Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actually moisturized or just coated?

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Actually moisturized or just coated?

My length has past dye damage and I live in a very dry climate, so my hair tends to lose a lot of moisture between washes.

I refresh my hair between washes with a leave in cream or spray with cones and some oil once a day, and it feels great, but is there a way to know if I’m actually nourishing my hair or if it’s shiny just because it’s coated with cones and oil? And if so, do you think it’s also a way of protecting it anyway of is it counterproductive/deceiving?

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Actually moisturized or just coated?

Hmmm... usually the ends of my hair tell me the truth. If they feel smooth but also kinda roughish under my fingers... like I can easily slide a strand between fingers with no snagging, but you can feel that although the strand is fairly smooth, it has this rough, grabby quality to it...

Like if you had dry ends and oiled them! They would be slick but you would still feel the dryness underneath the oil.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I personally can't really "hide" the condition of my hair. I can improve it, but if it's bad, it's going to feel bad no matter what I put on it. If my hair is properly moisturized, I can tell, regardless of silicones or lack thereof. It's like, they add slip, yes, but the hair is still for a large part what it is.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Yes, the part about feeling the real texture underneath makes sense to me now that you guys mention it. I remember when my ends were terrible and one way to know it was looking at them on the mirror with a good lighting, you could see white-ish dots at the ends and although slippery they were stiff and rough.

Length
    APL/??/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

I also live in a super dry climate, and my hair isn’t dyed (well, it’s had multiple henna applications tbh) but it’s quite porous and doesn’t like to hold moisture. It may be different for you, but my experience is that coating the hair to protect it is helpful and even important. However, if it gets too dry beneath the coating I can still have breakage. Things that soften, like shea butter and olive oil, seem to help minimize breakage due to dryness by keeping my hair from getting too brittle when it dries out. I’d still recommend misting with water and regular clarifying. Cutting out certain humectants helped a lot too, as in very dry weather they can actually pull moisture out of your hair; I can’t use any leave ins containing glycerin or they exacerbate dryness.

Hope that helps
    Classic stretched, bcl to tbl most days otherwise.
    Unruly mix of 3s.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Silicones "coat" the hair, just as oils or butters and waxes "coat" the hair. One isn't better than the other... necessarily.

I think moisture needs to come from your washes, and from conditioning well. I put stylers on after washing but it seals in what I have put effort in putting into it during my wash. If that makes sense?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Jenn I’m not sure about having used products with glycerin or not now that you name it! I’ll definitely check out, as our hair seems to behave quite similar.

Masques with shea butter work very good for me as well, and oils keep my ends flexible so yes that’s a bonus to prevent breakage I guess I’m still figuring out my clarifying schedule though, right now I only do it when I feel my hair is quite “meh”, but maybe I shouldn’t wait that long.

Lapushka yes it definitely makes a lot of sense! After a DT I find that using a good oil on damp hair helps a lot maximizing the results of the treatment.

If I overdo, though, it becomes instantly Velcro and dull when dry, defeating all the purpose of washing + conditioner so I have to be really careful with the products AND the amount I use. I should remember sometimes less is more haha but it’s hard.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TreesOfEternity View Post
    Lapushka yes it definitely makes a lot of sense! After a DT I find that using a good oil on damp hair helps a lot maximizing the results of the treatment.

If I overdo, though, it becomes instantly Velcro and dull when dry, defeating all the purpose of washing + conditioner so I have to be really careful with the products AND the amount I use. I should remember sometimes less is more haha but it’s hard.
    I am definitely heavy-handed when it comes to moisture, but my lengths are sooo dry compared to my scalp. They need it.

If your hair is more moisturized on its own, or not as dry, yes, definitely watch out how much you use. LOL. I totally get it, though!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Silicones "coat" the hair, just as oils or butters and waxes "coat" the hair. One isn't better than the other... necessarily.

I think moisture needs to come from your washes, and from conditioning well. I put stylers on after washing but it seals in what I have put effort in putting into it during my wash. If that makes sense?
    Not necessarily! Some oils and butters are proven to actually condition and sink into the hair strand. While I don't disagree that washing the hair is important, to start fresh, remove built up product that is preventing other moisture from getting in, the difference between oils and silicones can be helpful in deciding what products to use in between washes.

Here is the reference I use for oils that are proven to penetrate the hair strand and moisturize:

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...coat-hair.html

My experience meshes with JennGalt, leave-ins with glycerin are a huge no for me. For the oils, like many people coconut oil at room temperature does not seem to absorb, so I skip that one and only use with heat for pre-shampoo. My favorites are sunflower oil and shea butter - now I know shea butter may be too heavy for straighter hair types, but dabbed between the palms and patted onto the ends seems to work for some people. I find olive oil too heavy but like extra light EVOO in small amounts.
    Last edited by blackgothicdoll; May 16th, 2019 at 04:02 PM.
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Wow sunflower oil?? I would have never guessed! Here we see it as a very “second class” oil, so that idea always made me think it wouldn’t be that good for my hair, but I am so going to try it tomorrow!

When I have more free time I’d like to make some kind of diy hair salve with Shea butter, so it’s more suited for my texture than just plain Shea.