Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Organix/OGX hair care products?

Length
    10 in/10 in/25 in
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Default Organix/OGX hair care products?

hey guys!!!! i'm really new to this forum-- I had long hair for quite a while after staying away from salons as much as possible and then had a Big Chop about three years back, in which I was experimenting with styles for a while; now I'm trying to get back to classic long hair. I have decided to let it grow out with as little trims as physically possible, the way I did when I was in middle school (I have now recently graduated college)

The problem with my long hair was that I had a hard time actually taking care of it properly for most of my time having it. Right now, I'm trying to make as fresh of a start as I can. I haven't used heat on my hair, products (gel, leave-in conditioners) in quite some time, and make a habit of never dying it and trying to damage it as little as possible. But I have a hard time finding a conditioner to use on my minimal length right now? It is chin-length, 2c F?/M brown hair. I usually go 2-3 days in between shampooing and using water on it, sometimes more. For a while I wasn't using any conditioner, just a 2-in-1 Head and Shoulders shampoo on my scalp. Then, I dug through my cabinet and found an OGX 'renewing argan oil of morocco' conditioner--I feel like using it on my length after I shampoo makes my hair look very nice, but I also feel that it causes some hair fall. I'm not sure if this is normal or not? I have an OGX argan oil of morocco intense moisturizing treatment that I used as a deep conditioner once upon a time, but I felt like that caused an even more significant amount of hair fall than I normally notice in the shower nowadays?

I know that keeping my ends well-maintained, especially if I'm planning on avoiding trims as much as possible, is really important to my journey in achieving length again! i just want to make sure I find the right products for my hair, or the right methods for caring for my hair... if anyone has any wisdom or advice, please let me know ;w; it is so very appreciated !!

Length
    BSL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Organix/OGX hair care products?

Welcome to the forum!

I understand not wanting to use heat on your hair (for very good reason since it can be incredibly damaging), but may I ask why you're avoiding leave in conditioners? As in, is it just a preference due to weighing your hair down too much etc? Many people here find leave ins to be very useful for providing more moisture and care for the ends.

Conditioner is good for just about any length of hair. As for increased hair shedding, do you put conditioner just on the length of your hair, or also on your scalp? Some people (myself included) experience increased shedding when conditioners/oils are placed on the scalp.

As for advice, I would recommend trying a variety of different techniques/products to find what works best for your hair and scalp and the sticking with what works best for you. Try to baby your ends as much as you're able (perhaps look into a peacock twist and/or updos as your hair grows). Your curly hair may appreciate a lot of moisture that many people experience with the Rinse Out Oil method (ROO), Liquid Oil Cream method (LOC), pre-shampoo oiling such as with coconut oil, or Conditioner Only washing, but all of those depend on the individual.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with information! Everyone on this forum is very kind and helpful and if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

I used to use OGX argan oil and did experience more hair fall if I used it on my scalp. I get the same thing with my pre wash oil treatments if I put them on my scalp. I've since stopped using OGX as I'm a curly and I only use silicon free conditioners! try focusing it on your ends (no matter your length).

And as mwallingford said! experiment. It seems you're a curly girl as well! Check out the curly girl method! Consider switching to a sulfate and silicon free routine! Try CWC! Document your results!

Length
    N/A/67/84/Termi
    Type
    3b/F/iii

Hi!

Most people cannot put conditioner on their scalp as it encourages more shedding than normal. The general rule is shampoo on scalp conditioner on length.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Kat-Rinnč Naido; July 7th, 2019 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Add

Length
    10 in/10 in/25 in
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Thank you all so much for your helpful replies!!!!!! It means a lot to me, and it is really informative!! And i feel very welcomed, so thank you all so much~!
    @mwallingford I actually was afraid of my hair being weighed down by leave-in conditioners, just as you guessed~! But, as everyone with similar hair-types are suggesting, moisture is surely better for my hair than anything else~!
    I will make sure to focus my conditioner on my length and not my scalp~! @leafygreens18 the CWC method seems like a very gentle and effective way to wash my hair, and I will try it on my next wash day and let you all know how it goes~!!!
    Thank you all again!!

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

OGX made my hair fall out. I used it while on vacation and lost a considerable amount of hair. Even when I used only the shampoo.

Switched to Shea Moisture and haven't had a major shed in 3 years. And yes I use the conditioner on my scalp.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lithostoic View Post
    OGX made my hair fall out. I used it while on vacation and lost a considerable amount of hair. Even when I used only the shampoo.

Switched to Shea Moisture and haven't had a major shed in 3 years. And yes I use the conditioner on my scalp.
    I can confirm! Shea Moisture definitely reduced my shedding! I haven't tried much, just the two products I currently use. I can at least say that I don't get much shedding with the 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Conditioner, but it may be kind of heavy on fine hair (it can be on mine). The Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo feels just like regular shampoo even though it's sulfate free (except its a bit thinner) but it lathers up just the same! I don't have too much shedding with that either.

Experiences with products will always vary from person to person. However, their line hasn't been very good to my hair at all, from what I've personally experienced. Their Coconut Milk Shampoo, Coconut Milk Conditioner, Coconut Hair Serum, Vitamin B Shampoo, Vitamin B Conditioner, and there's a hair creme from them for curly hair that I had tried in the past (that comes in a brown jar) that just was all straight up awful for my hair. They have come out with new products since then, as they're always more new stuff on the regular, but I haven't had the urge to try any of their newer products, because I have come to find products in regards to cleansers, conditioners, and styler, that work better for my hair than any of what I had tried from OGX. My hair went through lots of moisture loss, major shedding, and much more and it just never was going to get any better, until I had decided to move on.

However, I should have paid more attention to the ingredients in the products, versus just being super eager to try them at the time, because they were OGX products. My hair doesn't do well at all with sulfates and using products with silicones in them on a regular basis is just to much for my hair and scalp. Plus, there's quite a number of their regular rinse-out conditioners that contain Alcohol in them. My hair and scalp doesn't react well to any regular rinse out conditioner with Alcohol in it. I have found that out the hard way unfortunately.

I know that the brand is a very popular drugstore brand because of the products being super affordable, and before they were OGX, they were Organix, and were touting their products as being organic and 100% natural, with no harsh chemicals in gem, but they were forced to change the brand name, because of a mass lawsuit that came out against many companies making false claims towards making false organic claims towards their products. Which is actually the main reason why Aubrey Organics, had to switch to the bane Aubrey, because none of their products were certified organic, even bough they were making false claims that their products were organic, when they only contained some natural and/or organic ingredients, but was never certified 100% organic products to begin with.
    Last edited by Reservechic; July 7th, 2019 at 12:02 PM.
    "To God Be All The Glory"

Quote Originally Posted by lithostoic View Post

You're definitely not the only one. My experience was very similar to yours. And, I have always used conditioner on my scalp (as that's a part of my normal hair wash day routine) and never had such massive shedding like what I experience from the OGX shampoos and conditioners that I tried.
    Last edited by Reservechic; July 7th, 2019 at 12:00 PM.
    "To God Be All The Glory"

Length
    10 in/10 in/25 in
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

I'm relieved to see that the hair fall was not just in my head and has happened to others!! Although I'm sorry you guys have experienced it as well ;w; Have you guys had any experience with that Love, Beauty and Planet line of shampoos/conditioners? It claims to be sulfate + silicone free, and looks like it could be a cheap alternative as a conditioner for my wash days~?