Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros and cons of BBB brushing

Default Pros and cons of BBB brushing

Hi guys,

Inspired by Victorian/Edwardian ladies and their hair brushing habits I have pondered about purchasing a soft boar bristle brush akin to the ones that were used historically to distribute natural sebum to the drier ends.
    I know that in those times the washing of one's hair was an activity reserved for just several times a year and therefore brushing served the purpose of keeping the hair clean.
    As a modern day lady that washes her hair 2-3 times a week do I benefit from the daily habit of brushing thorougly with a boar bristle brush (after untangling of course)?
    Is the distribution of sebum beneficial for hair growth or does the risk of breakage through brushing outweigh the benefits?

I would love to hear your experiences, with boar bristle brushes.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Pros and cons of BBB brushing

A BBB for 1a hair is fine. It can really smooth the hair down.

For me? It splits and fuzzes my already F hair into small cobwebby fluff. It's too much for my texture, IMO, and I don't like it. I do not use a brush the entire week (I weekly wash). I only use a Tangle Teezer on dry hair pre-wash, and then a Wet brush on my hair post-wash when it comes out the towel damp. That's all. I don't use these tools that often.

But it's a really personal thing.

Some people love a BBB and swear by it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    A BBB for 1a hair is fine. It can really smooth the hair down.

For me? It splits and fuzzes my already F hair into small cobwebby fluff. It's too much for my texture, IMO, and I don't like it. I do not use a brush the entire week (I weekly wash). I only use a Tangle Teezer on dry hair pre-wash, and then a Wet brush on my hair post-wash when it comes out the towel damp. That's all. I don't use these tools that often.

But it's a really personal thing.

Some people love a BBB and swear by it.
    Thank you for sharing your experience

It really depends on your hair, as lapushka mentioned.

My parents and grandma always swore by boar bristle brushes and they were the only brushes in the house. It took my until age 26 to realize that BBB actually made my hair really frizzy and poofy -- a wide tooth comb and/or wood bristle brush (I have a tek brush) when necessary yields much better results and no frizz.

Definitely give a BBB a try but I probably wouldn't invest in an expensive one until after trying it out for a few weeks or months.

Amateur scientist ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    CBL/MBL/CLSC
    Type
    3a/M/iii

I've wanted to give BBB a try but with my curls, I'm not sure if it's work. I suppose my best bet would be to use it after detangling to spread oils throughout my hair.

Starting from scratch

CBL-APL-BSL-MBL-WST-HIP-TBL

Length
    11/31/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

BBB make my hair super silky and smooth. I only use it when I need a sleeked back look or want my hair to look super straight, which isn't often. I worry about damage when using it as I swear I can hear my hair breaking when I brush it. Usually it's just a quick comb when I wash it and then I'm good for the week.

Length
    BSL/128cm/160cm
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

For me, “sleek” looks oily.
    I lightly smooth the top layer after detangling and gentle combing.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Length
    9 in/20 in/30 in
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

I have super fine hair...where is a good place to buy a real or proper BBB? or a good quality name brand if there is even such a thing? (links) i would like to try it out and see what all the fuss is about. my hair is just so baby fine and lots of people say its potentially damaging. That worries me. But i am curious how my hair handles it.

I heard that Kent soft BB brushes are good for fine hair, but I have never tried them

I have very fine; dark blonde; slightly wavy hair that gets frizzy. I like the way the BBB feels on my scalp and my hair does appear shinier when I use it. However I keep it's use to a minimum because I noticed I was getting some hair breakage with it. However I did use a straightening iron at 400 degrees almost every day until almost 2 years ago and my ends are at least 5 years old so they may be more fragile than someone whose ends have never been or rarely heat styled and not Chemically treated. I wish I wasn't having this breakage issue because I really love how the brush feels on my scalp. Maybe once my damaged ends get long enough I can trim most of the damage off eventually and than hopefully I won't have breakage from the brush anymore.

I do use the brush after every time I apply hair oil to my dry hair because I think the BBB does a good job also distributing oils you put on. I love it for this purpose.

Overall I'm glad I tried a BBB and would recommend it to anyone and say that it's worth the cost to try.
    Goal tailbone to classic
    Natural dark blonde
    Fine and Slightly wavy