Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sports up do

Length
    43/45/55
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Sports up do

I've been putting my hair into braids. Usually a simple English braid, double Dutch braids, or double French braids. This doesn't really work for me as my hair tends to whip out and hit someone. I think next time I'm going to try making double dutch braids and weaving my ends around like a corset.

Two french braids or a simple ponytail with a few elastics.

Most of the time in a bun with either a ficcare or claw clips, sometimes in a low ponytail braid. I work out at home the majority of the time so I don't really test out cuter styles though I probably should. I think a crown braid would be a great one for some serious cardio and jumping around!

Length
    ?/WL-HL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Hair taping === the best.

I finally bought some skinny satin ribbon and cheap plastic yarn needles to try it. It's been the BEST style so far for comfort, durability, and staying for whip-lash type activities. I do two dutch braids and then cross them in the back and wrap them around my head. Because there isn't a ponytail or bun sticking out from the back of my head, I can use it for yoga and any exercise that requires lying down. Also, no braids rubbing or slapping against my body. Yesterday I did a high intensity jump rope workout and went for a run today, both with this hairstyle. Yesterday I left it up for over 4 hours. My scalp is super sensitive to updos and buns and my scalp hasn't had a single issue with this.

The only issue is the amount of time it takes, apparently I can't tie a bow when it's not directly in front of my face! I'll keep practicing though and hopefully get it to where I can set it up relatively quickly. I'm going on a climbing trip in a few weeks and would love to be able to put my hair up like this every morning!
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    WL/TBL/class
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gin View Post

I finally bought some skinny satin ribbon and cheap plastic yarn needles to try it. It's been the BEST style so far for comfort, durability, and staying for whip-lash type activities. I do two dutch braids and then cross them in the back and wrap them around my head. Because there isn't a ponytail or bun sticking out from the back of my head, I can use it for yoga and any exercise that requires lying down. Also, no braids rubbing or slapping against my body. Yesterday I did a high intensity jump rope workout and went for a run today, both with this hairstyle. Yesterday I left it up for over 4 hours. My scalp is super sensitive to updos and buns and my scalp hasn't had a single issue with this.

The only issue is the amount of time it takes, apparently I can't tie a bow when it's not directly in front of my face! I'll keep practicing though and hopefully get it to where I can set it up relatively quickly. I'm going on a climbing trip in a few weeks and would love to be able to put my hair up like this every morning!
    I wish I could get something like that to work for me. The other week I did two dutch braids and wore them loose (although not for exercising, just because) but at one point I tried to see if they could be wrapped and pinned up somehow because they were still getting in the way a bit and flapping around. I also dislike braids slapping against my body. Turns out my hair is just not at a length where the ends of two dutch braids will end up in a good position to tuck out of the way and pin.

I know a crown braid works for me and I'm decently good at braiding that style, but again, these braided styles take more time than a plain old bun and I'm lazy. I might see if I can try to hair tape the tail of a crown braid to secure it instead of pinning or clipping or even securing it with a stick like I've done in the past. I'm curious if/how trying hair taping for that might work.
    waist / hip / tailbone+ (40 in.) / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    classic by 2020 / knee by 2021?

Length
    ?/WL-HL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea View Post
    I wish I could get something like that to work for me. The other week I did two dutch braids and wore them loose (although not for exercising, just because) but at one point I tried to see if they could be wrapped and pinned up somehow because they were still getting in the way a bit and flapping around. I also dislike braids slapping against my body. Turns out my hair is just not at a length where the ends of two dutch braids will end up in a good position to tuck out of the way and pin.

I know a crown braid works for me and I'm decently good at braiding that style, but again, these braided styles take more time than a plain old bun and I'm lazy. I might see if I can try to hair tape the tail of a crown braid to secure it instead of pinning or clipping or even securing it with a stick like I've done in the past. I'm curious if/how trying hair taping for that might work.
    My hair is shorter than yours and they barely cross at the top of my head. There might be an inch of overlap at best. I don't bother tucking them because there's nothing to tuck them into. Hair taping still works very well though, at least for me. I make sure to sew through the braid every so often and that way there's no way for the braid to slip at all even if the ends aren't tucked anywhere.

While I've done this same style with spin pins (heavy duty U-pins never worked since my hair is too heavy/slippery), the pins don't work as well and I also don't like using pins that much either. Plus with my ends not crossing and not being able to be tucked I'd have to use bobby pins to pin them down and that's definitely not happening.

I've tried so many things and hair taping has been by far the best thing I've ever tried. My braids are relatively thick and heavy at the base and are terribly slippery, so they will still loosen or escape with pins, while with taping they stay. And it's SO comfortable for my scalp. I can't emphasize this point enough. While I also love the convenience and quickness of buns, my scalp can't do buns for long periods of time and the buns just aren't as secure with the heavy amount of activity and movement I do.

That being said, if I know I'm going to be doing an something that isn't as whippy or movement heavy (like lifting or more static/isometric stuff) and I don't need it up for too long, then I'll still opt for the bun. Or If I'm just too lazy and don't feel like braiding.
    Last edited by gin; October 27th, 2019 at 12:47 PM.
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    bsl/CL/ftl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have to bun my hair. So I use a hair tie first as an anchor then a spock bun with two hair sticks. I make sure to thread the sticks into the hair tie for extra support. Can run miles and that puppy won't even move.

Length
    2/APL/HL

I'm sure it will change as gets longer, but right now I just do a ponytail with a couple hair ties and usually add a headband to help keep everything in place for longer.

Length
    43/45/55
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gin View Post

So that's what it's called.

I knew it had a name other than braid/corset thingy...

I hope I can get mine to be that secure...

Length
    ?/WL-HL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBooop View Post
    So that's what it's called.

I knew it had a name other than braid/corset thingy...

I hope I can get mine to be that secure...
    I do mine very similarly to how torrinpaige demonstrates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwnlfDYzk8

I do weave through the braids rather than just wrapping them, since my hair isn't as long and needs the extra security for the braids to stay up. I also do it so that I an tie the ribbon at the top of my head rather than behind, since I can't for the life of me figure out how to tie a bow behind my head.