Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm having a crisis

Default I'm having a crisis

I've grown my hair out for 2 and a half years now. I used to bleach it blonde and it was super damaged and always brassy due to the reddish tones in my hair, (it's medium brown). I decided I was going to leave it to grow out naturally, although I didn't like my natural colour and I would have to wait a couple of years to grow out all the bleach, at least I would then have healthy looking hair. I haven't used heat or dye in those two years and I always dried it carefully with a cotton t shirt. I also improved my diet.

I am so miserable. My hair is breaking at the top. It's so thin that my ears stick out and my pony tail circumference is a less than a couple of cm's. The worst thing is when I'm out at a shop or resturaunt and they have overhead lighting and I can see all the breakage sticking up being highlighted. I got home today and I can't stop crying. I look so rough, like I don't take care of my hair. I can't cope anymore. I'm ugly anyway and with my hair it's like what's the point? I have no self confidence, I feel embarrassed when I go out now. I'd done so well growing it out without dyes or heat and it was for nothing. Ijust want to rip it all out and wear a wig.

Length
    2/5/25
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: I'm having a crisis

I feel for you, I really do. I understand what it's like to feel 'ugly' yet I know it is just a feeling that will pass. It doesn't help at the time I know. The last time I felt ugly, I got my hair cut all off and I regretted it so badly. When I am having these feelings, I get out my 'self care' box. I made a box up (it's like a first aid for my happiness) where I have put in things like a pretty photo of myself, my favourite band cd, a box of chocolates, my favourite things...etc. I add things to it all the time. Last time I felt like this was a few weeks ago and I just got chocolates and a magazine to add to the box. I don't know if something like this would help you...

Length
    2/5/25
    Type
    2a/M/ii

also with your hair, maybe some type of mask?

Length
    HL/HL/TB-CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

This sounds like a more serious health problem if I understood correctly that your hair has thinned out noticeably and breaking at the root. I'd start with a visit to a GP and have a blood panel done and whatever other tests the doctor might recommend.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Yes, a visit to the doctor is indicated. Some health conditions can also trigger or worsen depression. When our bodies are overwhelmed coping with the disease, there isn't always enough energy left for normal emotions.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    This sounds like a more serious health problem if I understood correctly that your hair has thinned out noticeably and breaking at the root. I'd start with a visit to a GP and have a blood panel done and whatever other tests the doctor might recommend.
    Seconding this good & sound advice! Having bloodwork done = no luxury!
    It's basic care and you and your hair deserve it!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    30/33/long
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Liz H View Post
    Yes, a visit to the doctor is indicated. Some health conditions can also trigger or worsen depression. When our bodies are overwhelmed coping with the disease, there isn't always enough energy left for normal emotions.
    Additionally, if there is an underlying health problem, then your body might be using whatever nutrient stores it has to fix the problem, and your hair is suffering from it. Clearing up any health problems almost always leads to healthier hair as well as skin, nails, bones, muscles...just a healthier you!

What really is beauty anyway, but a point of view?

For example, people tend to strive for piano teeth. But I am more partial to snaggleteeth. I doubt very much I am the only one too

Length
    28MBL/39TB+/Term
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Not gonna lie, this sounds like it's about way more than just your hair. Don't get me wrong, hair can be a big source of stress when things aren't going right. But you seem a bit more distraught than if it were only your hair that's bothering you. I'm echoing everyone else in saying that you should see your GP for diagnostics, and I think you might also benefit from seeing a therapist too to tackle some of those overwhelming feelings of being ugly (I'm pretty sure you're not ugly), and you just need someone to help you practice better ways of thinking to regain your confidence. Like every time you get overwhelmed thinking things are so terrible you are embarrassed to leave home, your therapist can give you better coping mechanisms.
    Also, after reading medical journals and gaining my own personal experience, my new fave advise is to find a house plant you love. Studies are showing that nurturing a living thing and helping it flourish brings very good inner feelings. Get a $5 pothos plant or something simple and easy for a beginner.
    HTH! Please take good care of you. This world only has one of you.
    Lady Arimed, Battle-Healer of the Well of Sláine in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    1"/25"/32"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

I really feel for you and I hope that you take the advice to see a doctor. I just wanted to let you know that I'm rooting for you and hoping that things look up soon.