Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How damaging is dye? (no bleach)

Default How damaging is dye? (no bleach)

I used to bleach and dye my hair a lot. And I was a lifeguard, so my hair was constantly full of chlorine. I didn't have serious long hair ambitions at the time, so whenever I disliked the texture of my hair from all the mistreatment I'd just cut it off. Now I have shoulder length virgin hair. I don't dislike my natural color, I just ever so loved having a variegated blue mane.
    What are y'all's thoughts on dying without bleach? I used Splat Semi-Permanent and Color Ion Semi-Permanent in the past. I still have some of my old favorites. Has anyone else used these? I don't remember having split ends or breakage, but I also didn't pay much attention.
    Thoughts on Olaplex? I read some amount of that thread, and the overall theme seemed to be that Olaplex is nice, but not a miracle. And expensive.
    Right now my length goal is somewhere between tailbone and classic. And I really want healthy blunt ends, otherwise it's not worth it.
    If trimming will help I don't mind. I want to reach my goals, and sooner would be great, but if I can take more time with it in order to have nice ends with a fun color, I'd do that.

(Sorry if this issue has been well discussed in other threads! I'm new and I didn't see any.)

Default Re: How damaging is dye? (no bleach)

Also, my hair is mostly straight. I wash 2 times a week (currently with low sulfate shampoo and conditioner, though once I run out I plan to try some Chagrin Valley bars with acidic rinses). I'm blonette and totally happy for the color to be not so bright. I don't do any heat styling, or put any styling products in my hair (I'll occasionally use leave-in conditioner, my hair is short and doesn't need it now, but I'm trying to build habits and prevent as much damage as possible). I have used elastics in some of my more awkward stages from growing out a buzzed head (buzzed because I liked it that way, not because of damage), though I'm trying to get away from them now. I have to have my hair up for work, and it's not long enough to put completely up with a stick or fork. My hair is also moderately thick, so clips have trouble holding it all. I am trying to build healthy habits, now, while I still have time to prevent damage before it happens.
    But.
    Also.
    I like having blue hair...

Length
    Pixie/15"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Temporary colors like splat and manic panic are non damaging. Its only permanent colors and bleach that damage.
    Splat has a line especially for dark hair, I think the blue is called midnight indigo.
    Stay calm and waffle on

My sister who went to beauty school also told me if I ever want to color my hair to use semi permanent to avoid damage. I was asking her because I was thinking when I get grey hairs to maybe dye then to match my natural color.
    Goal tailbone to classic
    Natural dark blonde
    Fine and Slightly wavy

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleJean View Post
    My sister who went to beauty school also told me if I ever want to color my hair to use semi permanent to avoid damage. I was asking her because I was thinking when I get grey hairs to maybe dye then to match my natural color.
    Semi's that cover grays? Do they exist?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I am in the United States. My husband uses one called "Just for men". It's suppose to target just the grey hairs. I have no idea how it knows which are grey hairs but he says it works well for him. He is about 25% Grey now. It appears to cover greys and it looks totally natural. You can't even tell that he put anything in his hair just that he is less grey. He says even though it's marketed towards men he thinks women could use it too.

Once I get greys I'll probably just use a semi permanent in my natural hair color. Hopefully I won't have to worry about it for a while!
    Goal tailbone to classic
    Natural dark blonde
    Fine and Slightly wavy

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleJean View Post
    I am in the United States. My husband uses one called "Just for men". It's suppose to target just the grey hairs. I have no idea how it knows which are grey hairs but he says it works well for him. He is about 25% Grey now. It appears to cover greys and it looks totally natural. You can't even tell that he put anything in his hair just that he is less grey. He says even though it's marketed towards men he thinks women could use it too.

Once I get greys I'll probably just use a semi permanent in my natural hair color. Hopefully I won't have to worry about it for a while!
    I'm in Belgium. What we have for semi's in the drugstore is "Casting colors". And I don't know how that does on gray at all... wait, I am going to look that up.
    https://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/produ...ng-creme-gloss

It appears to cover gray hair.

I'm glad I looked that up!!!
    Thanks for making me think about this!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Yes, but the effect is more like natural highlights (a lighter color). Semi's also wash out quicker from the greys/whites than one's natural color, from my experience.
    Not Cut, But After Washing, Before Brushing and Bunning...Baby steps!

Length
    ?/38-39/?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I'm in Belgium. What we have for semi's in the drugstore is "Casting colors". And I don't know how that does on gray at all... wait, I am going to look that up.

I was wondering, the casting colors use a developer, will it damage your hair? I've been looking at some of them.

Length
    ?/38-39/?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I will attempt to dye the ends of my hair, probably somewhere this week. I'll be using Colorista, witch is a conditioner with a color in it. I'm pretty sure it won't show up very much because my hair is slightly to dark I think. Although they have some options for darker hair.

I was wondering, the casting colors use a developer, will it damage your hair? I've been looking at some of them and decided against it because of the developer.

I'm not formulier with hair dye, so chances are I'm wrong about this. Maybe someone els knows this?