Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Actually moisturized or just coated?

Length
    APL/HL+/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Actually moisturized or just coated?

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Silicones "coat" the hair, just as oils or butters and waxes "coat" the hair. One isn't better than the other... necessarily.

I think moisture needs to come from your washes, and from conditioning well. I put stylers on after washing but it seals in what I have put effort in putting into it during my wash. If that makes sense?
    Moisture absolutely should come from washes, but if you’re in a hot, dry place with single digit humidity and central air conditioning everywhere you go, you’re probably going to need to add moisture between washes as well. I’ve noticed everyone with hair longer than a couple cm has dry ends where I live. Misting and sealing between washes is a must for naturally dry long hair in a desert, IME.

TreesOfEternity, you may want to keep track of how your hair behaves with different humectants. Mine likes film forming humectants like AVJ and flaxseed gel as moisturizers most of the time, but can’t handle glycerin unless the humidity shoots up above 60% as it does on stormy days. Film forming humectants can actually help seal in moisture by forming a coating of their own. I only had a problem with aloe during one week when the humidity plummeted to almost nothing, the temperature was around 40 C, and the dew point was hovering around -12 C. Misting with water and sealing with JBCO saved my hair that week!

Also note that you may need heavier occlusives like cones or castor oil or shea butter if it’s really super dry. For me, olive oil isn’t quite up to the task of sealing in moisture in extremely dry conditions, and sometimes I skip it and reach for the JBCO instead or blend the two. I don’t worry about how my hair looks on those days, because the curls are going to flatten out anyway and it’s wiser to simply focus on preventing breakage at that point and keep my hair in a bun. If your hair is acting up, check the weather reports, pay attention to what’s in your products and sealing stuffs, and clarify if you need to. It may take a bit to learn your hair’s preferences, but it’s well worth it.

Here’s a link you may find helpful Everyone's hair is a little different, but these guidelines might help you figure out the connection between weather and product ingredients. And humectants in your rinse out products should be ok as long as you rinse well, so don’t worry about those.

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...nts-humectants

There’s also a thread floating around somewhere about how desert longhairs retain moisture. I’d look for it, but I need to go get ready for work. Might be helpful.
    Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind.
    BCL unruly mixture of 3s. TBL stretched.
    My progress pix on imgur

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I never had to add moisture in between washes, so that is totally alien to me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/HL+/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Never?! I’m jealous I’m happy if I can skip a day of remoisturizing once in a while, lol.
    Last edited by JennGalt; May 16th, 2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Wrong emoji. Twice. Can’t type or something.
    Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind.
    BCL unruly mixture of 3s. TBL stretched.
    My progress pix on imgur

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TreesOfEternity View Post
    Wow sunflower oil?? I would have never guessed! Here we see it as a very “second class” oil, so that idea always made me think it wouldn’t be that good for my hair, but I am so going to try it tomorrow!

When I have more free time I’d like to make some kind of diy hair salve with Shea butter, so it’s more suited for my texture than just plain Shea.
    I should have mentioned, I use white shea butter and cut with sunflower oil 50/50. My hair doesn't like anything too heavy so I can't use it straight out, and definitely no yellow shea (but my skin loves it!) So perhaps for you, a higher oil to shea ratio would work.

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/33in/Thigh
    Type
    3c/4a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TreesOfEternity View Post
    Wow sunflower oil?? I would have never guessed! Here we see it as a very “second class” oil, so that idea always made me think it wouldn’t be that good for my hair, but I am so going to try it tomorrow!

When I have more free time I’d like to make some kind of diy hair salve with Shea butter, so it’s more suited for my texture than just plain Shea.
    There’s also:

Shea Nilotica
    MuruMuru Butter
    Cupuaçu Butter
    Mango Butter
    Mafura Butter
    Kokum Butter
    Cocoa Butter

Of all that I listed MuruMuru Butter and Cupuaçu butter have the lowest melting points. You don’t even need to cut them with an oil, they will turn into a bit of an oil state just by the heat of your hands. They go on the lightest, and don’t weight your hair down.

If you’re interested.
    "What a tragedy it will it be, to get to Heaven and realize that God was not the slightest bit against you, but 100% for you.” Rouge Wanderer. Enforcer of Justice of the Long Haired Knights. EL~NL~SL~APL~BS~MBL~WL~HPL~BCL~TBL~Classic

Length
    None/HL/FL
    Type
    3c/C/iii

For me, when my hair is truly moisturized, it will feel soft. If it isn’t and I just apply product on top, it will get a greasy feel to it while also feeling crunchy or crispy underneath the coating of oil.