Thread: My scalp is so dry and i need help

Length
    24.5/38.5/40
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default My scalp is so dry and i need help

I often wash my hair once every 5-7 days and i always have dandruff especially in the summer season. I washed my hair 2 or 3 days ago. Today i went out and stayed in the sun for hours. The tempreture in my country is very high it was 47c today.When i went home my scalp felt so itchy it was literally on fire. While i was scratching my head, i found a huge amount of flakes and dead skin. My scalp is now so sore and red .i don’t know what actually happened! I always get dandruff but flaky scalp is something that i experience every once in a while (only when i spend so much time not washing my hair). What can i do now? I thought about a salt scrub but i am afraid it will make my scalp more red.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: My scalp is so dry and i need help

Is it possible that you might have burned your scalp in the sun? Mine gets itchy, red and eventually flaky when that happens. If that's the case, I would definitely not scrub it but just let it heal on its own. A dexpanthenol cream might help.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I agree that your scalp is probably burnt and like any sunburn, the skin comes off.
    A salt scrub would get rid of the dead skin cells but it would also probably sting. You might be best simply using a gentle shampoo or possible sugar scrub to get rid of all that dead skin. If you have a soft bristle brush to use daily would be good or a comb.

To relieve itching and soreness I’d use aloe Vera. Natures Aid makes a great one which adds anti fungal / anti bacteria essential oils that help soothe the scalp as well as clear up any potential infection.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

If it is sunburn you need to try to really get some moisture back into the skin, just like you'd rehydrate skin elsewhere after a burn. Aloe Vera or honey are often recommended (though I don't have personal experience of honey for sunburn) or if you have an aftersun lotion your skin really likes, you could try that. You just need to help it heal and be gentle, it's probably going to be sore for a few days.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

I agree that it's likely a sunburn and some aloe vera should hopefully help cool down your scalp and heal it (you could try leaving it in the fridge to make it colder). I don't think I would put a scrub on it though until the redness has gone away, you would be irritating already fragile damaged skin. Also try to protect your scalp from more sun exposure while it heals by wearing a hat if you need to go outside again. Here's a link on sunburn care https://www.aad.org/public/skin-hair...eating-sunburn, I would think caring for a scalp sunburn would be similar to a body one.
    Growing out bleach damage and maintaining length

Length
    CBL/WL/FTL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I agree with the sunburn, and don't scrub your scalp if that's the case!

Maybe try aloe vera, that's good for cooling down and moisturizing skin, but definitely patch test if you haven't used it on your head before. I can use it fine on my body but my face reacts like crazy to it!

Length
    24.5/38.5/40
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Thank you all for responding i will use honey on my scalp because i don’t have aloe vera gel currently. Then i will wash it with an organic shampoo and see what will happen.

Thank you pinkypoo for the link i really needed it.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I also agree with the sunburn. Put some AV gel on your part, maybe or a cortisone cream if you need something stronger and it is badly burnt. Good luck!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)