quite sensible! Though a comb would still be cheaper, no doubt.)

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thank you, I do have a wooden comb but the tooth shape and spacing were what I wanted to change - it is perfectly seamless, I just felt that my hair could be happier after detangling; then actually seeing how the teeth were going through, something just made me wonder if they were making things more difficult than necessary. I dunno, I can't quite explain it. But wider spacing for keeping clumps a bit better, I really would like to try, which is why so many of the usually recommended wide-toothed combs aren't what I'm looking for. I just can't quite go fingers-only or completely no detangling, not yet!

Ack, didn't mean to hijack the thread

(Btw someone on another thread mentioned using a huge Barreis (sp?) many-pronged fork for deyangling, which sounds quite sensible! Though a comb would still be cheaper, no doubt.)
    I have these, they're *very* wide (but it's Hairsense):
    https://www.hairsense.com/product/wi...bone-comb-215/
    https://www.hairsense.com/product/fi...bone-comb-255/

I hardly use them, they're *that* wide! The first one is like my magic rake by Hercules Sägemann.

But I've gone back to using brushes. Just FYI.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)