Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair and glasses - need advice.

Length
    15/28/34
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair and glasses - need advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wusel View Post
    Thank you My mum just told me that she had quite a lot of damage when she was young and had long hair and wore glasses but she said that back then, in the 60s-70s the glasses weren't the quality they are now and she had no money for the better quality ones and she believes that it won't be as bad as it was for her. She said she practically had layers in the front caused by breakage from the glasses. Hope my frames are good quality.
    So my DD with hip length hair has been in glasses for 4 years and wears her hair down almost exclusively. She's 11 and unless she's been really outside playing hard (think hair flipping every which way) in which case it's a tangled mess anyways, she experiences VERY little breakage from her glasses, and she's currently wearing $30 frames from WalMart. So not very expensive etc.

I think the question to be would be if they're plastic frames or metal ones, I personally have found I have a much worse time with metal frames than plastic ones, because the hinge is frequently more exposed. However, as everyone has said, glasses have definitely changed a lot in the past 60 years, so I wouldn't be super concerned unless you get them and see that there' s problem!

Good luck and I hope that the correction helps with your constant headaches!!!

Shoulder~APL~BSL
    ~Waist - Onward to Hip?!

Length
    2/22?/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Firstly screw other peoples opinions! Most people say without really even thinking any way - wear glasses / don't wear glasses - it will have very little effect on their life which you chose and they dont realy care - so chose what is best for you.
    Secondly if you feel comfortable wearing sun glasses, you just need to think of normal glasses as an extension of these - get some way cool exciting /funky fashionable shaped ones that you like. They probably do suit you really you're just not used to seeing yourself with them on!

I wear glasses all the time (occasionally wear contacts if Im going out out / or doing something very active - but they tend to dry my eyes out if I wear em too long)
    1 I just accepted the fact that I have a few small whispy mini hairs - where they always catch in the glasses hinge - but your not gonna go bald from it!
    2 if you're wearing glasses all the time you do become slightly more aware of the fact they can get caught and so you start to take them off more carefully without even thinking about it.
    3 glue em permanently open? with enough glue to fill in the gap & cover the hinge. impracticle for storage and you might forget that youve done it & snap em closed - but it might stop your hair from catching.
    Hair tomorrow, hair yesterday, but never hair today!

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I wear glasses all the time. My nearsightedness requires it. Anyway I don't have any trouble with hair getting caught in my all plastic frames, and my hair spends some of every day down. Also I'm sure you'll look lovely with your new glasses, people just don't like change.

APL ~
    BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~TBL? ~ Classic????
    Hennahead~Type 1c/M/ii/iii
    No Trim first half 2019 ~ Waist by Christmas 2019

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

As was said above, plastic frames are much gentler to hair than metal frames and simple frames without decorative bits are also gentler. You learn with practice how to keep your hair away from the henges and how to rescue hairs that get caught.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Most people resist change. Your friends probably responded badly, not because the frames were unbecoming, but because you looked different.

I'm going to be blunt. Glasses are a medical device. What helps me is accepting that I "need" them and "have to" wear them.

I don't take them on and off constantly, i put them in in the morning and usually leave them on all day.

But if I have to wear them I want something expressive.

Embrace them.

Glasses can also be a great accessory. And none of mine catch in my hair in any meaningful way, though I've had the arms catch in a few updos from time to time.I

Unless they're rough and badly manufactured, which is unlikely, it's just a non-issue.

Length
    19/30/37
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I love wearing my glasses with my hair, either up or down. I have glasses that I wear to protect my eyes from light( imagine Spiderman, but not as cool or ripped) They are half frames, and a dark rose gold/burgundy color. They are just a few shades darker than my hair and they work awesome. They don't damage my hair at all, and work well with both my hair up or down. I do tend to wear my hair usually up, and I think my glasses make me look so pretty. I do get told I look like a young teacher, but I find that a compliment.
    I got my frames from Costco.
    feminine, nice, cold as ice

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Wusel View Post
    SO, finally I'm getting glasses in 2 weeks.
    I went to the optitian with my prescription yesterday to order them.
    Not because I can't see properly but because my astigmatism on both eyes has to be corrected to stop constant headaches.
    It took me 7 months to find the right frames which suit my face and now I have found some which I really love and I find they look cute on me.
    Even though most people told me to get contacts because they find I look bad with glasses (I have posted different photos of me with different frames on Facebook and sent pictures to people and nothing was good. It was always either making fun of me or: 'Forget it, get contacts, looks terrible'. and: 'Wanna lose all your subscribers on YouTube? Get these'
    So, I'm not sure what people will say, I didn't show the ones I'm getting to anyone so that nobody can talk me out of them. Like with all the other ones I liked.

Anyway, what I would like to know from you is, how do you deal with hair down and glasses?
    Because I want to wear them all the time and when I wear my sunglasses daily in the summer I always get some breakage in the front from taking them down, ripping hair out... Because single hairs get stuck in the hinge. So, I'm a bit worried that the same will happen with the glasses.
    How does that go for you? Is it a problem? Do you wear your hair down only when you don't have glasses on? Is there something I should know?
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk View Post
    Most people resist change. Your friends probably responded badly, not because the frames were unbecoming, but because you looked different.

I'm going to be blunt. Glasses are a medical device. What helps me is accepting that I "need" them and "have to" wear them.

I don't take them on and off constantly, i put them in in the morning and usually leave them on all day.

But if I have to wear them I want something expressive.

Embrace them.

Glasses can also be a great accessory. And none of mine catch in my hair in any meaningful way, though I've had the arms catch in a few updos from time to time.I

Unless they're rough and badly manufactured, which is unlikely, it's just a non-issue.
    Glasses are by far the most 'socially acceptable' medical device; if people react badly to them then goodness knows how offended they'd be if anything happened to them or someone they loved, resulting in needing a hearing aid, a walker, a brace, a wheelchair, a catheter, a feeding tube, or an ostomy, etc Honestly Wusel I would advise you to simply ignore them because those comments are actually disgusting and hint at underlying, festering ableism. I'm absolutely astounded people can be so rude and unkind to make such horrible comments about something that will really help you! And ultimately, that's the important thing - the glasses will (hopefully!) help you and make your life better. Shame on people who make nasty comments about them.

As for the hair, I wear mine up all the time but I do have lots of wispy hairs around my hairline that are shorter and more fragile. I cannot recall the last time I caught any hair in my glasses, which are metal. I've had mixed metal and plastic frames and all-metal, and never had any problems with hair.

Actually, re-reading your post I see you do have problems with hair getting stuck in sunglasses hinges; I don't know what to suggest. As cjk says though, wearing glasses all the time means putting them on and taking them off just once a day (unless you swap for sunglasses, or take them off to have a nap or something) which minimises potential for breakage from taking them off. Maybe your everyday glasses might be higher quality or a different style or size of hinge ... Not sure.

Anyway, I hope some of that made some kind of sense, despite the rant to start with
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! Tiny trim and now onto Calf!
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair - phew

I have seriously been trying to come up with an invention to keep hair out of glasses frames, but no joy yet. If anyone else invents something I will gladly buy it! (I liked OhSuzi's advice of keeping them permanently open).

As for the glasses themselves, mine look just like Garth's from Wayne's World. Og forbid they quit making that style because it's the only one that feels right to me.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/ECPtmAxzTwUU5jax7

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I wear glasses occasionally. I always wear my hair up and rarely get hair caught in them. Occasionally my wispies will get caught in the hinges and then I just carefully pull it out. If it breaks when I'm pulling it out its not that big of a deal to me, but if the broken end looks damaged and I notice I will sometimes cut off the end.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
    I have seriously been trying to come up with an invention
    No need. Get hingeless frames. Easily available in both metal and plastic.