Page 1 of 114 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Hairstyles for working out, exercising and sports

Length
    19/28/40?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Hairstyles for working out, exercising and sports

Since it's quite a popular question, here's a compilation of threads about how to style hair for exercise. Hopefully we can all benefit from each other's advice!

~Anje

How do you wear your hair for outdoor exercise? I am now running every other day in the wind and sun. I bought some good sunscreen for my face, neck and arms but am also thinking my ponytail flying in the breeze is not such a great idea. I am thinking about a buff for running. Do buffs stay in place?
    What other ways do those that hike, bike and run out in the elements keep their hair off their face and protected?
    Thank you in advance...
    Last edited by Anje; March 25th, 2014 at 02:59 PM.

Lady Dawn Nova Painter of Souls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    bald/21/35
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Hey Morningstar - I am also an outdoor person
    I wear my hair in a tucked french/english braid while biking (sometimes cover with a scarf/bandana)
    During yoda i like to tie a loose braid - enligh or french
    For running i usually tie it in a high braid (something like high ponytail english braid) and rarely ina high ponytail
    I also sometimes use cloth headbands to keep ahir off my face during biking or playing tennis
    Hope this helps

Length
    19/28/40?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Thanks Karenpetal those are great ideas. Have you ever used a buff?

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Ficcare most of the time. I never wear head wraps because I don't like the way they look, but I think they would protect my hair much better. High ponytails are cute until I start sweating. Then they cling to the back of my neck and look gross. TMI I know
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I don't think it is so much how you wear your hair but what you hold it with. A ficcare always keeps my hair up off my neck. I also like to have my hair damp while I'm outside, it helps to keep it from getting to dry.

I don't like baseball hats for two reasons. One, my head gets to warm. Two, my hair started breaking off from the friction. I have never used a buff but am thinking about trying one.

Length
    1/2"/45"/floor
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I put my hair in a high cinnabun with hair sticks or a braided chinese bun. I don't like braids dangling down as it flops in the way.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I wear mine down or in a half pulled through scrunchie pony. If I am hiking or kayaking--two braids.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've worn a Buff. Mine tends to slip back a bit, but it depends where I put it to start. I don't think it'd be my choice for running, but I may have to dig it out for biking to reduce hair snagging on my helmet. Bobby pins on the sides are reported to fix any backward drift you may get with a Buff. There are also the medium-sized ones, which might stay better if you just wear the tube pulled over your head.

High english braids are very sporty and kinda fun because they swing as you move. Could get annoying, though, and could cause pony breakage if you're prone to it. For working out, I usually just wadded my hair into some random bun-like shape and clipped it with a Ficcare. That stayed without pulling better that anything else. (Gotta get back in the gym so that's not past tense!) Low braids are great if you don't need hair off your neck.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    19/28/40?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Thanks everyone that responded.
    I am going to get a buff and if it works for running great, if not, well I can use it still since I love being outdoors camping etc..

I need a Ficcare! sob!!! I tried one of Thetokenladys' at our Michigan meet and it was nice.
    I am afraid of using a wood hair stick to run in case it falls out and gets chipped. Hair sticks don't seem to want to stay in my hair when I am standing still let alone running. My hair is too short and too slippery for them at present...sigh.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I would french braid it and cover it with a buff. I think buffs are fab. And as Anje said, you can always put pins on either side to keep it from shifting. A bandana would be my second choice.