Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When henna harmed your hair, was it only after multiple applications?

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default When henna harmed your hair, was it only after multiple applications?

I'm just curious. It happens so rarely, but it does happen.

Length
    APL/HL+/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Default Re: When henna harmed your hair, was it only after multiple applications?

I get split ends if I am not careful about moisturizing or over-manipulating my hair for the first couple days after a henna treatment. Particularly since I have always lived in super dry environments. Over-manipulation can also lead to tangles and breakage. I’m much more careful about moisturizing now, and leave my hair in the same bun for two days after a treatment. Catnip has been a game changer regarding splits, so as long as I don’t do anything dumb (i.e. not stick to what I already know works for me), damage from henna isn’t an issue.
    Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind.
    BCL unruly mixture of 3s. TBL stretched.
    My progress pix on imgur

Length
    neck/apl/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: When henna harmed your hair, was it only after multiple applications?

I feel that my third henna application (in a few months, maybe) made my hair dry. That was a few years ago, and I stopped using it, but also because I didnít like the burgundy color on myself. Iím giving it another chance, however, and did a henna mix recently. My hair is frustrating by nature, it might have happened anyhow. I donít know...

(Edit: I did like the first use back then and felt it was protecting my hair.)
    Last edited by CosmoCat; June 18th, 2019 at 03:23 AM.
    24Ē...on my way to BSL with a goal of waist.

Length
    8"/HL/termi
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Liz H View Post
    I'm just curious. It happens so rarely, but it does happen.
    Hello,
    Fellow Arizonian here, pending my second application as soon as I have time to let it 'rest' in for a couple nights and days. Looks like I can do it in six more days, (which will be nearly a month since my first application.)

I definitely liked the first application and hope the second goes as well. I didn't realize at first just how much it opens the cuticle! Thank goodness I didn't do anything to mess it up, (I let the henna soak in for 3 hours, rinsed out by soaking in a tub, then shower/shampooed and went to bed. I waited another 24 hours to shampoo, then a couple more days also. However I used a John Frieda color conditioner for red and a red/warm/henna based shampoo also for the next few washes.

Now I'm using Mane and Tail deep conditioning. I wonder how long it takes the cuticle to relax and close after having the mask of henna on for 3 hours, delicate care afterwards definitely seemed to save the day.
    Jen
    p.s. now I'm concerned over actually getting any damage but, I used henna only.

Mustang mare Zipporah

Length
    APL/HL+/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Genne View Post
    Hello,
    Fellow Arizonian here, pending my second application as soon as I have time to let it 'rest' in for a couple nights and days. Looks like I can do it in six more days, (which will be nearly a month since my first application.)

I definitely liked the first application and hope the second goes as well. I didn't realize at first just how much it opens the cuticle! Thank goodness I didn't do anything to mess it up, (I let the henna soak in for 3 hours, rinsed out by soaking in a tub, then shower/shampooed and went to bed. I waited another 24 hours to shampoo, then a couple more days also. However I used a John Frieda color conditioner for red and a red/warm/henna based shampoo also for the next few washes.

Now I'm using Mane and Tail deep conditioning. I wonder how long it takes the cuticle to relax and close after having the mask of henna on for 3 hours, delicate care afterwards definitely seemed to save the day.
    Jen
    p.s. now I'm concerned over actually getting any damage but, I used henna only.
    Howdy neighbor! I’m actually in the Phoenix area too, but will be moving back to eastern Washington in the next month.

I’ve read that it takes about 48 hours for the cuticle to close after a henna treatment, and in my experience that seems to be accurate. I can actually feel whether my cuticle is up or down, but post henna dryness and tangliness are pretty good indicators too. I’ve found that a diluted vinegar rinse after rinsing out henna can encourage the cuticle to lay flat though.
    Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind.
    BCL unruly mixture of 3s. TBL stretched.
    My progress pix on imgur

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I had about 2-4 applications, and it felt as though I had bleached it. Dry, not just after rinsing, but *constantly*. And it went overly porous as well.

No, not for me. No more. Not ever again!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I have been using henna on my hair about every 4-6 weeks for the past ~4 years and never really felt like I had these negative effects of dryness of excessive porosity, with my hair. Perhaps because my hair is so fine and fragile I have to baby it and moisturize it a lot anyways, but I don't feel that the henna itself is chemically damaging. I just try to be very careful about minimizing mechanical damage during the henna application process, which can be super tangly.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by queencarrion View Post
    I have been using henna on my hair about every 4-6 weeks for the past ~4 years and never really felt like I had these negative effects of dryness of excessive porosity, with my hair. Perhaps because my hair is so fine and fragile I have to baby it and moisturize it a lot anyways, but I don't feel that the henna itself is chemically damaging. I just try to be very careful about minimizing mechanical damage during the henna application process, which can be super tangly.
    IDK, my hair is F too, and can be quite babyfine in some areas (sides, and front, not all over).

Me and henna just never got along, I'm afraid.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    8"/HL/termi
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by JennGalt View Post
    Howdy neighbor! I’m actually in the Phoenix area too, but will be moving back to eastern Washington in the next month.

I’ve read that it takes about 48 hours for the cuticle to close after a henna treatment, and in my experience that seems to be accurate. I can actually feel whether my cuticle is up or down, but post henna dryness and tangliness are pretty good indicators too. I’ve found that a diluted vinegar rinse after rinsing out henna can encourage the cuticle to lay flat though.
    Oh my goodness, what a GREAT time of you to go back to the Northwest! Enjoy. I agree that I could feel my hair was different for the next 2 days, mine felt less tangly and much heavier, (but I have baby soft super tangly hair naturally.) Now I will be diligent and leery to see how my cuticles handles the next application.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I had about 2-4 applications, and it felt as though I had bleached it. Dry, not just after rinsing, but *constantly*. And it went overly porous as well.

No, not for me. No more. Not ever again!
    Good news to know, I will pay a lot of attention, I want to take care of the growth I have as I'm just about to go to new lengths for me. Fingers crossed and eyes open!!
    Jen

Mustang mare Zipporah

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

That one time when a few hairs on the back of my head tot tangled quite badly, I was PMSing hard, got very frustrated and just ripped the knot off. Yeah, I'd say that was damaging.

Other than that I don't think henna ever did anything to my hair beside tinting it.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones