Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which type of measuring do you do?

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Which type of measuring do you do?

I do the first, but *any* method with a consistent and accurate starting point is of course valid. The SSS method (George Michael method?) is what I learned here so I just went with it [I usually take off 6" if I'm trying to calculate longest actual length for whatever reason because that takes me to my crown as the starting point.]

I rarely actually measure, only when curiosity gets me, but this is how I do it:

... I do try to self measure sometimes and do what JJJ does which is to hold the tape on your forehead with one hand and sliding the other hand down your length and bring it forward without moving but it is hard because if the tape gets twisted you don't see... i do it in front of a mirror or camera which helps. You can even just let the tape be and film your back. If the numbers are big enough or zooming in, you will generally be able to tell... But nothing like asking my husband to do it.
    That's what I do. I'm bad enough at taking photos of my hair down that to add needing to get numbers in focus is just beyond me so far. Once the tape measure is firmly in place I let go of the forehead then use one hand after the other to pull the length straight down against the tape measure so there's no movement (or twisting) of it. I sometimes do it twice, bringing my hair around each side to make sure the readings are the same and therefore accurate. I've never tried to explain it before so I hope that makes sense. It also has the advantage over taking a picture of measuring stretched, because my hemline is still uneven and it never hangs the same anyway so I'd get inaccurate results.
    (Quoted from this post)
    Gotta say, I am looking forward to one day outgrowing my tape measure even if it is just by a few terminal stragglers. Apparently quilters' tape measures are 120" long, and we also have a surveyers' tape that's 5m long - never going to need *that*one for sure!!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    N/A/67/84/Termi
    Type
    3b/F/iii

I use the first method.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

The first method

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights