Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Color Swap - Summer Swap 2019! Mail out deadline September 2nd

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Cool The Great Color Swap - Summer Swap 2019! Mail out deadline September 2nd

Welcome to the Great Color Swap, the summer swap of 2019! Join in the gifting fun!

Theme:
    Is there a colour that makes your heart sing? Or maybe even more than just one colour? Then this is the swap for you.
    The Great Colour Swap is all about creating a box of colour-coordinated gifts for your assigned giftee. Find a variety of items in the colour(s) that they like, wrap and decorate them and put them together in a box that is a treat for the eye.
    In return, you will receive a box curated to your colour preferences, lovingly put together by another forum member.
    Can't limit yourself to just one colour? That's alright, you can also work with a colour scheme, like the one I put together above to illustrate the theme of summer.

Dates:
    Matches go out- 23rd June 2019
    Mail out deadline - 2nd September 2019. All boxes must go out by this date!

Who can participate?

You must have been a member here for at least 6 months with over 100 posts
    OR
    Have participated in a swap before
    OR
    Have an established member (400 posts/member for 2 years) vouch for you. If you fail to fulfil your swap box, the member who vouched for you will be the angel gifter for your giftee.

To sign up:
    Please email me the following information at HailwidisLHC @ yahoo.com (remove the spaces before and after the “@”). Mark the subject as "LHC Color Swap - [your username here]”

• LHC username
    • Your real name and surname
    • Your address
    • Shipping preferences (in your country, internationally etc.) - I will try to accommodate requests where possible but cannot guarantee this
    • Presence of allergens in your house (smoke, pets etc.)
    • Your allergies
    • Mailbox situation (delivered directly to your house, or do you have to make a special trip to pick it up? Or something else?)
    • Optional: Your previous swap partners, anyone in particular you would wish to gift to, anyone in particular you would not wish to be matched with. I will do my best to accommodate, but again, no guarantees. Wishes for a specific gifter will be ignored.

Swap rules:

• You must post an "About me" post in this thread shortly after signing up (more details below).
    • You must send a package to your giftee which must be shipped by the deadline (September 2nd 2019). Proof of shipping in the form of a tracking number or receipt picture should be emailed by the deadline to HailwidisLHC @ yahoo.com (remove the spaces before and after the “@”).
    • Package minimum value is $40 excluding shipping. You are welcome to spend more if you wish, but don't expect your gifter to spend over the minimum on you. The $40 is equivalent value. You are welcome to rehome like new hair toys and make things as well, just as long as the package has a value of at least $40 even if you don't necessarily spend those $40 outright.
    • The package must include at least one hair-related item. This being a hair forum and all. See more gift guidelines below.
    • You are required to post a reveal in this thread detailing the package contents that must include photos.

Note: I understand life happens. If there are extenuating circumstances that arise after you sign up that impede your ability to ship by the deadline, contact me on the swap e-mail before the deadline. I'll help you figure things out.

If you do not ship by the deadline and do not contact me by the deadline to explain your situation you will receive a negative itrader rating and I will not admit you to any future swaps I might organise.

Gift guidelines:

• 4 items required, of which at least 1 must be a hair-related item (sticks, forks, pins, clips, parandas, headscarves, shampoo bars, salves, oil blends, hair tea, you name it).
    • A pair or set of something (hair sticks, spin pins, etc.) counts as one item.
    • Edibles don’t count as an item, but are generally very appreciated so feel free to include as many as you wish.
    • Items can be new, second hand or homemade, as long as the total value of the gifts meets the rules (40$ minimum). What matters most is you spend time picking out items you think your giftee will love.
    • Items should follow the colour scheme indicated by your giftee in their "About me" post as much as is feasible. Neutral materials like woods and metals are of course allowed; but accent colours and box decoration (wrapping paper) should match the colour(s) picked by your giftee closely. Try and make your box as colour-coordinated as possible for spectacular reveal photos! If you are giving (hair) products such as salves, teas, shampoos, or books etc., it is understandable that these items not match a colour theme. Just focus your creative attention on the other items you prepare.

About me posts should include:

• A colour scheme made on Coolors. Instructions in the post below.
    • Allllll the info about hairtoys you use (material, length, colours, waterproof or not)
    • Also tell us what hairtoys you don’t use!
    • Head circumference and bun diameter
    • Favourites makers
    • Likes and Dislikes - be as specific as you'd like including animals, books, TV shows, hobbies, colours, patterns, music etc.
    • Clothes size and if clothes are something you would like to receive
    • Jewellery preferences (metals…)
    • Any allergies (don’t forget food allergies) or preferences
    • A link to your Etsy favourites list if you have one
    • Any other information that could be helpful to your gifter.

Start of the swap:
    We tend to kick swaps off by asking questions to the whole thread. This is a good way to narrow down and confirm your gift ideas. But the usual flood of questions can be a bit overwhelming for some. You are more than welcome to email me on the swap e-mail and I’ll ask your giftee anything specific you need to know. (You might even get an answer faster this way!) Previous swaps also come in handy for info, as a lot of the same questions tend to be asked over and over. Do some detective work and find out whether your giftee took part in other swaps, what they received, and what they answered to questions asked back then.

That said, I do encourage you all to use this thread as much as possible! Chat, share cryptic updates, rant about holiday stress or tempt us with photos of your whereabouts, we’re all here to have a good time together this summer. This swap shouldn’t be a chore or a competition but a nice breather for us all. Happy gifting!

Disclaimers:

• This is my first time ever hosting a swap. This post might be updated (I will inform the thread if I make significant updates). Please be patient with me! I hope we all have a great swap!
    • I will assign myself a gifter at random or place myself in the match circle last. I am not doing this for my own gain in any way.
    • Privacy: I will delete all your sign-up e-mails and other e-mails/files containing your addresses at the end of the swap, when everyone has received their box. I will not hold on to any of your personal data.
    Last edited by Hailwidis; June 21st, 2019 at 10:56 AM.
    Hosting the Great Color Swap of Summer 2019!

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: The Great Color Swap - Summer Swap 2019! Sign-up deadline June 21st

Coolors instructions:
    To create a colour scheme to add to the top of you “About me” post, follow these steps.
    • Go to the Coolors website.
    • If this is the first time you visit the website, it will offer you a short tutorial. Follow it.
    • Press the space bar on your keyboard a few times to see examples of colour schemes.
    • Start building your own. Click the colour box on the left, then click on the “Adjust” button (the slider icon). Slide the sliders until you find a colour you like.
    • If you only want to give your gifter 1 colour as a guideline, copy-paste the code into all other colour boxes.
    • If you want to give your gifter more colours to work with, create a colour scheme of up to five colours by adjusting the sliders in the other boxes in the same way. Please choose up to 3 different colours maximum (for example, pink and green) and then fill the remaining boxes with different shades of those colours (example of what I mean here).
    • When you are happy with your colour block or scheme click “Export” in the top right menu, then select “PNG”. Copy the link to the image that is opened in a new tab.
    • In your “About me” post, click “Insert image” in the post editor and paste in this link.

If for any reason you struggle to work with the website drop me an e-mail on the swap address and I will help you create your colour scheme.
    Last edited by Hailwidis; June 8th, 2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Added link

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Participant list:

Alexandrina - About me
    BerrySara - About me
    blesseddamozel - About me
    dancingfrog - About me
    DweamGoiL - About me
    Entangled - About me
    GrowlingCupcake - About me
    Hailwidis - About me
    Hele - About me
    Jas - About me
    KameRose - About me
    ladycaladium - About me
    languagenut - About me
    neko_kawaii - About me
    Nightshade - About me
    pathetic - About me
    physicschick - About me
    PrincessBob - About me
    Last edited by Hailwidis; June 25th, 2019 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Updating participant list

Length
    28"/34"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

This looks like it's going to be a wonderful swap! I'll have to think about it, but hopefully I can join.
    .................................................. ....................
    ................................ ......................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Yay, I'm glad you like the idea, Spikey! Take all the time you need to think about it, there's almost two weeks to go before sign-up deadline.

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Just as an FYI - This profile has been reworked for several swaps so it has a LOT of information.

Q&A's for thread can be found here.

About Me [Updated 06/08/19]

Favorite Colors - Teal and sea greens (anything in between those 2 is also much appreciated). See customized color swatches below:

Favorite Etsy Shop/Online Seller/Store - Hmmm...this kind of changes every now and again, but right now, I would have to say 60th Street - I am trying to catch a 3 prong fork in Desert Camo, Barnwood, or Tortoise.

Favorite Book/Movie/TV Show - Book - Phantom by Susan Kay, Movie - too many to mention, TV Shows - 9-1-1, Law and Order SVU, Buried in the Backyard, Snapped, Real Stories of the ER, Josh Gates' Destination Truth, Legendary Locations, singing competitions like The Voice and The Four, decorating shows like Love It or List It!, cooking competitions like Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef, Gotham, Dead Files, and The Walking Dead. Book-wise you can't go wrong with a vampire novel (please NOT the Twilight series) or true crime. I love historical true crime theories like Ripper-ology or theories on assassinations of pharaohs/king/queens and documentary novels on serial killers.

Favorite Animal - Large wild cats, owls, and sea creatures.

Favorite Hobby or Pastime - I like crafting things, drawing, and writing. I enjoy some light woodworking (code words for making hairtoys).

3 or More Dream Items: (listed in order of preference)

1) https://www.grahtoestudio.com/produc...ork-grahtoe-st (no bubble, please!)

2) https://www.etsy.com/listing/6427301...d_out_detail=1

3) https://www.etsy.com/listing/5535173...-shop-header-1 (because we Latins love coffee)

Preferred functional length of sticks/forks/carrots/unicorn and narwhal horns/magical swords, etc
    Preferred length for sticks 6” - 6.5” – forks no more than 6” total, fpl 4.5”

Bun diameter – about 4.25”

Hair Type – 2a / f-m / ii. It’s now about 37.5” long and BCL

Any allergies
    I am allergic to paprika, finned fatty fish, and some peppers. I have metal sensitivities as well so no earrings for me, please.

Likes and Dislikes
    I like blues, greens, teal, and ocean colors are my absolute faves! I dislike orange, pink, and purple. I also like some of the deeper shades of red, but I tend not to wear these as often. Did I mention I LOVE Teal? Because I LOVE Teal

I like acrylic toys, but it’s not a necessity. I have my fair share and have become more picky about colors since there is only so much storage space. I still prefer all the variations of blue and green hues with some level of transparency (water, mist, and crystallized versions), but don’t particularly like mesh or flake patterns. I am more in the market for forks rather than sticks, but really...either is fine. I don't have a problem adding to the horde.

I LOVE wooden toys as well and would prefer forks at this point (particularly with pretty stones in them or you can send me a pretty stone on the side and I’ll make sure it gets where it needs to go) or a really interesting stick. I don’t tend to wear pairs anymore. I do love interesting grain in wood and because I have very dark hair light colored woods are fair game as well. They produce a more dramatic high contrast effect against my hair.

I love chatoyant and interesting patterned natural stones. Among my favorites are seraphinite, labradorite, black onyx, hematite, malachite, chrysocolla, lapis lazuli, moss agate, azurite, pietersite (the blues, the swirls, the deep ruddy tones…oh, my!), larimar, amber with inclusions, indicolite, tanzanite, aquamarine, rainbow moonstone, red goldstone, and dragon vein agates.

Favorite Woods – holly, spalted anything, walnut, dyed burled wood, koa, ebony, blackwood, snakewood, olivewood, anything with cool grain, lacewood, zebrawood, cherry, satinwood, morado, cocobolo, rosewood, and maple; not keen on dymondwood, and no ruddy woods, please.

I like vintage hairtoys and geisha style combs, and kogai.

I like brass hairtoys, silver, and some copper, but copper kind of tends to disappear in my hair. My hair is super slippy and can pretty much get out of anything so I have limited metal toys because of this.

I also like bone and antler, but I am pretty picky about it. Some of the carved pieces are just not my aesthetic.

I like sea creature themed hairtoys, but not crazy big, and anything ancient Egyptian themed. I love hieroglyphs, cartouches, jackals, ankhs, pyramids, Anubis, Horus, Bastet, etc. In a previous swap, I received a book about the dissection, preservation, and forensics on mummies, and it has become one of my favorite books. In a previous swap, my giftee got me into the Amelia Peabody books. I only read the first one Crocodile on the Sandbank, but it was sooo good.

I like hair oil infusions that smell flowery and pretty, citrusy, or oceany. I like lighter oils like grapeseed, monoi, argan, and jojoba. I like pure shea butter, coconut oil, or mango butter to make winter concoctions.

I like floral scents, particularly with freesia and/or plumeria. I like fruity scents and citrus. I also like clean and crisp scents with a bit of musk (think sea inspired concoctions). I think Vanilla smells wonderful on other people, but not on me.

I don’t wear makeup (just lipstick occasionally), but I LOVE The Body Shop skin care (Vitamin C or Vitamin E lines). Actually, I love pretty much everything from them except makeup since I don’t wear it. I love their glycerin soap bars, lip balms, body butters (Moringa, Mango, Satsuma, Strawberry, ok, I love all of them!)

In a previous swap, I received some wonderful hand-made colored lip balms. I tend to land in the burgundy, deep dark fuschia, and brown color range since my skin tone leans more towards olive than anything else. I prefer ones that are moisturizing over powdery/chalky in texture.

I like white and green tea, but right now, I am good on tea. I LOVE chocolate and nuts (not peanut butter. I mean, I like peanut butter, but not in chocolate), chocolate with caramel and/or berries, and sea salt (not mint though). I like all kinds of chocolate; dark, white, milk, etc. Belgian chocolate is my favorite, closely followed by Italian, but I also adore British Cadbury.

Favorite animals – owls, large cats (leopards, tigers, lions, lynxes, etc.), wolves, koalas, ravens, bats, foxes, lemurs, octopuses, crabs, sea turtles and sea horses, and whales.

I dislike religious symbols and sayings, and don’t care for a lot of the fantasy realm themed objects (like faeries, elves, angels, etc.). I am not really into fandoms although I love vampire fiction and true crime, but not Twilight think more Ann Rice vampires. I do like Dragons and dragon-scaled accessories. Definitely not into sci-fi.

I don’t wear cutesy. I tend to go for more classic looks and stuff that can be worn in a business office setting. I also don’t like animal print clothing and accessories.

I dislike silicones, and stuff that builds up on the hair. I also don’t use shampoos with sulfates or shampoo bars, but tend to use light conditioners that don’t weigh down the hair.

I also wanted to mention that although I treasure all of the beautifully crafted and purchased items I receive through these swaps, sometimes they do not work on my hair. If this is the case, I may offer them on the RAOK Thread. If one of your creations or purchases makes it to this thread as a gift for a newbie, please know this is my way to find it another loving home with someone, who will continue to love it as much as I loved receiving it.

Head circumference, clothing sizing, jewelry preferences?
    Head circumference was 23” last time I measured. I am an XL in tops and am always in the market for a cool T-Shirt to sleep in. I am not a big jewelry person anymore, but I like bracelets (I can wear 7” bracelets) and some necklaces with pretty pendants.

Preference of Waterproof finish or if it even matters to you
    I have a fair array of both so either is fine with me

Etsy favorites list
    https://www.etsy.com/people/dweamgoi...f=favs_index_1

List of things you make/craft
    I can knit simple things like scarfs and make teddy bears, carve rustic hairsticks with stone toppers and make other wooden hairtoys. I dabble in beading. I usually pick up skills for swaps. I have done some kanzashi flowers in the past. Oh, I can also make picture tiles…almost forgot about that. I am also pretty good at setting stones in wood, and now, new thing is making beaded bracelets (think meditation/protection bracelets with natural stones).

If you plan to make me anything, I’d love some decorated black spin pins. I have a very limited supply of these and would love more because the hold is awesome!
    Last edited by DweamGoiL; June 25th, 2019 at 10:37 AM.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

That's a truly gorgeous colourscheme Dweam! I am very drawn to those colours too.

I'm looking forward to seeing more people's colour choices!

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Just making sure, black counts as a color for the purposes of this swap, right?
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Yes it does I should have specified. As does white. I didn't think to get technical, but I mean colour in the broad, layman's sense of the word.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Ninja View Post
    Just making sure, black counts as a color for the purposes of this swap, right?
    hahahhahaa I came here to ask this exact question