Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hair "myths"

Length
    SL/WL+/Term
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Default Re: Hair "myths"

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    "Squeaky clean" is a good thing for hair.
    Cutting it frequently will make it grow more.
    I keep on hearing those things too! What I do is ignore them. Because, they are all lies. Of course I like for my hair to be clean by it doesn't have to be "squeaky clean" in order for my have to grow faster, and until I joined here at the LHC in 2010 I've always didn't believe that cutting your hair frequently will make it grow more. That is not true. How can you see or gain any length it you're constantly cutting your hair every 3 or 4 months?

Length
    12 in/40 in/40 in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

My childhood hair myths were pretty much covered here, looks like they're fairly common! Trimming often makes your hair grow stronger, you need to wash everyday (I was lazy and started washing every other day and discovered that my hair was nicer the more I 'forgot' to wash it hahaha), taper means damage, and not my parents but I've heard people believing long hair is so heavy it gives you headaches.
    Oh, I just remembered this one: if you pick out a white hair, 3 more will grow in it's place! I always asked my mom to pick out my early whiteys, I wanted to have grey hair when I was little too bad it didn't work, now I leave my whites alone and they're copper thanks to henna.
    1b ~ M/C ~ iii ~ Dark Brunnette ~ Hennahead ♥
    Goal is Classic Length braids(Achieved!)/FTL(Achieved!) -thickness is a plus-
    Current length: Mid-thigh and growing

Length
    24/38.25/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    I keep on hearing those things too! What I do is ignore them. Because, they are all lies. Of course I like for my hair to be clean by it doesn't have to be "squeaky clean" in order for my have to grow faster, and until I joined here at the LHC in 2010 I've always didn't believe that cutting your hair frequently will make it grow more. That is not true. How can you see or gain any length it you're constantly cutting your hair every 3 or 4 months?
    It turns out I do actually have to trim pretty frequently because my hair is fragile and breaks off, but I *trim*, I don't chop the way a hairdresser would. Goodness, if I had gone to a hairdresser as often as I trim my own hair now, I would have had a pixie! They always took off at least 4 inches at a go.

Type
    1b/M/iii

That my hair will grow faster if I get more frequent trims. Even as a kid I knew that made zero sense.
    Hooray for Aimovig, no more scalp pain! EL - CL - NL - SL - CBL Christmas 2019?

Length
    26.5"/36"/term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

I think that some of these hair myths are true some of the time for some people; the mythology lies in believing that all of them are true all of the time for all people.

Example: "100 strokes/day."

Reality: I go WAY OVER 100 strokes/day, every day! BUT, my hair's noplace near 4c texture, AND I'm not using plastic, AND I'm using a comb instead of a brush, AND I'm being really careful about my comb technique (which I described at https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=149376&page=3 ) ... So, it works for some, but definitely not for everybody.

And I'm really not happy with my hair if it doesn't get squeaky-clean when I wash it. But I concede that different hair types have different needs, & different people honestly are looking for different results, because they like different things.

There really is no one right hair care method for everybody. Maybe the biggest myth of all is thinking otherwise, &/or believing the advertisements.
    1, 2, 3, testing! Trying to figure out how to put a picture here...

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Squeaky clean is good though. BUT only at the roots. Most people do need thorough deep cleansing of the scalp, and it means hair woukd be squeaky there.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones

Length
    12/12/26
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Thin/fine haired scandinavian here; growing up my mother would always convince me that conditioner shouldn't be used because it'll weigh down the hair. And I would wonder why my hair was always so dry and tangly

Yes!! Same here! It just took me way too long to realize the whole “trimming” thing was a myth