2 4.55%
  • I am not Asian but I think that it does

10 22.73%
  • I am not Asian but I think that it does not

6 13.64%
  • Cheddar

9 20.45%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Does Asian black hair sun-bleach?

Default Re: Does Asian black hair sun-bleach?

Quote Originally Posted by The-Young-Maid View Post
    But why wouldn't hair sun bleach? I'm not asian so my opinion probably doesn't matter here. Asian hair usually needs a stronger volume bleach so I'm assuming that normal sun exposure doesn't damage it much. But any hair can sun bleach.
    No idea... I just know mine seems not to. I ran around Thailand in full sun during the day, sometimes all day, with no more cover for my hair than a baseball cap, and didn't notice any lightening (more's the pity; I would like my hair to lighten so my henna goes brighter red). I can't personally speak to Asian hair, but it would appear some Caucasian hair does not sun-bleach if I'm any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by GrowlingCupcake View Post
    Actually, very dark brown hair can be seen in certain parts of Asia so that could just be their natural hair colour. .
    Yes, exactly. I don't know how true it is that Thai = brown and Chinese = black, but when I started really looking, yes, a lot of Thais seem to have dark-brown. I don't know if I would attribute it to sun-bleaching, though. Thai people like to avoid the sun many times and will cover up to do so, which can include hats/head-coverings that would at least somewhat cover the hair.

Quote Originally Posted by GrowlingCupcake View Post
    Sorry, but I gotta disagree on the beauty standards thing; that's about skin so people tend to protect their skin, use whitening creams, agents, etc. but not their hair. Most of the Asians I know (not including myself this time xD) spend a large amount of their time outdoors. Beaches are very popular, and, in some places, many tan. Mostly the younger generation but it's not that uncommon anymore.
    I always laughed because there was such a dichotomy... the Westerners (including many Russians) out on the beach in next-to-nothing (sometimes red as lobsters) trying to get as much sun as possible, and the Thais huddled under trees and umbrellas in long sleeves and hats trying to avoid it! I'm sure each camp thought the other was nuts. There are just so many cultural differences to explain it-- the Thais can't understand those of us from cold environments being excited about seeing some sun and warmth (since it's all they know and they're sick of it), and the Westerners can't imagine why the Thais want to cover up in that heat! Add into it the cultural differences where in Asia pale skin is good and in the west it's tan skin (both for the same reasons, just differences in lifestyle make it opposite), and the mutual culture shock is complete!

I straddled both... there were many times you'd find me wearing sun sleeves and a scarf, and other times I went bare-armed (I never did get around to carrying an umbrella in the sun except once or twice, but I do know that it makes a difference to carry your shade with you!). It was hot wearing extra stuff but I knew I needed to protect my pale eastern-European skin... I actually burned very rarely there, perhaps precisely because I took more care.

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Asian here (well, Asian-American, born in the US but of Chinese descent) and new to hair care in general. What exactly does "sun bleach" mean here? Does it mean just discolored, or does it mean bleached super blonde/light?

So I have never colored or dyed my hair or added anything to my hair my whole life. But I do spend a lot of time outside (climbing, running, hiking, etc.). My hair is naturally black but most of my hair is really dark brown and there are parts that are lighter/browner, my guess from being in the sun. But nothing dramatic. Is that sun bleach?

Length
    tbl/mbl/dunno
    Type
    1a/C/ii/iii

This is really interesting.

I can't speak for all Asian cultures, but in China, it's regarded that the color of your hair tells a lot about your health. Black hair is a sign of good health while any shade lighter than that (*brown, whether dark or light) is a sign of poor health/nutrition. Thus black hair is regarded as "better" than brown. For example, when we're out in a park or something, my dad points out to me when he sees a child whose hair is brown and not black and says "look, that child isn't eating well/doesn't get the right nutrients".

Coarse and/or thick hair is also a sign of good health.

*Or as Chinese people call it, "yellow".
    Last edited by guska; July 14th, 2019 at 09:44 AM.
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32426&d=1529747049
    In a constant battle with my hair Dealing with hair loss
    Neck --- SL --- CBL --- APL ---BSL --- ???

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Indian black hair seems resilient to solar bleaching as well.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

My hair always becomes brownish, it always had a warm reddish hue to it. I go out a lot in the sun (42-45°C) but the bleaching is very light compared to that or it might be that reddish hue makes it look brown in sunlight. I always get a good tan but my cheeks burn very slightly if I'd been out there for hours.
    La vie en rose.

Hi everyone, I'm Indonesian. And my hair is dark, really black

Usually when women of our descent often go out and their hair are exposed to sunlight and its heat, the hair will become brownish. But usually it won't be nice because the brown color is quite dull and make the hair looks damaged.

Also when our people wear hijab everyday and wear their hair in ponytail for 8 hours per day or longer, it could make their hair look dull as well. All of those sweats just seep into the hair and often it smells quite stinky

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My hair gets bleached by the sun for sure, but it's not too noticeable. It's a weird shade, undamaged part is dark brown, bleached hair turn a burgundy shade. Many people commented that my hair looks "plum" colored. I'm Chinese and have fair skin.
    Last edited by sapphire-o; July 21st, 2019 at 05:58 AM.

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    My hair gets bleached by the sun for sure, but it's not too noticeable. It's a weird shade, undamaged part is dark brown, bleached hair turn a burgundy shade. Many people commented that my hair looks "plum" colored. I'm Chinese and have fair skin.
    That sounds gorgeous

I’m half Japanese, half Jewish, and I think I have some hair traits from both sides.

my hair does lighten from sun, but rather slowly. It’s a very dark dark brown starting out, and currently past waist. The tips are a bit lighter brown than the roots.

my sister has more Japanese traits to her hair - it’s more truly black and a bit thicker than mine. she keeps it short though, so hard to say if she experiences sun bleaching. She also chemically bleached hers last year to color it blue - it took a full day at the salon to manage it.

Length
    ear/tbl/cl
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I'm not Asian, but I went to a high school where about half of the students were. I clearly remember waiting in line behind the Chinese girls and admiring their hair (...and occasionally eyeing split ends, as this was the time when I was starting to care about such things). Some of them did have lighter ends, but not many. Also worth considering that this was at a time when dyed ombre ends were a thing, and I don't know who did that.