Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sulfate & Silicone Free Recommendations?

Length
    neck/apl/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Sulfate & Silicone Free Recommendations?

I’ve tried doing searches, but it doesn’t seem to work...just shows me the regular posts. I think, I would like to try going sulfate and silicone free. Does anyone have any favorites that are free of both? I’m loving Shea Moisture and Shea Oil (seems to help), BUT my hair is more dry and it’s either those or the two hennas I’ve done recently. So, I’m thinking about trying this or going back to casual care. Thanks!
    25”...on my way to BSL with a goal of waist.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Sulfate & Silicone Free Recommendations?

I use SM products, too! One thing I had to get used to was that they foam, rather than lather--it took me a while to figure out how much shampoo to use (I get better results if I apply some to the back and top of my hair, rather than the old "pour in hand and smoosh it around" approach). I also find that I don't use as much shampoo if I add some water to the area I'm washing (apply shampoo and add some water [about a handful or so] to the area I'm focused on) to better work up a foam, rather than adding more product.

My hair is dry, so I rotate between the Moisture Retention, Intensive Moisture and Strengthen and Grow lines. I also WCC and use Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration conditioner (which does contain cones) as my second conditioner. Have you checked out the LOC/LCO method after shampooing? I use the SM Strengthen and Grow (JBCO) leave-in conditioner and coconut oil after I shampoo and condition my hair--really helps me lock in the moisture!
    Last edited by Jo Ann; July 11th, 2019 at 03:49 AM.
    Not Cut, But After Washing, Before Brushing and Bunning...Baby steps!

Length
    bsl/CL/ftl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have been using l'oreal everpure moisture shampoo and TRESemmé Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    ​You Zarkin Frood

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Do your Shea Moisture products contain protein? If so, that plus the henna might be causing protein overload (henna isn't protein, but the lawsone binding to the keratin in the hair shaft makes it act kind of like a protein treatment). There may be SM lines without protein, I don't know. I'm afraid I have no actual product suggestions for the US - oh, actually, a few of the Garnier Whole Blends conditioners might be silicone-free (certain ones are over here but I can't remember which ones, and the formulation may be different over there anyway).
    Growing back to calf with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    PX/HL/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I tried the Shea Butter range from Body Shop recently, it wasn't bad!
    instagram

Length
    neck/apl/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

The SM shampoo and conditioner (red palm & cocoa butter) makes my hair lay better...instead of the usual bunching and frizzing of my sides (worst condition hair). I love it for that part, but it seems that the back (best condition hair) is becoming dry...just not silky anymore. I’ve used shea oil as well a few or so times. It’s either those products and/or the henna. The suggestions help, thank you!
    25”...on my way to BSL with a goal of waist.

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii

Briogeo !

I do love Shea Moisture products specifically the Manuka Honey line. I also love their JBCO leave in but cannot use it daily because it will leave my hair greasy and weighed down, so I switch to their Silicone Free Miracle Styler when my hair needs some moisture between washes. I also have fallen in love with the Not your Mother's line. The ones I have used are protien free and lighter than the Shea Moisture line. I tend to rotate between the two depending on how my hair is feeling.

Length
    ChinL/WL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I've tried the Loreal Evercreme line, and it doesn't have any sulfates or silicones in it. It works wonders for my hair!

Length
    N/BSL/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I use Nature Box products. They are sulfate and silicone free, smell nice, work well for my hair, don't require me to order them online and they are not overly pricey.