Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: protective hairstyle when excercising (male)

Length
    2"/24"/80"
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Default protective hairstyle when excercising (male)

Hello, I have to admit I have stopped doing certain excercises such as running, because i can't think of a way to way my hair during running, (it would be simpler to wear a braid but i do not feel comfortable wearing a braid). I used to wear a simple ponytail but my hair is getting much longer so it gets very tangly, too tangly to keep it let down or in a ponytail. I tried a bun the other day but worry that this will cause much friction on my hair cuticles. I am in a bit of a dilema, maybe i will have to just stick with home weights? lol

Length
    24"/33"/Term
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: protective hairstyle when excercising (male)

You do not feel comfortable wearing a braid as in it hurts or as in you don't like the way it looks?
    On my way to hip length

Length
    2"/24"/80"
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
    You do not feel comfortable wearing a braid as in it hurts or as in you don't like the way it looks?
    I suppose i just don't feel comfortable with the way it looks, i have only just got comfortable wearing a bun, but being a young male in a big university I am not comfortable wearing a braid until it is at an extreme length.

Length
    shldr/APL/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Could you do a banded ponytail? Just put it in a ponytail like you normally would. Then add a few more bands down the length the keep it from tangling.

Length
    27/36"/long
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I was going to suggest a banded pony tail, too. But, I think a braid would be the best way to keep the tangles at bay. Or, a bun covered by a do rag maybe.
    Pegasus Marsters 117th wife
    Life is like a hot bath...the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Or take a leather shoelace thingy and criss-cross it down the length of your ponytail.

Length
    31/31/T
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Second the banded tail idea. I wear one for my Taekwon-Do training, and if it can stand up to 115 kg bouncing around and doing flying kicks without tangling in the slightest, it should do well for you. I use about a palm-width seperation between each band, it's a nice consistent measure that doesn't require me to see the back of my head, and seems to do the job quite well. (I use this style for sleep, too, and I hit nary a tangle when I do fancy things with it in the morning.)
    Mostly idle on the forums... the Mane forum is just too busy to keep up with! Love all you hairies, and I'll be coming by for advice!

Length
    12"/44"/?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

What's wrong with a bun? If you secure it properly it won't come loose on a run. You can use little jaw clips, or a stick. (I use a stick, personally).

Or you could try and do several small braids, and make a ponytail from the small braids.

Length
    2"/24"/80"
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

i usually wear headband type things and wrap them around my bun, but i worry that iif i am bouncing around lots running, the cuticle may get damaged by the rubbing of the headband (cotton). thanks guys, thats a good idea (wearing a banded ponytail), i did try that once but then ended up losing all my bands during my run haha. i ended up running back the way i came looking for my ponytail bands (they were a good kind). Luckily i found them. I will just have to wear them tighter. Thanks so much guys. God Bless

Length
    shldr/APL/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

My fil used to wear his hair like that when he rode his motorcycle. He said it worked for him. If it works on a motorcycle I'm sure it'll work for running. Maybe just make them tighter or look for some smaller bands. Happy Running!