Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you keep your hair moisturised between washes?

Length
    24”/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: How do you keep your hair moisturised between washes?

I wet the ends and then put oil over them, just a very small amount. Or I oil the ends while it is damp after a wash. For years I’d do that oiling on dry hair and it never clicked to oil my hair while it was damp until someone on here suggested it!
    APL - BSL - *MBL* - WL - HL - TBL
    Last trim: 12th March 2021
    Pantene fanatic, sulphate and silicone lover

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Have you tried using Lapushka's ROO (Rinse Out Oil method?) It's in her signature if you want to take a look at what to do.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Would it help to thoroughly brush your scalp oil down into your hair at the end of day 1? At least your roots might look better in the morning.

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I developed a routine that helps my hair retain moisture for 3 days (I wash every third day).

It included going back from low shampoo to full-on sulfate galore. About 70% of my dryness was caused by product buildup and hard water buildup, trying to oil my hair more and do more DTs only exacerbated the issue. Also I started to use silicones, because nothing beats moisture loss like a silicone barrier. I know that too much silicone can cause dryness too, that's why I'm super picky when it comes to coney products.

Also updos help a lot. My porous ends can't lose moisture if they're tucked into a bun

And yes, my hair is medium to high porosity and absolutely adores protein. So idk how helpful my advice is here.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHealthy View Post
    I wet the ends and then put oil over them, just a very small amount. Or I oil the ends while it is damp after a wash. For years I’d do that oiling on dry hair and it never clicked to oil my hair while it was damp until someone on here suggested it!
    How could I forget wet oiling! It's very helpful too! Still on me it didn't quite work until sulfates and cones came into my life, but it might help the OP.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I developed a routine that helps my hair retain moisture for 3 days (I wash every third day).

It included going back from low shampoo to full-on sulfate galore. About 70% of my dryness was caused by product buildup and hard water buildup, trying to oil my hair more and do more DTs only exacerbated the issue. Also I started to use silicones, because nothing beats moisture loss like a silicone barrier. I know that too much silicone can cause dryness too, that's why I'm super picky when it comes to coney products.

Also updos help a lot. My porous ends can't lose moisture if they're tucked into a bun

And yes, my hair is medium to high porosity and absolutely adores protein. So idk how helpful my advice is here.
    Good point. I do the same. I put my hair up in a twist with ends twisted under the rest of the hair when damp and oiled. Like this there's no way for the moisture to get out. I have low porosity hair though. But it still is dry and needs moisture.
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

LOC (liquid/oil/cream) could be a good one to lock in the moisture and tucking in your ends in a bun really makes a difference (for me). I agree with the comments above.

Length
    APL/TBL/Long
    Type
    2a/M/iii

What works for me is using biolage ultra hydration conditioner as a leave in. I use a tiny, tiny bit and squish it on my ends and my hair is really moisturized until next wash day

I also use sulfates to wash to remove build up which seems to have helped a ton.
    currently approaching tbl

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Sometimes between washes, I will wet my ponytail in the sink, condition, and rinse again in the sink. It’s pretty quick, and I don’t get all wet which is nice.
    Current length: Knee+ at 56"! Next milestone is my final goal length: Upper Calf at 57-58"!
    Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length at 28" since 2016

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

It may be a texture thing but for me, C-W-ROO-C works to keep my ends happy for about a week, sometimes longer. I've taken to putting on the first C about an hour or so before getting in the shower so it's kind of a deep treatment as well.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness