Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese straightening

Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Re: Japanese straightening

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    May I ask why do you want a haircut? Just curious...
    I got it cut because it's all falling out and I know from experience that I don't like it much long in it's postpartum state, plus I like the idea of short hair for swimming and other summer activities. Plus I have this romantic idea about growing my hair out with my baby daughter. But I got a bad cut at the salon, not what I asked for, uneven, and doesn't work with my texture. So I cut it myself after thinking it over. But I'm not a stylist and I think that with the right stylist I could get a cut that I like much better.

I've been taking things really slowly, starting with a cut to waist last summer. I'm not doing any rash decisions.

Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    When it's 2a short is gonna be poofy, and not "easy" wash & go hair, just so you remember.
    Thanks. Yes, too late, lol. That's why I'm thinking of perming straight, or layers that make the poof look more presentable. The poof is exactly the problem.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Maybe just microtrim? If the shedding is now an issue, it will not be say in half a year, and by that time you might regret going really short. If you don't like BSL, imagine how you will feel at pixie?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lou View Post
    I got it cut because it's all falling out and I know from experience that I don't like it much long in it's postpartum state, plus I like the idea of short hair for swimming and other summer activities. Plus I have this romantic idea about growing my hair out with my baby daughter. But I got a bad cut at the salon, not what I asked for, uneven, and doesn't work with my texture. So I cut it myself after thinking it over. But I'm not a stylist and I think that with the right stylist I could get a cut that I like much better.

I've been taking things really slowly, starting with a cut to waist last summer. I'm not doing any rash decisions.
    Ok, I can understand that. Yeah, that's why I hate to go to hair stylists or salons these days. The only one I would go to is a beauty school that has smart knowledgeable students that can do hair really well. But yeah, if your hair was falling out it was best to get a hair cut.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I agree with lapushka. It you don't like BSL..imagine how you will feel at pixie is right.

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I think that you might be the best person to give you a hair cut you like. You already have some experience so you've gotten over the hardest step. I was very afraid when I first started. I would check out some different tutorials on YouTube, there are many different hemline and easy layered/compact cuts you can do on your own hair.
    I agree with lapushka as well. I am a firm believer of you can always trim more but cant glue it back on. And hair takes a long time to grow, pixie back to bsl could be 3 or more years.
    I also just got over a postpartum shed and I am glad I didnt chop. It did last some months and was very unsettling so I understand how you feel. I would save hairs and even count them(dont recommend it can cause more stress) to keep track and monitor until it finally slowed down just recently. My son is 18 months now, I shed heavily for close to a year of that time. My overall thickness is already traveling down again, I did have tufts sticking up for a while but they're starting to lay down now.
    What if you change your sleep style to give you uniform beachy waves everyday? A cinnabun or rope braided cinnabun on top of my head gives pretty good results.

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lou View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the good info.

I do worry about time spent in the chair, cost, and exposure to chemicals. I'm avoiding keratin treatments because of the fumes. It's impossible to avoid inhaling the fumes that contain formaldehyde (even the formaldehyde free formulas). I'm assuming that Japanese straightening does not have fumes? I am much more comfortable with chemicals on my skin, since skin is a fairly good barrier vs inhalation.

I called a couple of salons that offer the service (appear to be Vietnamese salons) and each said $150 for hair above the shoulder with increasing pricing the longer the hair. I'm more than a bit worried about having it done by someone who knows what they're doing. I don't think I'll need to do it very often if I decide to maintain since my hair is only wavy, and not even very wavy. I definitely don't want to be spending a lot on my hair over time. And yeah, I don't look forward to spending hours in a salon. I have so little kid-free time to spare...

I could also be totally underestimating the damage and how much I'll hate the feel of damaged hair. I'm sure that embracing my natural texture is the best advice, which I have been told over and over on these forums over the years. I've also been looking at short layered haircuts that I could get that would probably work with my texture. I just want to try out permanent straightening. I have this idea that it could be the best thing ever... which probably means it's not.
    If you are willing to drive to LA, I can provide you with the contact information for the stylist I used for past 8 years (after much trial and error, found her and stuck with her as she is really good and her prices are great). The salon is Korean so language barrier is definitely a thing there but the stylist is very sweet and very good at this treatment. My hair being 3b/3c was always quite stubborn and most other stylist I went to weren't always successful at getting all the curls out r they cut corners. Whereas this stylist is VERY detail oriented and her prices are reasonable and close to what you mentioned.

Even if you only had to do the treatment twice a year (much less I highly doubt would work without using a blowdryer or flat iron for the inconsistent or difference in texture/shine/straightness considering it comes out bone straight) its still something to consider in terms of hours spent in the chair (which may not be a big deal but I seriously would dread appointment days because of it) and of course the chemicals. True, there aren't fumes to be inhaled like with the Keratin treatments, but the stinging and the burning of the scalp is very real and it would lend to sore scalp for a few days after. Idk if you have already done this or not, but I also would look at photos/videos of those who have done this treatment to see the type of texture or volume you would end up with. For me the volume was practically non-existent which is why I started using clip ins to help AND used a curly iron to get a little more volume. My hair was between shoulder and BSL.

The hair can feel weird and at times gummy (when wet) but once I switched my stylist I experience the gummy-ness a lot less as I think she was better at gauging the ideal mixture and timing for my hair which meant less damage. But know it will feel somewhat differently regardless when wet. When dry it feels much better but I hardly had any shine unless I added oil/shine spray which made my hair have even less volume. Anyway I just wanted to share all the info from my experience of doing this for 15 years. I generally wasn't good to my hair on top of these treatments such as using heat daily and still using a curling iron on top of it to get mermaid waves (thinking back, I was clueless when it came to hair health). Plus I didn't do deep conditioning treatments or protein treatments to help my fragile hair out. I completely understand and should point out, your experience may differ greatly especially considering your texture is much less curly than mine. And i will be happy to share my stylist info with you if you are interested, at least you would be going to someone who is very experienced and very good at her job.

I do hope your hair cut (Hopefully you are going with someone who either specializes or is experienced in wavy texture) is going to allow you to enjoy your natural texture with an easy wash and go using perhaps a curling cream - which sounds like really works for you to get those beach waves! Best of luck and I can very much relate to wanting to try something out for yourself.
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017. Last Chem Dye Aug 2019. Last Henna Feb 2020

Length
    21/21/33
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My advice (and I’m no expert by any means) is to ride this one out. I’ve had two kids, I’ve had the shedding. I regret chopping and I regret chemical treatments even more. Your hair is going to be fine. If you want length don’t chop. You’re going to regret chopping and you will definitely regret doing a chemical treatment on your whole head. You’ll be paying for that for years.

If you’re not worried about length go for it, but understand your nice Virgin hair is not going to ever be the same.

Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Maybe just microtrim? If the shedding is now an issue, it will not be say in half a year, and by that time you might regret going really short. If you don't like BSL, imagine how you will feel at pixie?
    Good advice.

Long hair is for sure, and will forever be, the easiest, least maintenance hair for me. But I've been having pixie dreams for years. It's almost too hard to go short when you hang around on LHC too long. I see this as an opportunity. I'm determined to enjoy short hair for a while. I do remember having a pixie and needing to style it every day which is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Quote Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
    I think that you might be the best person to give you a hair cut you like. You already have some experience so you've gotten over the hardest step. I was very afraid when I first started. I would check out some different tutorials on YouTube, there are many different hemline and easy layered/compact cuts you can do on your own hair.
    I agree with lapushka as well. I am a firm believer of you can always trim more but cant glue it back on. And hair takes a long time to grow, pixie back to bsl could be 3 or more years.
    I also just got over a postpartum shed and I am glad I didnt chop. It did last some months and was very unsettling so I understand how you feel. I would save hairs and even count them(dont recommend it can cause more stress) to keep track and monitor until it finally slowed down just recently. My son is 18 months now, I shed heavily for close to a year of that time. My overall thickness is already traveling down again, I did have tufts sticking up for a while but they're starting to lay down now.
    What if you change your sleep style to give you uniform beachy waves everyday? A cinnabun or rope braided cinnabun on top of my head gives pretty good results.
    I like to think that I'm pretty good at cutting my own hair. But there are limitations in cutting your own hair and I don't think I can get what I want on my own.

Congrats on your thickness making it's way down! I guess mine must never have filled back in because my son is only 3 so that's only a foot and a half of regrowth. I kind of regret not cutting my hair after my last pregnancy, at least to waist. It's not worth being unhappy with my hair so long. The shedding is not upsetting to me. I knew it was coming. I even cut my hair last year knowing it was coming.

I can kinda get my hair in a cinnabun overnight but the waves end up too tight. I mean to try a sock bun but usually I just don't find time to do that stuff before bed and it's going to be difficult when it's this short.

Quote Originally Posted by BerrySara View Post
    If you are willing to drive to LA, I can provide you with the contact information for the stylist I used for past 8 years (after much trial and error, found her and stuck with her as she is really good and her prices are great). The salon is Korean so language barrier is definitely a thing there but the stylist is very sweet and very good at this treatment. My hair being 3b/3c was always quite stubborn and most other stylist I went to weren't always successful at getting all the curls out r they cut corners. Whereas this stylist is VERY detail oriented and her prices are reasonable and close to what you mentioned.

Even if you only had to do the treatment twice a year (much less I highly doubt would work without using a blowdryer or flat iron for the inconsistent or difference in texture/shine/straightness considering it comes out bone straight) its still something to consider in terms of hours spent in the chair (which may not be a big deal but I seriously would dread appointment days because of it) and of course the chemicals. True, there aren't fumes to be inhaled like with the Keratin treatments, but the stinging and the burning of the scalp is very real and it would lend to sore scalp for a few days after. Idk if you have already done this or not, but I also would look at photos/videos of those who have done this treatment to see the type of texture or volume you would end up with. For me the volume was practically non-existent which is why I started using clip ins to help AND used a curly iron to get a little more volume. My hair was between shoulder and BSL.

The hair can feel weird and at times gummy (when wet) but once I switched my stylist I experience the gummy-ness a lot less as I think she was better at gauging the ideal mixture and timing for my hair which meant less damage. But know it will feel somewhat differently regardless when wet. When dry it feels much better but I hardly had any shine unless I added oil/shine spray which made my hair have even less volume. Anyway I just wanted to share all the info from my experience of doing this for 15 years. I generally wasn't good to my hair on top of these treatments such as using heat daily and still using a curling iron on top of it to get mermaid waves (thinking back, I was clueless when it came to hair health). Plus I didn't do deep conditioning treatments or protein treatments to help my fragile hair out. I completely understand and should point out, your experience may differ greatly especially considering your texture is much less curly than mine. And i will be happy to share my stylist info with you if you are interested, at least you would be going to someone who is very experienced and very good at her job.

I do hope your hair cut (Hopefully you are going with someone who either specializes or is experienced in wavy texture) is going to allow you to enjoy your natural texture with an easy wash and go using perhaps a curling cream - which sounds like really works for you to get those beach waves! Best of luck and I can very much relate to wanting to try something out for yourself.
    Oh, "gummy" sounds really bad. I would not want that. Was that with multiple applications, or right away after the first time?

I have been looking at before and after photos and videos. It's still hard for me to tell what it will look like. It looks different on different people/hair types. My hair is thick and very coarse, so It's hard for me to imagine that it will be completely flat to my head without any volume at all.

Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

I finally went to one of the salons because they said over the phone they needed to see my hair. And he said because it's so coarse, frizzy, and thick it will take at least 5 and a half hours! Not sure I want to sit in the chair that long...