Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does eating peppermint grow hair faster?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Does eating peppermint grow hair faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamazoo View Post
    And it makes reindeer fly, too, right?
    Yes that's the bonus!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Yes that's the bonus!
    And we definitely need more flying reindeer around here!

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Well, there is this study, comparing topical application on mice, of saline solution, jojoba oil, Minoxidil & peppermint oil:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...1/#!po=42.3077

The peppermint oil won hands-down, IMO, considering the photos.

But that's topical application.

I was asking about eating peppermint, because I figure that a per centage of what a person eats is going to make its way to the scalp, which is why nutritionists can do hair analysis to determine nutritional deficiencies.

So my hypothesis is that eating peppermint might help grow hair faster, especially if combined with other beneficial circumstances.

But IDK...

Oh God, I hope so! Peppermint anything is the bomb!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hedvig, what a beautiful rose-gold shade you've got going on!

It seems to me that putting peppermint tea on your hair would be risking turning your hair brown, since peppermint tea is brown.

However, peppermint EO (Essential Oil) is clear. I would think you could add a drop of EO to something else (carrier oil for massaging, or shampoo, or conditioner, or rinse water, etc.) without any blonde hazard. In fact, peppermint EO is a popular ingredient among manufacturers of hair care products, so you can easily find shampoos, conditioners, etc. already containing it.

(My opinion is NOT based on scientific experimentation, just "Well, it seems to me..." You need more factual advice than mine before you act.
    Nightshade?)

Peppermint tea might leave a very, very faint yellow-brownish cast to pale and very porous hair, but generally, no, isn't going to stain your hair

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Thanks, Nightshade!

Hedvig, what a beautiful rose-gold shade you've got going on!

It seems to me that putting peppermint tea on your hair would be risking turning your hair brown, since peppermint tea is brown.

However, peppermint EO (Essential Oil) is clear. I would think you could add a drop of EO to something else (carrier oil for massaging, or shampoo, or conditioner, or rinse water, etc.) without any blonde hazard. In fact, peppermint EO is a popular ingredient among manufacturers of hair care products, so you can easily find shampoos, conditioners, etc. already containing it.

(My opinion is NOT based on scientific experimentation, just "Well, it seems to me..." You need more factual advice than mine before you act.
    Nightshade?)
    Thank you, for the compliment and for the info. I promise to research anything to death before putting it on my hair. It would be nice to be able to say that I drink all this herbal tea for a useful reason, though. 😂

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Is there a thread on herbal teas that can be either swallowed or applied topically? I'm thinking rosemary, horsetail, amla, dandelion, and several others should all be on such a list. Basil, oregano, parsley, cilantro, chamomile, etc. ... I think peppermint tea should be on that list, too?

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by AuntyMiki View Post
    Oh God, I hope so! Peppermint anything is the bomb!
    🍭 🍭

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    I don't think so. The idea of putting peppermint (or other warming essential oils) on your head (always properly diluted in carrier oils) is that it increases circulation which may (but probably won't) boost hair growth. Its the same train of thought as the inversion method.

Eating peppermint wouldn't accomplish this, and the main foods that can increase grown (presuming you were deficient in these things enough to be under your max rate of hair growth) are things that contain protein and silica, which are what your body builds hair with.
    I probably should remember that Nightshade said that. But I like eating peppermint and having long hair, so I'm still chasing my fantasy of finding someplace where somebody said that eating peppermint's good for your hair. I mean, after all, we KNOW that reindeer fly, because we KNOW that that's how Santa gets around the world in 24 hours, every December 24; so if peppermint can make reindeer fly, then surely, eating it has to be good for your hair, right?

Ah, the joys of logic. Start with a false premise, and you can prove anything.

OK, I'm looking for older threads on herbal teas, to see if any of them mention peppermint tea.

So far I found one on rooibos tea: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ad.php?t=80036 The results don't sound completely promising. It worked for some people & not others.

There's also https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=127707
    which talks about "Tea Rinses: The Good, The Bad, The Useless"

Hmmm... It looks like not every plant out there works well when steeped in water & applied to the scalp.

OK, I'll keep looking for, & returning with, links to relevant info.