Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Detangling thick curly hair

Crotchety Pastry GrowlingCupcake's Avatar
    Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Detangling thick curly hair

I do not have thick or curly hair but I have extremely tangle prone hair (on a good day, it takes me about a half hour to an hour to detangle, and I detangle twice a day + use a detangler + wear it up/contained/braided; on bad days, it can take close to two hours, and involve cutting tangles out). I strongly recommend the wet brush as well, and a good detangler. I like NB's Selkie Detangler; it's the only one that's worked for me. Definitely detangle in the shower with conditioner as much as possible; trying to get all the sheds out then helps a lot.

Does his hair have to be detangled every day or would just pre-shampoo be fine? While it might be longer detangling all at once, that could cut down on how often, and maybe you could even CWC so you can detangle with some conditioner?

I'm guessing he's in his early to mid teens if puberty has hit. He should be able to learn to braid his hair at night so that can help with tangles.
    Big chop - 18th August 2021
    SL/15 - CLB/17 - APL/21 - MBL/26 - WL/30 - HL/32 - BCL/36 - TBL/40 - CL/45
    Measuring unstretched because flexibility is dumb.

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I like using a wooden comb & cocoa butter.

Before starting, I rub CB on the comb's tines, on both sides of the comb. Of course, work from the ends up. When I get to a tangle, I hold the tangle against the CB with my finger or the palm of my hand, so that the warmth of my skin melts the CB onto the tangle. Then start combing again, find the knot, & hold the knot with the comb while using the other hand to pull one strand at a time out of the tangle.

Usually, I find a tangle has a split end as its foundation, because the broken hair has wrapped itself around other, healthy hairs, which leads me to conclude that split ends are contagious, in that one hair with a split "infects" its neighbors. So I keep a small pair of scissors handy while detangling, for S&D. I think embroidery scissors are great. Also, they come in collapsible, folding styles, so that one could carry them in a pocket. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...AAAOSwYmZXGDbU

CB is also ideal for travelling, since it's solid at room temperature.

Perhaps detangling more frequently throughout the day would minimize the number of tangles needing work at each session? So this would mean your son would be carrying comb, travel scissors, & cocoa butter in his pants pocket.

I know that the standard advice is to use a wide-toothed comb for detangling, but personally, I prefer a fine-toothed comb.

ETA: I recognize that my hair's less curly than your son's, but it still tangles.

Here's https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cococare-...ick-S/26958318 an ad for cocoa butter in a stick at Walmart. I'm used to paying just $1.50 for a stick of Queen Helene brand, so I'm surprised that this ad's price is so expensive. And I'm definitely talking about 100% pure cocoa butter in a stick, NOT a cream containing CB as one ingredient in a mixture.

ETA: Or one could carry a fingernail clipper that was used only for S&D.
    Last edited by Kalamazoo; July 21st, 2019 at 11:48 AM.

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

It comes down to technique when dealing with curly hair. Just find a conditioner or detangled with slip.
    But a rule of thumb when detangling curly hair, is to detangle in section.

please detangle in sections

It’s easy to want to just detangle his how, how you do with yours, but brushing or combing large sections of curly hair is a gateway to excess breakage.

It’s best to detangle hair when it’s damp. Not wet, but not dry either
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.

Length
    28"/35"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I second everyone telling you that 15 mins is normal. And braiding hair at night is a godsend when you have curls. I would also recommend that you try fingercombing, it's very gentle and works well to get out all the initial knots, so you can then comb more easily to finish up.
    .................................................. ............... .......
    ................................ ......................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

OK, thanks for all the tips! I just bought him a Wet Brush. Never heard of such thing before. It wasn't easy to find a non-girly one for him so I picked a shiny gold one. He tried it once and said it's good.

Thank you for setting my expectations straight! I guess I'll teach him to braid. He's very clumsy, though.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    OK, thanks for all the tips! I just bought him a Wet Brush. Never heard of such thing before. It wasn't easy to find a non-girly one for him so I picked a shiny gold one. He tried it once and said it's good.

Thank you for setting my expectations straight! I guess I'll teach him to braid. He's very clumsy, though.
    I'm glad he likes the brush. I absolutely love mine (and it's "only" a dupe, really).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)