Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Henna colour question

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Henna colour question

Hello my dears!

I've finally succumbed to henna and I want a little advice on getting the colour right. I can't upload a picture but you should be able to see my natural hair colour from my profile pic/avatar. It's a fairly light to medium brown.

I would love my colour to turn out like this :

So, Ceremonials era Florence Welch. I've done strand tests with henna, 50/50 henna cassia and 35/65 henna cassia and the closest is with just henna.
    My question is, since there is a lot of colour variation in my hair (ranging to medium brown to blond) would I be able to achieve this colour with a careful henna application? This isn't my first time at the henna rodeo (I hennaed my pixie cut but it ended up getting too dark, hopefully I can avoid that this time) and I know how careful you have to be with henna.
    Any advice you could give me would be very much appreciated! Thank you

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Henna colour question

In short? Probably not in that exact shade. Henna is a fickle beast. You can probably get close (maybe even almost but-not-quite exact) but it will look different based on lightning. Most importantly of all, once you get the exact shade you want it's critical to switch to root only because henna darkens on repeat applications.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    In short? Probably not in that exact shade. Henna is a fickle beast. You can probably get close (maybe even almost but-not-quite exact) but it will look different based on lightning. Most importantly of all, once you get the exact shade you want it's critical to switch to root only because henna darkens on repeat applications.
    I came here to say exactly this. You can't get one target shade with henna because it shifts so much in the light.

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Thank you for your responses! In that case, would I almost be better getting it dyed in a salon? I really want to avoid damage as it's my virgin hair and I want to keep it as healthy as possible so I would be hesitant with chemical dyes...

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Why not do some strand testing and see for yourself with henna? Then you can take the tests around to different types of light and see what you think.

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Why not do some strand testing and see for yourself with henna? Then you can take the tests around to different types of light and see what you think.
    So I've done a couple strand tests using shed hair from my brush and I was really happy with the result so I decided to do another strand test with a small section of my own hair, mostly so that I could see what the colour looks like through the different tones in my hair. I did this yesterday in the same way as the other samples but there aren't really any red tones in it like there are in my samples and it just looks like a slightly darker brown. Have I done something wrong? I made my mix predominantly with water and a splash of lemon juice and left to dye release for 10 hours in a warm room and then applied for 3 hours. Should I have mixed it with just lemon juice or another acid? Thank you so much for all your advice so far, it's really really helpful

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Here's a picture of the the strand test I did, hopefully this works since it's the first time I'm posting an image...

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

http://postimg.cc/MnmL5wkv or maybe this works better?

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

And here are two pictures taken in daylight of the strand test I did yesterday next to my natural hair colour. As you can see it's just a dark brown and very different to my other strand test... https://postimg.cc/fk3Tr2Rw
    https://postimg.cc/YvxpWTbx

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

What does it look like in the sun and in brighter light? Cause those sunlight pictures do not actually look like sunlight pictures--either your camera did something funny with the settings or you're not in direct sunlight...

(also that doesn't look brown at all to me)
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights