Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sports up do

Type
    3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Sports up do

I usually use one of those curly ponytail holder things. It gives good hold but doesn't feel tight and damaging. If it's not high impact, I will keep it in a claw.

Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

I don't like my hair flinging around all over the place when exercising/playing sports, so it has to be in a bun or some kind of french or dutch braid that's fully attached to my scalp. A nautilus bun is my quick go-to everyday hairstyle and usually is sufficient for biking, but if I were doing something more vigorous and thought a bun would fall out due to motion, then I'd probably do a crown braid.

Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gin View Post
    Ok, totally following this thread to see if I can find some more ideas but I need them! I'm very active and workout almost every day and also climb 3-4x a week. I've found that at my current length, a secure low bun for running works as long as it's jogging and not sprinting. But for other higher-impact and bouncy activities (high knees, sprinting, changing direction fast, any jumpy stuff), I haven't found anything that consistently works. I mean, I need something that can withstand some severe whiplash-type activity I think! Those simple head-twisting tests that people do in YT tutorial videos don't cut it.

Braids have been suggested a lot, but the trouble is my hair is thick and coarse and very slippery, which makes putting them in braids very time consuming and difficult (I'm also not very great at braiding my own hair). And if I manage to get my hair into a braid, it'll end up falling out anyway. Also, when braids are hanging down my body, they rub along my body (which I can't stand, too itchy), AND can whip around and slap me in the face/body depending on the activity. Pinning up braids hasn't worked for me due to the sheer weight and thickness of my braided hair, no pins or clips have been able to hold them up. Granted, I probably need more practice with pinning technique. Or I need 1000 pins.

Right now if I really need to, I'll settle with the ponytail and braided length. Sure, the ends still whip me in the face and rub on my body, but at least it's out of my face. It'll still come loose, but not to the point where I have to stop and re-do it. I really do hate this style though!
    Maybe try practicing braids so you can be able do them more quickly/easily? Also, for me, an exercising hairstyle doesn't have to look super-polished, which means if it's sort of uneven and weird and lumpy looking, I'm not really bothered. If you braided while your hair is damp, I think that might help with the slipperiness. And/or maybe try using a sea salt texturizing spray? Would it be at all possible to get someone else to braid your hair? (personally, I would love to have someone I could practice various braided styles on before attempting them with my own hair)

Someone else's suggestion of Heidi braids seems like it's worth a shot -- perhaps instead of two braids, do four braids to mitigate the thickness while braiding? Hopefully at least one of my suggestions might be useful for you.

Maybe a braided bun?