Thread: Hello All... My 8 year old is screaming to HELP her grow her curly hair~!!!

Default Hello All... My 8 year old is screaming to HELP her grow her curly hair~!!!

My 8 year old, like me, has really curly, frizzy, about shoulder length hair. I don't really think its damaged, its just dry and frizzy. All other little girls in our family/friends group have their hair grown to mid-back... She is longgingg to grow her curly hair long.

Problem is... I have NO idea where to start. Dont even know what type of hair curl she has, or I have for that matter. My hair no longer really curls as it used to and it's very frizzy.

Any pointers where I should start would be amazing!

(I would have inserted a pic of her hair, but couldn't figure out how to.)

Length
    Ears/Sbl/TL
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Hello All... My 8 year old is screaming to HELP her grow her curly hair~!!!

Did you try checking the hair typing thread? It could be useful and helpful with that

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Hello All... My 8 year old is screaming to HELP her grow her curly hair~!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarieV View Post
    My 8 year old, like me, has really curly, frizzy, about shoulder length hair. I don't really think its damaged, its just dry and frizzy. All other little girls in our family/friends group have their hair grown to mid-back... She is longgingg to grow her curly hair long.

Problem is... I have NO idea where to start. Dont even know what type of hair curl she has, or I have for that matter. My hair no longer really curls as it used to and it's very frizzy.

There's specific threads on this forum to help you insert pictures!

In short, go to a photohosting site, make an account, set everything to private (!), upload your picture there, then link the BBcode into a message here.

Welcome to the forum!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Frizzy dry hair will usually drink up moisture, so use lots of conditioning products. A roo(rinse out oil, lapushka has a link in her siggy) will help lock in moisture as well. Products with silicones will help seal in moisture but alot of people seem to find they stretch out curls a bit too. I agree that getting her hair type figured out and then reading up in her specific curl type thread would help. There is a general "curly and wurly" thread with loads of info too.
    To start I would say moisture moisture moisture and try not to manipulate the curls after washing so they can clump together while drying.

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I have daughters with very curly hair too. I remember having no idea where to start with their hair but identifying your/her hair types, finding a good oil to moisturise/seal and decrease frizz, and learning some protective hairstyles that suit are the first steps.
    It's actually something beautiful to gift your daughter I think, the knowledge of how to care for their hair, many of us haven't learnt it growing up, but it's a a very nurturing act of self-care.

Length
    Pixie/MBL/???

I have curly hair and am in the process of growing it out. I am past Shoulder Length. I read everything I could on Curly Girl method. There are a lot of U-tube videos to watch on how to handle long curly hair.

Basically, I Co-wash. Which means I wash my hair using a conditioner only. I, also, leave in some conditioner after last rinse. Not on my scalp. Just my length. Squish to condish is where you squish the conditioner in while it’s wet.

I always use a t-shirt to plop my hair. And leave it on for at least a half hour or more.

If I do want to brush my hair to make sure the product is distributed evenly, I gently use a comb or a Tangle Teaser.

I don’t use a brush on my hair at all when it’s dry! A brush will disrupt the curl pattern and cause frizz.

In between co-washing to refresh my curls, I have some conditioner in a spray bottle mixed with water. I turn my head upside down and spray my curls.

I also use oil on my ends in between co-washing very gently. Usually in the evening, while relaxing and watching tv.

I do put my hair up most days to protect my curls as well.

I hope some of this helps you with encouraging your daughter’s curls to grow. I hope she learns to love her curls as much as I learned to love mine.
    I’m finally checking the ONE and only item off my bucket list! Longer hair than a pixie! Now I’m creeping to waist and can’t believe it!!! Growing til I retire...and probably after.... 🤗

You and your daughter should do mommy daughter hair masks it’ll be a fun activity and the hair is just begging for moisture. I myself don’t think coconut oil works for me, but it seems to work for others. Coconut oil makes my hair dryer somehow? Lol, anyway, I like to mix any deep conditioner with some olive oil or Argan oil, and keep it in my hair for a couple of hours. I find that putting a conditioner/deep conditioner with an oil moisturizes the hair wayyy better for me. And as a plus it helps it wash out better later. And both braid your hair before bed! just my two cents!

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Yes I have found coconut disagrees with my hair as well. It may not be the best one to start with. A lot of people have good luck with it but quite a few are popping g up who dislike it. It's becoming very hit or miss instead of the best "starter oil" I remember when I starting growing last time years ago.
    Vacurlylady had a lot amazing hints and tips so I will just add a silky pillow case or head cover at night to protect from friction. I know it will be hard with a young child, but maybe just a cheap silky pillow case would be easiest. I have found silky/satin ones at the dollar store and they have been serving me well. No need to but anything fancy. As long as the material is slippy feeling.

Smile Re: Hello All... My 8 year old is screaming to HELP her grow her curly hair~!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarieV View Post

YOU GUYS ROCK!!! Thank you All!