Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos of sun-lightened hair?

Length
    13/13.5/38
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Photos of sun-lightened hair?

Those are older pictures of my hair. It had lightened a lot in the sun (I had made this collage to show the different colours of my hair under different lighting). I live in a cold climate so my hair is exposed to the hot sun only from May to September. Lemon juice was used only 2-3 times on a few streaks of hair. I also made honey-lemon-conditioner masks sometimes but never noticed lightening from that. The overall result is mostly natural sun lightening. I actually was going under the sun sometimes (and finding ways to protect my skin) only to lighten my hair!

As you can see, it is very damaging. Now that my hair is all grown out and new, I will be protecting it from the sun (especially between 11a.m. and 4p.m.!) I will never be able to grow my hair long otherwise, it's way too fragile.

I'm wondering if a heat protectant could protect hair from damage while allowing it to lighten under the sun? I doubt it though.

Last edited by Crysania; May 16th, 2019 at 05:45 PM. Reason: changing link

Length
    11 in/30 ap/65
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I don't know how to post pics lol but my brown hair does get bleached quite easily. My roots are lighter compared to the ends because the sun doesn't really touch the since they're always up or braided.
    I buy a lightening spray at wal mart, it cointains chamomile extract and peroxide so it works nicely and surprisingly, doesn't dry out my hair. I live in a really hot and sunny area so that contributes a lot even tho I only spend like 20-30 daily minutes under the sun.
    I've been spraying that thing on my hair for over 3 weeks and I've already found a couple *almost* platinum hairs, and since my hair is quite dark, finding hairs that light is very surprising!

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

There you go. This is an older pic, taken with an older phone, so it makes my hair look a little bit lighter, but you can see the sunbleach pattern pretty well.

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

love My sun bleached areas. When March rolled around my hair started lightening up as it got warmer down here.
    Last edited by AutobotsAttack; May 16th, 2019 at 02:57 AM.
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

My hair doesn't get that much sun but it will get lighter if I wear it loose a lot during summers. No aids, just sun damage. I started wearing hats last summer so my darker roots are a lot longer than in the past (it's quite obvious to me looking at my monthly length progress photos). I'm also going to start using a sun protection spray this summer to see if I can avoid some damage.

How my roots look

All natural

Highlighted but you can see my dark roots on the right

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    Haha! Maybe more like 20 or something, I really don't know but it is FAST. I notice black/rich/warm brown takes on red highlights, dark blonde/light brown/cooler shades take on blonde. My old best friend started with perhaps a dirty blonde color and got a very nice natural looking blonde over the summer using sun-in. I recall her being very religious with it though, everytime before we were getting ready to go for a hike or anything outdoors she'd be sure to use her sun-in, but I wasn't interested enough to see what else she did, how she applied it, or how long it took for her blonde to come out. Alas, we are no longer on speaking terms so I cannot ask.

Below is the best picture I have of my natural color, my bun and ends are good reference points to my exact shade although my ends don't appear as dark as they really are in this picture. The first couple inches of the roots are more accurate.

[IMG]

And here is not the best picture as I'm in a bit of shade and my hair was previously colored, but that's just how easily my hair pigment betrays me.

[IMG]

eta: the second pic is from 2017, my hair isn't that thin and busted anymore thank god xD
    It does look remarkably red indeed! Very beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
    Those are older pictures of my hair. It had lightened a lot in the sun (I had made this collage to show the different colours of my hair under different lighting). I live in a cold climate so my hair is exposed to the hot sun only from May to September. Lemon juice was used only 2-3 times on a few streaks of hair. I also made honey-lemon-conditioner masks sometimes but never noticed lightening from that. The overall result is mostly natural sun lightening. I actually was going under the sun sometimes (and finding ways to protect my skin) only to lighten my hair!

As you can see, it is very damaging. Now that my hair is all grown out and new, I will be protecting it from the sun (especially between 11a.m. and 4p.m.!) I will never be able to grow my hair long otherwise, it's way too fragile.

I'm wondering if a heat protectant could protect hair from damage while allowing it to lighten under the sun? I doubt it though.

Unfortunately I don't manage to view your photos, even when copying the attachment URL and pasting it on its own. It just shows black.

I think, if a heat protectant was to work at all, it would prevent lightening as well, much like a proper UV block for the skin prevents tanning, to a large degree at least (of course some does always get through).

Quote Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
    I don't know how to post pics lol but my brown hair does get bleached quite easily. My roots are lighter compared to the ends because the sun doesn't really touch the since they're always up or braided.
    I buy a lightening spray at wal mart, it cointains chamomile extract and peroxide so it works nicely and surprisingly, doesn't dry out my hair. I live in a really hot and sunny area so that contributes a lot even tho I only spend like 20-30 daily minutes under the sun.
    I've been spraying that thing on my hair for over 3 weeks and I've already found a couple *almost* platinum hairs, and since my hair is quite dark, finding hairs that light is very surprising!
    You can upload your photo to a hosting service like https://imgbb.com/ (I personally tend to use that one) or in your LHC albums, then right click the photo and copy the URL, then click on the photo icon when writing a post and attaching the URL there.

Your lightening progress does sound remarkable, though!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCelestina View Post

There you go. This is an older pic, taken with an older phone, so it makes my hair look a little bit lighter, but you can see the sunbleach pattern pretty well.
    That's very beautiful! Interesting to see how high up the lightening begins to show already. The ends seem to be a good... two tones lighter, at least?

Quote Originally Posted by AutobotsAttack View Post
    love My sun bleached areas. When March rolled around my hair started lightening up as it got warmer down here.
    That's also a remarkable amount of lightening! Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    My hair doesn't get that much sun but it will get lighter if I wear it loose a lot during summers. No aids, just sun damage. I started wearing hats last summer so my darker roots are a lot longer than in the past (it's quite obvious to me looking at my monthly length progress photos). I'm also going to start using a sun protection spray this summer to see if I can avoid some damage.

How my roots look
    [IMG]
    All natural
    [IMG]
    Highlighted but you can see my dark roots on the right
    [IMG]
    Wow, it's blending the bleach and your natural colour so nicely!
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Wow, it's blending the bleach and your natural colour so nicely!
    Thanks!

Length
    Neck/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/i

My hair is dark blonde but becomes quite a bit lighter during the summer. I think it being fine contributes to that. The only thing I like about fine hair haha. The ends are golden with some platinum strands whilst the roots are a dark ash blonde and that starts at about shoulder length. I'm interested in what colour my hair will be when longer. The majority of my hair being a light blonde is one of the main reasons why I want to grow it out.

Length
    13/13.5/38
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I uploaded the photos in a public album instead of private, it should work now.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
    I uploaded the photos in a public album instead of private, it should work now.
    Found it! Looks very nice.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links