Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

  1. #1
    Member Stardreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    391
    Length
    APL/SL/APL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

    Default Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

    I wear glasses. I always wear my hair in a bun when I'm in public. Because I have curly hair, I brush it and it is always fluffy so I can't wear it down in public because I look ridiculous.

    My glasses are a sort of teal blue, which in my opinion is kind of edgy because many people don't have this colour of glasses. My style's not edgy though, I wear leggings and a t-shirt with a sweatshirt over top. I might describe that as tomboy/mixed/don't-care-style. But I look like a nerd with glasses and a bun. I don't like my hairline either, feel very self conscious of it because it's not "full" and it gets exposed. The bun I do is just a "half-ponytail" bun ie. when making a ponytail you don't pull it through completely, so it folds and makes a "bun". I don't even like this hairstyle, but my only other option is a cinnabun. I'm not at APL yet but I was before my cut.

    I control my hair with buns, but I don't want to look nerdy. I want to look edgy kind of. I feel mistaken for the "nerd" all the time, even though I am 100% not. I've been wearing this bun for ages. I really can't cope with the "glasses and bun" thing. It's really not for me.

    Do you have any advice?
    1. What would you recommend for my big/high forehead and poor hairline which has been abused by my buns?
    2. What kind of buns do you suggest to look less 'nerdy'
    3. What other hairstyles would you recommend
    4. And other advice in general?
    5. How to look more edgy to change my style?

    Thanks
    2 months

  2. #2
    Member mwallingford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    322
    Length
    BSL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

    1. I tend to think that braids look edgy (depending on how they're done) especially dutch braids for some reason. They may also give your hairline a bit of a break since you mentioned that is a concern of yours. But if you're not comfortable with braiding, could you try switching up hair accessories? I know you said your hair is not necessarily considered "long", but maybe in the future you could try out metal or acrylic hair toys in your desired style? As for being self conscious about your hairline; most of us are our own worst critics and I'm sure it looks nice!

    2. For different bun types, have you tried a disc bun? I've never been terribly successful with it, but a lot of people swear by them.

    3. See #1, but I think braids could be a good match

    4. I'm sure you've heard this before, but have you thought about not brushing out your curls? It will likely be better for them in the long run not to mess up the structure as much and IMMHO, natural curls are absolutely beautiful!

    5. In terms of being more edgy, I would again suggest the braids!

  3. #3
    LHC FairyGodMum lapushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    49,598
    Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

    Quote Originally Posted by mwallingford View Post
    4. I'm sure you've heard this before, but have you thought about not brushing out your curls? It will likely be better for them in the long run not to mess up the structure as much and IMMHO, natural curls are absolutely beautiful!
    I keep re-iterating that, but she seems determined to brush it out.

    If you could brush wet and then leave your curls to naturally dry (and not brush again until next wash), you might be able to wear your hair down!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

  4. #4
    Member CopperButterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Age
    34
    Posts
    400
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

    You could try bangs to soften the look around your face and your hairline. It's what I do.

    You could also give the curly girl method a try and see if you can learn to care for your curls so they can feel manageable without being bunned.

    My sister has curly hair in the 3's, and when she switched to curly girl, her hair went from bushy to beautiful defined curls.

    APL ~
    BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~TBL? ~ Classic????
    Hennahead~Type 1c/M/ii/iii
    No Trim first half 2019 ~ Waist by Christmas 2019

  5. #5

    Default Re: Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

    I didn't brush my hair last week and my curls remained through day 5. Then I brushed, the curls went poofy, and I had to refresh to get the pattern restored.

    Edgy styles can depend, largely, on the person as well. And accessories. A bun doesn't have to look like a bookish librarian.

    I wear and style with halfups and braids, regularly. And while I am most definitely a nerd, I get viking and biker far more often these days, along with hippie.

  6. #6
    Member Stardreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    391
    Length
    APL/SL/APL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

    Default Re: Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

    Quote Originally Posted by mwallingford View Post
    1. I tend to think that braids look edgy (depending on how they're done) especially dutch braids for some reason. They may also give your hairline a bit of a break since you mentioned that is a concern of yours. But if you're not comfortable with braiding, could you try switching up hair accessories? I know you said your hair is not necessarily considered "long", but maybe in the future you could try out metal or acrylic hair toys in your desired style? As for being self conscious about your hairline; most of us are our own worst critics and I'm sure it looks nice!

    2. For different bun types, have you tried a disc bun? I've never been terribly successful with it, but a lot of people swear by them.

    3. See #1, but I think braids could be a good match

    4. I'm sure you've heard this before, but have you thought about not brushing out your curls? It will likely be better for them in the long run not to mess up the structure as much and IMMHO, natural curls are absolutely beautiful!

    5. In terms of being more edgy, I would again suggest the braids!
    In reply to:
    1. I have no hair accessories. I'm sure I criticise my hairline more than others, but it really does go back a lot, making me think I have hair loss there!
    2. Tried it but I need a hair stick for that
    4. Yeah but the problem was that they're still thick and a bit fluffy. Being between shoulder length and APL, they go in my face and I can't stand how short they are.

    Thanks
    2 months

  7. #7
    Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    UK
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,636
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardreamer View Post
    In reply to:
    1. I have no hair accessories. I'm sure I criticise my hairline more than others, but it really does go back a lot, making me think I have hair loss there!
    2. Tried it but I need a hair stick for that
    4. Yeah but the problem was that they're still thick and a bit fluffy. Being between shoulder length and APL, they go in my face and I can't stand how short they are.

    Thanks
    Could you perhaps do a half-up to keep them out of your face? (I don't know if it would solve the whole problem but it did spring to mind.)
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! Tiny trim and now onto Calf!
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair - phew

  8. #8
    Member Stardreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    391
    Length
    APL/SL/APL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

    Default Re: Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I keep re-iterating that, but she seems determined to brush it out.

    If you could brush wet and then leave your curls to naturally dry (and not brush again until next wash), you might be able to wear your hair down!
    Hahah very determined. DON'T BRUSH WHILE WET! Combing is best for wet hair. But I find my curls just go in my face, tickle my neck, go everywhere...

    Quote Originally Posted by CopperButterfly View Post
    You could try bangs to soften the look around your face and your hairline. It's what I do.

    You could also give the curly girl method a try and see if you can learn to care for your curls so they can feel manageable without being bunned.

    My sister has curly hair in the 3's, and when she switched to curly girl, her hair went from bushy to beautiful defined curls.
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by cjk View Post
    I didn't brush my hair last week and my curls remained through day 5. Then I brushed, the curls went poofy, and I had to refresh to get the pattern restored.

    Edgy styles can depend, largely, on the person as well. And accessories. A bun doesn't have to look like a bookish librarian.

    I wear and style with halfups and braids, regularly. And while I am most definitely a nerd, I get viking and biker far more often these days, along with hippie.
    I'm thinking of going for the hippie style, awesome!
    2 months

  9. #9
    Member Stardreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    391
    Length
    APL/SL/APL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

    Default Re: Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Could you perhaps do a half-up to keep them out of your face? (I don't know if it would solve the whole problem but it did spring to mind.)
    I could - but I feel like curls make me look immature, young, strange.
    2 months

  10. #10

    Default Re: Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardreamer View Post
    I could - but I feel like curls make me look immature, young, strange.
    You want edgy? Embrace the strange!

    What I mean is that you can work with your hair. The way you describe it as thick, voluminous, and naturally curly is basically any hairdresser's dream. Women pay hundreds of dollars to achieve what you have naturally.

    It really is true, each of us wants what we don't have.

    Styling is a language. Yeah, that's a good way to think of it. A language. What are you wanting your hair to say?

    And I'll just point out that your hair, in conjunction with your clothes, your makeup, any jewelry you wear, and so forth will ALL tell a story. In the "Show your hair pictures" thread one of the ladies is wearing 2 small accent braids and she looks like she just stepped out of a Viking village. Gorgeous.

    Paired with some cigarette pants, a loose white blouse, and a slim fitted leather jacket she'd look edgy and cool.

    It's the whole package, not JUST any individual element. And that includes the hair.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •