Thread: Self trim advice please

Default Self trim advice please

Hey all, I haven't been around in months! I got a great layered cut back in December. Now it's way longer than I ever wanted, like bcl. It's driving me crazy. The layers have grown out, or whatever it's called when they aren't helping with shape or volume anymore. It's as flat and clumped together as ever. I'm interested in trimming back to waist or maybe a bit shorter, and I want to go back to blunt. I like switching between layers and blunt, and I'm in the mood for thickness.

Since my hair is curly, and hides any bad cutting, I think just pulling it in front on each side and cutting would do the trick. I'll do it wet because I'd rather it be truly even, than cut dry to suit whatever crazy thing it was doing that day.

But what I'm hung up on is the parting. It naturally parts on the left side, but it's different each wash, and not a straight line. I don't think I should part in the middle to cut, because I never wear it that way. Should I part a straight side part on top, then part down the middle for the back of my head? I mean that's the only thing that makes sense right? I just want some thoughts on this before I do it. I don't care about a little bit of choppiness or crookedness, but I don't want an entirely lopsided haircut that needs fixed because I do something stupid about parting it. 😁 Thanks!

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Self trim advice please

When I was in high school or college, I got a haircut and the stylist asked how I part my hair and I told her which side.
    She cut it parted that way and then it looked weird if I didn't part it exactly there, and it was basically impossible to reproduce that parting exactly every day.
    My friend was like, "Always say you part in the middle!"
    So my advice to you is part in the middle. Then it will look okay if your side part isn't exactly the same every day.

Wow that's good to know! I guess that makes sense because it's better to have it a bit shorter on the parted side, which probably blends in nicely, than to have longer strands hanging down when they get on the wrong side. 🤔 Well that simplifies things, if it's just a middle part all the way.

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I never part my hair in the middle except to trim it! That way my hair looks nice no matter which way it's laying.Plus like you said, it's just easier to do!

Maintaining at Hip-BCL for now.
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I think parting in the middle and pulling the two halves in front is a great way to self trim. This is usually how I trim my own hair, I dont even bother with the pony down the back step anymore. My advice is to make sure you either keep your head straight forward or look slightly down to ensure you get a U or V shape hem. If you look up any little bit it will leave the side/front pieces longer and the back short giving a weird inverted U shape. The more you tilt you head downward the deeper the U and more V-like it becomes.

I have a natural side part but usually brush it all back.

When I self trim I part in down the middle and back and pull it to the front, and look straight ahead

I prefer a softer U so I do the back ponytail snip as well at the end, and sometimes snip some from the front edges to deepen the U further.

It has never been an issue if my hair was parted to the side, but rather added texture/light layers.

Sometimes I do Feyes method, others times Spidermom's, and sometimes a blend of both
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; July 20th, 2019 at 04:57 PM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by wo View Post
    But what I'm hung up on is the parting. It naturally parts on the left side, but it's different each wash, and not a straight line. I don't think I should part in the middle to cut, because I never wear it that way. Should I part a straight side part on top, then part down the middle for the back of my head? I mean that's the only thing that makes sense right? I just want some thoughts on this before I do it. I don't care about a little bit of choppiness or crookedness, but I don't want an entirely lopsided haircut that needs fixed because I do something stupid about parting it. �� Thanks!
    When I did Feye's method:
    https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

I parted in the middle, even though I always wear a side part. I also cut on dry, brushed out hair (but my hair isn't curly). I just think wet hair might "bounce" back and dry brushed out would be a little easier. I always cut before a wash; so I can wash and "set" my hair immediately after.

Also look into spidermom's method for cutting a great hemline!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Ok thanks everyone! Middle part it will be.

I hope you like it LOL

Then again...with your gorgeous curls....you can't go wrong