Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complicated Bleaching issue...

Default Complicated Bleaching issue...

So, I did what everyone says not to do - bleach your own hair. But, I spent literal hours researching, watching videos of amateurs and professionals alike, and I was prepared to be very patient and lighten my hair very slowly. My end goal was/is platinum to then dye silver and pastel colors. I was fully expecting my hair to go orange, but now I'm wondering where to go from here until I can bleach again.
    My hair background: My natural color is light brown, I think 1b?, and I've been dying it blue black for a couple years now. Yes, I know it's extremely difficult to go from black to platinum. The last time I dyed my hair, I tried to lighten it to a plum 4vv color. I used 30 volume developer all over, in hopes that it would be strong enough to lighten my black hair. Well it did not show up on the black at all, and my regrowth, which was about two inches long, was bright purple. I should've known that would happen..
    So I then decided I wanted to try and go blonde. I used a color remover first and it worked okay, but my mid-lengths and ends were still very dark brown, and my roots/regrowth that were not dyed black turned bright orange. So I threw a 6n demi-permanent over it, and that turned out okay.
    So today was bleaching day, and I did my ends first with 30 vol, and then my roots/regrowth with 20 vol. All my products are ion brand, and I also added the ion absolute perfection booster. That helped keep it healthy, and my hair doesn't feel too damaged right now - just a bit dry. But long story short as you can hopefully see in the pictures, my ends are still pretty dark (which I expected) but my roots/regrowth are verrrry bright/light orange. It's also very uneven/patchy, and there are oddly some sections that are actually greenish, which I have no idea why.
    So... what should I do to fix this? Should I try bleaching my ends again and try to avoid the root area? Should I put an ash demi color over everything to try and tone the orange? Should I try toning with a blue semi-permanent, like Manic Panic, mixed with conditioner (I've seen people do that before, but I'm still wondering about the uneven color) Or, should I just dye it back to a darker color and give up on being blonde? All advice appreciated.
    PS: please don't tell me what I should've done differently, as I can't go back. I need to know my options for where I'm at now. thanks!
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/AzncpkQMzME64Cqc6

Length
    CBL/WL/FTL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Complicated Bleaching issue...

Colour remover again. The darkness in your length is dye. You can bleach it out if you're lucky but most likely you will fry your hair in the process, especially considering you're going silver. Also, colour removers, NOT strippers. Colour removers are drying but not damaging outside of that. Also, shampoo your hair a few times before going at it with bleach/dye after colour remover. If there is any dye left, even if your hair seems light, the peroxide can cause it to re-oxidise.

If you haven't found it already, hairdyeforum is a great resource. Check out the masterposts on home bleaching and colour removers.

Honestly, I would back away now. I'm saying that as someone who went that exact route, from dyed dark hair to light blonde. I did eventually get to my goal colour, but my hair was fried, falling off, and the colour was uneven and took toner differently depending on how damaged it was, so I was left with yellow roots and purple lengths, even after "spot treating" it. I quickly got sick of the upkeep and decided to dye it darker again, and with the unnevenly damaged hair holding onto dye differently I now have almost black lengths, a weird reddish mid length that flares blonde, and then my brown virgin roots. The worst part however is the difference in texture. The bleached parts don't act like hair, if that makes sense. It's stiff and gross and dry even after tons of conditioners and oils. My virgin hair, I only shampoo it and yet it's shiny and smooth! The difference is driving me crazy and if it weren't for buns, I would probably get a boy cut already.

Going Platinum will damage your hair when done in a salon on virgin hair. It's possible to do at home, but chances are it will be unneven and very damaging, especially with previous permanent dye. With your hair already showing signs of being stained from the colouring (the dark ends and the greenish tint) I would really, really recommend you stop now before it's too late, or at least go to a salon. If you are hellbent on doing it, try colour removers before, let them work for a long time and rinse until you never want to shower again, and when you bleach, go SLOWLY. Seriously. Put away the 30vol developer. Use protein treatments in between and baby your hair. It's tempting to dye it to a more pleasing colour in between bleachings but don't, unless you use true semis and conditioner (and be aware these can stain if you're unlucky).

I hope I don't come off as mean with saying you should back off, it's just that I've done that exact thing and I'm paying for it big time. I wish I could go back in time and pry that bleach out of my hands!

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Go to a professional. They can try and even out the colour for you and get you as light as possible. Then you can keep doing your own roots later.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    24”/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Mixing a temporary dye like manic panic with conditioner is only going to be extremely temporary, like, a few washes. I’d do as the above commenter has suggested and avoid bleach if you want to keep your length. You’re at a point now where your hair will have sustained some damage, but not too much that it’s a disaster. Your next move should be very calculated, so as not to ruin your hair completely!
    Maybe you should go to a reputable salon and tell them exactly what you’ve used and when, then they can finish the job for you? Perhaps going back to dark blonde-ish for a while might be best, until more of your natural hair colour grows out and can withstand being bleached to go platinum!
    APL - BSL - *MBL* - WL - HL - TBL
    Last trim: 12th March 2021
    Pantene fanatic, sulphate and silicone lover

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It's not that hard to go from a natural black to light (just enough bleach / sessions), but it IS hard to go from black *dye* to very light. Which is why I would recommend you stop messing with this yourself, and try and go to a professional, and please *pretty please with sugar on top* do it now before you ruin your hair!

I did home bleaching, and chemically cut my hair / burned my scalp due to too much of it.

Hair dressers (good ones) know exactly when enough = enough and what to do.

Your roots are almost light enough, but the rest of your hair (where the dye probably is?) needs a lot more.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    8/22/28
    Type
    1a/C/ii/iii

Whatever you do next, patch test first. Choose a strand of hair in the depths of your mane, and abuse it as much as you like, and watch what happens. You might even try different things on different strands. Then, depending on the results, either do what brought the best results to the rest of your hair, or go to a salon. Then have them strand test first.

I think you can make it blonette without losing much of the length. I would not go black again if you want to eventually be platinum. Good luck!
    2014 - pixie ---- 2015 - bob ---- 2016 - APL ---- 2016 - bob ---- 2018 - BSL ---- 2019 - waist ---- 2019 - hip ---- 2020 - tailbone ---- ???? - ???

I agree that to get rid of the dark ends color remover is the gentlest option. Color Oops extra strength has worked very well for me in the past for removing permanent dyes.
    What worries me though are the green bits in your hair.
    There is a chance that the green stems from some sort of chemical reaction and is permanent and irreversible (I really hope not).
    I guess it could also be green pigment from the demi permanent 6n hair dye, are the green spots in the area where you used that dye?
    Last edited by Carrieberry77; June 17th, 2019 at 01:56 AM.

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I second Ylva on that: I´d go to a professional, you need a good hairstylist that knows what he´s doing. Black hair dye is very stubborn, and you used lots of products that can react with each other.

I personally I won´t dye it again, not even with manic panic: adding more pigment over your hair is not going to improve the situation.
    I don´t know in what field you work or what environment you live, but... could you consider on leaving it alone for a week or two (maybe just using blue shampoo to tone the worst out)? I know that not all jobs would allow that, but I think you should plan the next step carefully (or to find the right hairstylist for the job, not every licensed professional works the same)
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

The green pigment could also stem from the black dye, those usually have some green pigment in to make it ashy (or just not warm). As far as I remember, it's one of the bigger pigments and tends to cling to hair, especially porous hair that has been dyed/bleached a few times.

My recommendation too is: go to a trusted colorist and tell them what you have used on your hair and at what strengths. They will be able to get you slowly to your goal without making it more uneven and with less damage. And if platinum isn't possible they should be able to get you safely back to a dark color you like without orange shining through after a couple of washes.
    There will be some damage but right now it won't be too much. I'd skip the ManicPanic for now, it's temporary, but it's also one more thing that you need to get out of your strands to get to your goal. Going back to dark will likely also become patchy soon.
    Pamper your hair as much as you can while you look for the colorist: deep condition it, maybe you have some Olaplex on hand or another protein treatment and be careful while styling, bleached hair can snap a lot faster than what you're used to.

Keep us updated how things work out This forum is a well of knowledge when it comes to babying hair, no matter what your starting point is.
    At true tailbone!

Length
    21/21/33
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

So sorry you are going through this. I would definitely see a professional as soon as possible and not mess with this at home any more. I think it can be lightened safely but may take a few sessions.

Have you ever put henna on your hair? I had henna’ed my hair several years back, and when I went to get highlights the highlighted portions turned bright green. It was a reaction with metallic salts in the henna. Maybe there was something similar in your dark dye? Anyways-there is no way to get the green out once it goes there (according to my stylist). She dyed my green hair bright red, which counteracted the green, then applied a brown dye on top, so I ended back up with brown hair again. Better than green, but so much damage I would have rather avoided.

Please update us when you get a chance.