Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to love shampoo bars

Length
    20/24/31
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Trying to love shampoo bars

So I have started to use a shampoo bar and I just can't seem to figure out why it hates me...I do have hard water but have a filtering shower head. I also do an ACV rince. The top of my head to my ears feels perfect and from there down is just straight nasty. Feels really sticky and dries so gross and clumped together like. What am I doing wrong? I know there is a stage of change to go through but this is bad...I have used the bar 3 times.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Trying to love shampoo bars

Shampoo bars won't work for everyone because they can be somewhat alkaline, depending on formulation and brand. If it's a soap-shampoo bar, that could be the trouble. If it's something from LUSH, that mildly surprises me as LUSH shampoo bars are actually just solid shampoo, which I think (should) make them more acidic (my theory could be wrong).

Some questions:
    What kind of shampoo bar?
    Are you using conditioner after? If so, what kind?
    How thoroughly are you rinsing? You may not be successfully rinsing the last bit if its gross below your ears.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Have you tried clarifying? Is there a chance any prior build up or silicone is interfering?

Length
    20/24/31
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    Shampoo bars won't work for everyone because they can be somewhat alkaline, depending on formulation and brand. If it's a soap-shampoo bar, that could be the trouble. If it's something from LUSH, that mildly surprises me as LUSH shampoo bars are actually just solid shampoo, which I think (should) make them more acidic (my theory could be wrong).

Some questions:
    What kind of shampoo bar?
    Are you using conditioner after? If so, what kind?
    How thoroughly are you rinsing? You may not be successfully rinsing the last bit if its gross below your ears.
    It's a shampoo bar from a craft fair lol. It does have the ingredients listed. Let me know if that would be of help to also tell you. I have used conditioner once with it and it was the same out come. It was the loreal elvive conditioner in the orange tub. That's what I was thinking so this last time I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. This last time I also clarified prior.

Length
    20/24/31
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    Have you tried clarifying? Is there a chance any prior build up or silicone is interfering?
    This last time I clarified with Neutrogena. The stuff in the small square clear bottle

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I tried using Lush shampoo bars for months and they just didn't work for me. I had the same problem. My conclusion is that they just don't work for me and that's that. Liquid shampoo works great (for my hair) so if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
    Forever in a cycle of growing and cutting

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Shampoo bars were a disaster for me too. I have hard water. I rinsed after, sometimes I didn't, but my scalp hated it. I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis and so I need a good harsh cleanse, and it seems like a regular sulfate shampoo seems to do that for me pretty well, so I agree with Servana loads, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Hi Skunklover, is this the conditioner you're using?

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/l'...304716-product

If so I checked the ingredients and it has amodimethicone. From my understanding silicones and shampoo bars don't always get along very well but admittedly I've never tried it. Also the shampoo bar might be heavier than what your hair likes. It could also be a combination of both.

Was your old wash routine working for you? I love shampoo bars but they're a bit of a commitment and usually a good amount of trial and error before you hit the sweet spot. If you're not looking to make a big change up then you might be happier with your prior method assuming your hair was happy with it. If you are looking for a change then there are still plenty of other variables that can be experimented with to get shampoo bars to work They're not for everyone but I wouldn't count yourself out yet, especially since you've only tried one bar so far.

Length
    Pixie/CB/CB
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Skunklover View Post
    So I have started to use a shampoo bar and I just can't seem to figure out why it hates me...I do have hard water but have a filtering shower head. I also do an ACV rince. The top of my head to my ears feels perfect and from there down is just straight nasty. Feels really sticky and dries so gross and clumped together like. What am I doing wrong? I know there is a stage of change to go through but this is bad...I have used the bar 3 times.
    Shampoo bars have never worked for me either. I have tried many different kinds, starting with J.R. Liggett's, then I bought samples of every shampoo bar Chagrin Valley makes, and lastly I tried Apple Valley Bars (which I liked the best). Oh, yeah I almost forgot, I've also tried three different kinds of Lush bars. None worked for me. I tried them with vinegar rinse, lemon rinse, no rinse, and with conditioner. We have medium-hard water and a whole-house water filter. However, I've been told water filters will not help with hard water, that only a water softener will help that problem. So, I finally gave up on Shampoo Bars. Can't say I didn't give them a whole-hearted attempt though.

I also went through a similar experience when trying to use sulfate-free shampoos. But that's another long story.

Evidently my fine, straight-ish hair just wants to go the cheap route. It has truly been behaving best with the sulfatey Vo5 Strawberries and Cream shampoo followed with the cone-free matching Vo5 conditioner.

ETA: Mods, I hope I didn't break a rule by putting a link for the Apple Valley site. If I did, feel free to remove it and reprimand me. I'm still learning.
    Last edited by sillyme; July 16th, 2019 at 03:39 PM.

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

The only shampoo bars that work for me are the ones I come across in Etsy shops, where most of the crafters make their bars with quality picked ingredients, and the fewer ingredients, the better for me personally.

I stay away from most soaps or shampoo bars that are saponified or are derived from salts or salts from fats. I’d much rather have a shampoo bar that has a gentle foaming agent in it, followed by any oils, extracts, or butters. I used one shampoo bar that had natural foaming oat extracts in it, and I absolutely loved it. It didn’t lather up a lot, but just enough to cleanse my hair really well, and didn’t give my hair that squeaky clean, or coated feeling that typical bar soap does.
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.