Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your hair moisturised between washes?

Default How do you keep your hair moisturised between washes?

For the past few years I've been washing my hair every other day. To be honest I should probably go back to washing it every day because my hair is so oily, but I like having the extra time on non-wash nights.

My problem is that while my hair is all silky and smooth, easy to brush the morning after I've washed my hair, the next day it's an absolute nightmare. It's very oily at the roots and dry and tangled at the ends. It's so hard to brush through my hair on the second day. And it looks awful!

For those of you who go days between washes I find it amazing but how do you counter the dry ends? My hair eats moisture like no tomorrow. It seems there is no end to how much moisture it requires. It doesn't take in moisture unless it's wet though, so I haven't found a product that works to keep my hair moisturised between washes.

In case you are wondering I use gentle shampoos with no sulfates and use a deep conditioner most washes, followed by an oil. My hair absolutely hates protein and would probably be happy to go years without it!
    Forever in a cycle of growing and cutting

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: How do you keep your hair moisturised between washes?

Do you seal with a bit of oil after your moisturize? Or a serum with cones, if you aren't opposed to those, both mainly towards the ends to lock in the moisture?
    [ SL | CBL | APL | BSL | WL | HL ]

Length
    shldr/clsc/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

When's the last time you clarified?
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The orange cat in my avatar

Length
    BSL/MBL/CL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My ends get dry and rough-feeling a few days after washing sometimes. If I do a pre-wash oiling and CWC, it takes away the dryness effectively.

Also, what do you do with your hair overnight? If I leave it loose it will get dry and tangly at the ends very quickly. As long as I keep it bunned, the ends stay moisturized and silky.

Edit: It's probably relevant that I use sulfate shampoo and silicone conditioner.
    Last edited by Haven; May 15th, 2019 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    When's the last time you clarified?
    Hmm it's been a while but I haven't found this to change my issue with dryness on the second day.

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    Do you seal with a bit of oil after your moisturize? Or a serum with cones, if you aren't opposed to those, both mainly towards the ends to lock in the moisture?
    I do a deep conditioning treatment, leave it in for a while and then rinse out thoroughly, followed by oil while my hair is still damp. I've seen a lot of haircare routines where people moisturise and seal but I think that would be too heavy for my medium strand/2a hair. I haven't tried a serum with cones though, that sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    My ends get dry and rough-feeling a few days after washing sometimes. If I do a pre-wash oiling and CWC, it takes away the dryness effectively.

Also, what do you do with your hair overnight? If I leave it loose it will get dry and tangly at the ends very quickly. As long as I keep it bunned, the ends stay moisturized and silky.

Edit: It's probably relevant that I use sulfate shampoo and silicone conditioner.
    I've tried to sleep with my hair in a braid or something but it always gets irritating because it's quite thick. I typically wash my hair and let it air dry then sleep with it loose and it'll be great that morning. Then I sleep with it loose again and the next morning is when it's all dry and tangly.

How do you sleep with the bun? That's pretty impressive. I think I'd have trouble sleeping!

Length
    24/38.25/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Sometimes I dampen unruly parts of my hair by running dripping wet hands over that area and then gently run some conditioner/leave in over that. Just adding some leave in on dry hair doesn't really do it. It's not a wash, but it includes water. I'm sure that if it works, one could also use a spritzer or mister for the water rather than just hands, I just didn't bother buying one.

I have no idea if this would work for you or if you really do need to go back to daily washes, I mention it because you say your hair doesn't seem to take in moisture unless it's wet, and I wondered if just dampening it might also work for you.

ETA: I also find that sleeping with a bun keeps my hair nicer, even for day 1 hair. When I do sleep in a bun, I wear a relaxed topknot with pins so that I can roll over to any side without a bump of a bun on the back of my head getting in the way. YMMV on what you find comfortable depending on your scalp, head, and sleeping position.
    Last edited by enting; May 15th, 2019 at 11:05 PM.

Length
    BSL/MBL/CL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I sleep on my side :P I secure it with a fork vertically so I don't even feel it when I lay sideways. Sometimes it comes loose when I toss and turn in my sleep, but it's still better than leaving it down.

Length
    chin/SL/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I spray rosewater on my hair and then put argan oil over it. Helps
    Hans and me playing my song "Through Hell".
    https://youtu.be/-Jmn5kWNMxM